Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm getting into coyote hunting and bench shooting. When predator hunting; does a bolt action gun really give you the opportunity for follow up shots? Any quicker than a single shot, really?
Don't you lose your sight picture either way (working the bolt or breaking down)?
When I was a kid, I was really quick at breaking open my 20ga. while following a squirrel through the trees with my eyes and getting a new shell in and a second or third shot off. (Why did I need a second or third shot? I don't know, give me a break.)

Just getting started, wanting to make sure it's something I'm going to want to do before laying down big money on a gun. If I can get by with a Rossi for now, and upgrade later.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Offhand, I'd say that if you're that worried about making fast follow-up shots, get a semiauto. If that's not an option, I'd still take a bolt gun over a single shot for predator hunting. Of course, some guys simply prefer single-shot guns, and that's fine. I happen to like the bolt guns. That's what makes the world go round.

Like so many things, this is a purely subjective decision. The best approach for most folks is to shoot something they're comfortable with -- and practice to gain sufficient proficiency that rapid follow-up shots are not a primary concern.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
POC, sooner or latter not having as quick a follow-up shot is going to cost you a coyote, fox etc. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go with the single shot. We're all mostly hunting fur bearers for fun, not profit these days anyways so you might as well enjoy yourself and hunt with whatever you like.

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Semiauto isn't an option, too much money at this point.

I love the Rem. VTR guns.

But I'm thinking for now that practicing with a single shot is probably going to be the best "bang for my buck" right now.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If buying a cheap break action is in the budget right now and it will get you in the wood hunting, go shopping .
I've never used a Rossi so I wont comment on them but I have used NO 1's and never felt handicaped for it.

IC B2

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen this "No 1" mentioned before. Is that a brand or a model? Got a link for it?
Thanks,
Patrick

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ruger No 1
Their not in the same price range as most of the break action rifles.

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ah, well presently I'm looking for something....economical.
Thanks, I'll continue looking.

Is a "nice" SS like a Rossi more apt to shoot better than a "cheap" bolt action, like the Stevens 200?

Patrick

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No, The stevens 200 has a reputation of beeing a great shooter for modest loot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jamie
No, The stevens 200 has a reputation of beeing a great shooter for modest loot.

This would be my recommendation as well. Can be modified as you have the funds but a great shooter out of the box.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another +1 on the Stevens 200...great shooters, an excellent place to start..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Might I also recommend the Marlin XL7 or XS7 series of bolt action rifles??
Held one with a camo stock in .25-06 and it felt really good for $325..... if wasn't for sale or it would have had a new home.

really like the bolt guns for all my hunting.... but I am scratching an AR itch at the moment.....but the main thing is to get whatever goes bang, and get out there!

burt2506

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
With a little practice, assuming the rifle fits well, a guy with a bolt gun can very rapidly place accurate shots.

It's not necessary to lift the head from the stock while working the bolt, particularly not with a short action rifle, say a .243 or a .308 Win or some other short cartridge.

In our local NRA Highpower matches I was a little surprised when I worked my Model 70 both faster and more accurately than the guys with the AR-15's. Not saying I can beat anyone, of course not, but I was faster and more accurate than those guys with their semi-autos. Would have been worlds faster than someone working a single shot.

Nothing wrong with single shots. I really like my Ruger Number One rifles and also my traditional muzzle loader which is Very Slow to reload. If you want to hunt with a single shot, do so! Many of us do. But don't expect it to keep up with a guy who knows how to run a bolt.

Regards, Guy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
POC: Best of luck in your upcoming two new ventures!
Personally I think your situation would be a great opportunity to buy TWO new Rifles!
I have done a lot of (and still do some!) night Hunting for Coyotes and other predators.
I made the mistake of ONCE taking a single shot Rifle on a night Hunt - the operative word here is ONCE!
I won't go into the particulars.
I own several single shot Rifles - both bolt action single shots and falling block single shots.
I prefer to use the single shots for Colony Varminting.
The one exception to that "policy" of mine is my ultra accurate Remington 40XB-KS single shot in 220 Swift!
I have only RARELY needed to reload that Rifle after firing a shot at a called in or happened upon predator!
Its trajectory is so flat and it is so accurate that predators don't have much of a chance when I am toting it - day or night!
Best of luck with whichever action you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The VTR is a good gun but not cheap. Someone just getting into it like you would benefit more from the bolt action. I have only heard good about Stevens and Marlin bolts. Savage Has the edge rifle for $330 on there site right now. Get any of those in .223 and you will never look back.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
For hunting yotes a single shot is probably slower than a bolt. In the book about Carlos Hathcock, it was stated that Carlos could get off accurate fire as fast as his spotter could with an M14. I have a single shoot bolt but have never tried "rapid" fire with it. I think with practice you should be able to get pretty quick with a magazine feed bolt as long as the recoil is not too sever. Practice with a 22LR and then move over to a 223. Should be able to stay right on the target.

Last edited by ajHilgy; 04/06/10.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for everyones input.

Lots of things to consider. I'll try to let you know what I end up with.

Patrick

P
P
Don't forget about the NEF single shots. I have two, a 223 and a 3006 and are great rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paddle
Don't forget about the NEF single shots. I have two, a 223 and a 3006 and are great rifles.

Do you have any others to compare them to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.