Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

[Linked Image]

Tell me about those calked boots..Are they essential where you guys hunt??? ( about the only time I see them mentioned is in connection with Alaskan or Canadian hunting)

Whats the main benifit?? Climbing over wind blow timber or are conditions just generally treacherous under foot??

I can't say I have ever seen them used in the UK, although they would have worked great in a few places I've stalked in Scotland.

I did see one chap using instep crampons to cross a steep wet grassy side slope...He stalked in the area enough to decide that it was worth carrying a set of those crampons in his pack and it did give them access to areas the rest of had to skirt around..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 07/25/10.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunter01,
I've hunted POW several times since first going in 1999. I've always hunted in the Fall. I've hunted with Johnnie twice before and will go again this Fall (for goat). I can't say enough good things about his operation! I guess you can tell I like it, going a third time. I don't know if Bobby works in the Spring, but he's the guide I always go with and he's one of the few I've been with in a tent in the wilderness that don't eventually piss me off. I won't attempt to give you any hunting advice, because things have changed alot since I went after bear, but trust me, Johnnie is a fount of knowledge and he won't steer you wrong. My first POW bear I shot with a Ruger Blackhawk, open sights, I'll have to tell you about it sometime.
Have a great time,
Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Tell me about those calked boots..Are they essential where you guys hunt??? ( about the only time I see them mentioned is in connection with Alaskan or Canadian hunting)

Whats the main benifit?? Climbing over wind blow timber or are conditions just generally treacherous under foot??

I can't say I have ever seen them used in the UK, although they would have worked great in a few places I've stalked in Scotland.

I did see one chap using instep crampons to cross a steep wet grassy side slope...He stalked in the area enough to decide that it was worth carrying a set of those crampons in his pack and it did give them access to areas the rest of had to skirt around..

Regards,

Peter

Steep and wet in the spring, summer and fall; steep, wet and snowed in during the winter. There are some parts of this countryside where you simply cannot travel without spikes. If you're here year-round, you need at least two pairs -- one light, like in the picture, and one heavy for winter. And trust me, they do not make one pair suitable for all 12 months.

If I go out in that kind of country this fall, you can know for sure that I will be wearing boots about exactly like those -- one slide is all I need, and I've had a couple... whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Royce
Just to be clear, I never hunted bears on POW and didn't mean to imply that I had. My comments about baiting being a common practice came from discussions with Skip, the guy that owned Log Cabin campground where I stayed. In his discussions with other outfitters, they seemed to think they got the largest bears by baiting.
On usual day, just by cruising the roads, you could see a couple of bears, and often I'd see one while driving the 5 or 6 miles from Klawock to Craig.
POW has seen a tremendous ( at least according to the locals)increase in bear hunting pressure since about 2005, and I think the larger bears are getting wised up and stay away from roads. I think there has been sime significant chamge in the bear huntings regs since I was there in 2007 to cope with the pressure and resultant increase in bear kill.

It's incredible, at least to me, how many bears there are in that coastal British Colmbia, Alaska rain forest. One afternoon, in about three hours driving from the Cassiar Highway over to the Stewart/Hyder area, I saw 14 bears along side the road.
If I were going to hunt bears on POW just for the fun of it, I'd do it by cruising the roads until I found lots of BIG bear poop in a section of road. Then I'd walk the nearest logging roads early morning and late day. I'd also take my canoe and use it to access some areas that were not so easily accessible.
If I was dead set on getting a huge bear, I think I'd try baiting, based on what I heard while I was up there.
Another really fun way would be to have a skiff so you could fish and set crab pots, but taking a skiff over on the ferry is pretty pricey.
POW is a great place. Love it there.

fred

Baiting for a large bear means they are passing over smaller ones. There is some knowledge and patience required . It's the others that shoot anything black over bait that I have a problem with. I'm referring to southeast Alaska as I understand the situation is different up north.

Last edited by megabucks; 07/25/10.

megabucks

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. � Anonymous

"It's Organic"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hunter01 should fit just fine in Alaska as they love liberal yankees. Make damn certain you spout this [bleep] off everywhere you go up there, it will add greatly to your enjoyment, and ultimately ours.

Originally Posted by hunter01
The scary thing is: We could of had John and her running the country. We'd be in even worse and deeper than we are now, trying to dig out of Bush's mess and failures. BO with bring this country back. Just give him time. Bush messed it totally up in only 8 years. That won't be repaird overnight.

Thanks for the 'floor.' Is that 'floor as in all the floors the Dems. control in Washington?' You can't see the good Obama is doing because you have your head so far up your igrorant Republican azz that you wouldn't recognize it if it bite you on the nose. So I won't waste my time on a pea brain like you and your other arrogant buds. Just Google 'Bush's failures' for the LONG lists on the net pointing out all his blunders. Go ahead, Google it! Go ahead. If you can't see the good Obama has already done, then, you SIR just aren't paying much attention. Already wasted more time on you than you deserve, soooooooooooooo, ENOUGH SAID.

Wow, you stupid Reps. just don't get it do you. The hard, unpopular decisions Obama is making are necessary to put our country back together after having it destroyed over the past 8 years of Dumbo Bush's administration. At least when Obama leaves office after his 8 years, he won't hold the record for leaving office with the LOWEST approval rating of ANY president in the HISTORY of our country. That award goes to G W.
Go ahead boys, Google "Bush's Failures", if you have the stones to do so. I'm betting you don't have the guts to do it because you don't want to see and hear the truth cuz you just can't stand it. You're all in denial anyway. You probably also don't think global warming is really happening either. And that is probably because Al Gore said so. U R just a bunch of azzholes!Ignorant ones too. Just keep putting your heads in the sand. Espocially DimRod.

Powell a racist? You're a sick man, with a twisted mind. Powell has more class in his little toe than Dick and Rush could ever dream of having. Sick-O! Powell voted for the best man. Along with millions of others. Thank goodness. And who won????
Obama has done more good to help this country in two months than Bush did in eight years. He's cleaning up Bush's failed presidency. And guess what? In case you haven't noticed because you've been to busy being negative, IT IS WORKING! Thank God for Obama.

Hunter01

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I've talked to Johnnie, my guide, and he really seems like a great guy. He's already given my lots of tips on what to bring, etc.
I plan on using my .300 Remington Ultra Mag. I've been debating either to use a 165 gr. or 180 gr. Nosler Partition. I'm leaning towards the 165 gr. I figure both should go clean through the bear under most situations. Shots usually aren't very far Johnnie said. Usually around 100 yards or under in most cases. The 165 gr. will be faster and create more of a shock wave. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for all the input. I can't wait until May 1st, 2011.

Sounds like over penetration to me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this a guided black bear hunt or brown bear?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't believe there are brownies on POW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sir,
All black bear on POW. No color phase either from what Johnnie says. All black. Johnnie does brown bear hunts on mainland.

Last edited by hunter01; 07/26/10.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did a lot of research before I booked with Johnnie. I talked with Alaskan DRN, and several other guides and outfitters. Several were very impressive, but after talking around, one name kept popping up. JOHNNIE. I talked to him 5 or 6 times on the phone. I could tell from talking to him that he knew his bear, and was expericenced at hunting them. I learned a lot from taking to him. He was really helpful advising me about hip boots, rain gear, etc. He knows his stuff. He knew a lot about guns, calibers, bullets, scope covers, sighting in, etc. He said my .300 RUM would be a great gun for bear. He also said the Nosler Partition was a great bullet to use. I've decided to use the 165 grain. I'm loading a Nosler 165 Solid base in it now, so I won't need to do to much load development with another 165 grainer. But I'll be checking to see how the Partition flys anyways. There was one nitwit in here that thinks .300 mags., etc. is to big for black bear. Something about DSMF. He's one himself it seems. I went caribou hunting last fall in Upper Quebec and half the guys in camp were using .300 mags. In my cabin alone 2 guys were using .300 short mags, another .300 wlby, me a .300 Rum, and another was using a .338 win. mag. And Johnnie himself said he uses a .338 win. mag. Guess we're all a bunch of DSMF according to this nitwit... Ha, ha. NOT! Just read in my latest edition of P.A. Game News that the .300 mags are the most popular caliber used in the over 1200 heads of game taken in 2009 for the B & C. 19% used them. Higher percentage than any other caliber. More DSMF again, right. Some folks are just trouble makers. I ignore them. You hear me SH?
I thank you for sharing your experiences with Johnnie, and your hunts. Would look forward to hearing about your special exciting hunt you had with him in the past. Your are really getting me excited to go on this hunt. I can't wait. Thanks again.

Hunter01

Last edited by hunter01; 07/28/10.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I used a 338RUM this year to kill my POW bear. 210xlc and 3100ish. It crushed that bear. I could have killed him with my 25-06ai, but the RUM just does the job sooo well. Use whatever you want. It's your hunt.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree, your 25-06ai would of done the job, but it is nice to smash those critters with those big booming bone crushers. Hit em with your 338 RUM, and they know they've been hit. It is just nice knowing you have all that power at your finger (trigger) tips.

Last edited by hunter01; 07/27/10.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm thinking I'm going to haul my 338rum/210X up to the top tomorrow and blast a deer with it. Just because I can. Bet I'll waste less meat than if I hit him with a cup and core bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking (and to each his own) that if I were going back to POW for bear, I might get one of those .45 cal Marlin stainless lever guns (NOT PORTED), with a 4X scope. Ranges are short, and rain is plentiful. I'm taking a NULA in .30-06 for the goat hunt. It's light weighing 6lbs 6.6oz (note that 666 is the sign of the beast, I'm just sayin'). I have a new scope, though, a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 (now there's my overkill!). I just love that magnification. Johnnie has already warned me to make sure I'm sighted in at 100yds and don't have to fiddle with the scope to be ready at 100.....good advice! Come to think of it, if I tag the goat early, I just might be over on POW at the Hollis cabin, after Deer or bear, but I'd prefer the deer......love gaining altitude.
Don
PS best to not respond to the haters (gators)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nothing better than muzzle energy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That .45 Marlin should be a great bone crusher for POW bear. Johnnie told me too that ranges aren't far. He said too to sight in at 100 yards. He said to know where gun is hitting at 50-60 yards too. He said we'd be using electrical tape to cover the muzzle too. I have a muzzle break on my RUM. He said to check zero using tape over break too, to see if that changes anything. Just little things like this that impressed me about Johnnie. I can sure tell he's been around bear hunting for a while and knows what he is doing.
By the way, this hunt is a one guide/two hunter deal. A buddy and I are going together. I hope that doesn't cause any problem with the bear hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't think that would make any difference, having two. You'll have a great time!
Don

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 16,136 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,192
Posts18,543,457
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.