Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
...researched it, checked the reviews made a decision then had the items placed on my wish list at Cabelas, Orvis,Tilleys and Tag Safari.Benn breaking in my hikers for over a month already. Go off to a cookout last night and this topic comes up. 2 guys who've been there twice now spoke of Woolrich Tactical Elite clothing line. Said it was perfect for not only the hunt but practical for use once the hunt is all finished. Never even heard of their tactical line.

Funny thing about planning for a Africa hunt. Undergo tons of research, bug friends and the "24" for tons of answers to questions, make a decision to pull out my wallet and then BAM, someone comes up with a morsel that trip blocks you.

Anybody ever hear of or field test this gear?? I have to go long sleeves and long pants not so much because of the thorns but because I am a frikken magnet for every biting insect on this planet.

By the way folks...I really do appreciate the time you take to answer these inquiries, stupid or not. I've made many, many decisions simply by what I have read here and speaking to the guys over the phone.

This trip will cost me a near 30K so my quest for near perfection may seem annoying to some so thanks for not pointing it out in spite of it all.

PS...I'll get anyone off of a traffic charge in exchange for air miles!!

Last edited by isaac; 07/25/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
isaac, probably no better/no worse than the other gear mentioned. When the boys check in, if 10 answer, you probably get 10 different answers. Hell, i'm a carhartt/blue jeans kinda guy, myselfgrin. If ya haven't made a purchase yet, try the Woolrich, if ya have, I wouldn't sweat it. Asking about safari clothes on here, is akin to asking about the best stopping rifle for africa, ya just ain't gonna win!wink

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/25/10.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The idea of being able to utilize the clothing outside the hunt appeals to me. The pants, apparently, are designed for conceal carry of the smaller calibers.

I know it's just opinions and I also know those opinions who carry a lot of weight with me,such as yourself.

Before I fork out the 700-1000 beaners, getting those opinions won't hurt me none. Confuse yeah, hurt no.

Plus, it's a part of the fun.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Elite Series of pants and shirts. They make two weights the light weight, which is more of a rip-stop material and the standard cotton weigth, which is of a heavier material, 13 or 14 ounce, I think. There are pockets galore on the trousers, which were well thought out. In the trousers I only have the standard weight, which is slightly warm for the SoCal summer range sessions. However, they seem to be more wear resistant and look better than the light weight trousers, if your worried about thorns and such. With that being said, I was given two pairs of the standard weight trousers, a standard weight s/s shirt and a light weight l/s shirt to field test for range wear / training. The trousers also work for casual everyday wear, which, I do use them for. With an untucked printed shirt they make for excellent concealed carry.

Now, let me throw a twist into this. Even thought I like the Woolrich series. I perfer the 5.11 line of clothing. They are much cooler and I wear them in the summer in SoCal and Az for range, training and everyday wear. They are lighter weight, less expensive and also well thought out. They have pockets inside the knee areas for padding, which they sell. But they will perfectly fit kevlar Trauma Pads, which I perfer to use, for kneeling and crawling. The trousers and shirts also come in a larger variety of colors; sage, tundra, coyote, green, kakhi as well as black. The shirts have hidden chest pockets, which comes in handy for travel documents, maps, l/w pistol, etc..

They also make a shorts version of the trousers. I have several pairs of those also.

I've alway thought if I were to go on safari I would take/wear a few pairs of the 5.11 trousers in either sage, tundra or coyote. a few of the s/s shirts in the same colors and possibly one l/s shirt, along with a pair or shorts or two. Pair those items with one of their Sabre jackets for cooler mornings/evenings and I think I would be good to go.

I hope this helps. Check out their website at 5.11.com.

Respectfully.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: the only bugs I've ever seen on Safari were Tse-Tse's and they bite through anything. Avon skin-soft repellent took care of that. I just wore a Windshear wool sweater in the early morning then shorts and cotton shirts and a hat.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Your legs didn't get torn up sneaking through the thorn bush??

What about mosquitoes at dusk?? Your Tse-Tse's biting through anything comment nonplusses me a bit. Even if you spray your clothes down with something?? I'd take snakes and diarrhea over biting bug bites,man!! They truly F me up!!

Remember,Jorge, I got tore up in that Texas hunt 2 months ago and I still have 2 small scars from those bites.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Your legs didn't get torn up sneaking through the thorn bush??

What about mosquitoes at dusk?? Your Tse-Tse's biting through anything comment nonplusses me a bit. Even if you spray your clothes down with something?? I'd take snakes and diarrhea over biting bug bites,man!! They truly F me up!!

Remember,Jorge, I got tore up in that Texas hunt 2 months ago and I still have 2 small scars from those bites.

Shorts ~v~ Long pants...

Theres pro's and cons of both and the answer will be a personal one, based on your preferences, the habitat where your hunting and the weather. Simple answer is to take both..3 pairs of shorts won't take much room and you then have the option. I don't care much for the cargo shorts with dozens of pockets, and much prefer plainish cotton shorts in a drab colour.

As to trousers, I took some ex army British "lightweights" and some similar slightly heavier German ex Mil and they were fine..I have seen some green jeans that would work too, but might be a bit warm in very hot weather..

Shirts I'd go for long sleeve light weight cotton...again nothing fancy is needed..

For the trip over I'd wear tidy travelling clothes but in colours that make them suitable to hunt in if needed. I'd also wear my hunting boots and carry my binos with me..

I'd pack one pair of shorts, two shirts and two pair of trousers and similar amounts of underwear and sock in my hand luggage for the plane trip over. I'd also include my wash kit with a battery razor plus any other "essentials"..

That way if my main luggage didn't show once I reached Africa, I did still be able to hunt..

Most folks take way too many clothes and in fact way to much "stuff" in general...travel light and you'll be thankful!

Last edited by Pete E; 07/25/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Isaac,

If you are concerned about the thorns tearing you up, then I can recommend the Orvis Rhino hide pants, really tough and will shed the thorns. Wore them on a couple safaris, and they are very good, though a little warm due to their weight.

For most of my hunting now though, I prefer shorts,a tee shirt and a sleeveless hunting vest. Walking bare legged you may get scratched by the thorns, but you will be quieter. hThe idea is to walk around them, not through them, like your flushing pheasants. Pants will always get caught up. Most of my safari clothing I consider disposable. Other then my boots, which I buy the best quality footwear I can afford, after my safari has ended i leave my clothes behind for the locals, who normally wear either coveralls or pretty much rags. I have left boots behind as well when there was someone in great need.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ZERO mosquitoes. too dang dry for them where you are going. My legs did suffer a bit, mostly from crawling on my knees, but I'd much rather take that than long trousers that get heavy and stick to you when you sweat. The Avon skin-so soft repellent took care of the Tse-Tses. It's a tradeoff Bob and you might want to go with the long trousers. For me, shorts all the way. When I hunted the Lowvedlt, there were ZERO bugs except the occassional fly. More bugs here in Florida than I ever saw over there.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wrestled with the same issues before my first safari. FWIW here's what worked for me:

First regarding fabrics, do not use fancy synthetics if you are any place where they will use charcoal irons. Synthetics melt! Cotton (wool blend socks) all the way for me.

I hate wearing shorts in brush so I hunt in long pants. I use Cabelas trail hiker pants. They have reinforced knees that help with crawling.They are light cotton and breathe well. There are probably many others that work as well.

My favorite hot weather shirts are the TAG Safari vented shirts. I am wearing it right now. The cotton in these shirts breathes VERY well.

I wear a Tilley Hemp Hat (mocha color) on safari. It is cool and keeps the sun off the back of my neck and ears.

For cool mornings, I use a Cabelas wool windshear sweater.

I always bring a pair of light weight Mechanix gloves. You can buy them at Lowes or the like. Nice to have when on your hands and knees or climbing kopis.

Enjoy, 405wcf

IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I understand your tradeoff comment,Jorge.

William Arthur Ward

H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
One of my last minute, debated purchases was a pair of the Long Grass gaiters. I did a 20 min. walk without them and always wore them after that. If you're going to be doing any bush walking really consider them. Perhaps others who hunted mainly in long pants (which sounds like is going to be your choice) can give you a beter idea if you need this added protection However I found that even when I had my zipoff pants/shorts in long mode they were still useful.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
isaac,

What Pete E says, makes a lot of sense. Take as much stuff as possible in your carry on, wear some of your hunting gear, so if your bag goes missing you are still ready to hunt.

I've looked at the Tactical Elite line, but my interest was in the parka/shell for hunting in the winter here in Oz. For Africa, just about any good quality cotton clothes will do; I wear shirts I bought in Windhoek and olive or coyote tan jeans, which being heavier, give a lot more protection from thorns etc. Might not work for hot weather though........

One thing you WILL really need is a WINDPROOF jacket or sweater for those early/late rides in the truck. It gets bloody freezing in those trucks!!! It should be thorn proof too........Carrhart is good, I wear a Windstopper soft shell. Wind proof fleece works, but it will be torn to bits by the end of the hunt!

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks for that Blair. My winbreaker stuff is fleece at around 120 bucks a pop. Knowing that it would likely be torn to shreds gave me a good education as I was focused on the silence as well as warmth.

I got the packing light down pat from my previous trips to Quebec for caribou hunts. Those bush planes limit you on weight and with weather changing every 5 minutes there, you had to learn how to pack. I'm assuming my only chill worries in Africa are from wakeup till about 9 and whatever time the sun goes down till bed.I'm thinking Africa will be easier to pack for then Quebec in August/September but your fleece being torn comment helps as far as using the right material for the cold hiking periods. I'm thinking my Orvis wool sweater with windstopper will work for that concern.

How about thongs?? Leopard ones don't flatter me as they do Ingwe so I was thinking of some that contrasted nicely with dusk and the glow of the firepit! Auburn glitter??

Thanks for the advice,guys! I'll go with the long pants that zip down to shorts and try both styles of hunting. Long sleeves that roll up and attach to short sleeve and some kind of Tilley hat or the like.

Somebody suggested that since I'm taking my wife, we should pack 50/50 of each others stuff in our respective bags in case one doesn't make it. I will wear a hunt outfit,sans thong, for the flight and that suggestion is well received.

Would gear purchased in Windhoek stores be reasonable or do they jack the prices knowing someone who does so is in a jam?

William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm thinking 3 pair Carhartt pants, shorts, a few short sleeve shirts (old yellow), a long sleeve shirt, fleece windblocker jacket, baseball cap and skull cap.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Figure if I can hump around Africa hot east Texas in July hunting in swim trunks and sneakers then Africa in June should be a snap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm thinking 3 pair Carhartt pants, shorts, a few short sleeve shirts (old yellow), a long sleeve shirt, fleece windblocker jacket, baseball cap and skull cap.

Throw in a pair of leather work gloves, and I think you've got everything covered..

Of course you won't look as stylish as Bob.... grin

Last edited by Pete E; 07/25/10.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
To me that is the GREATEST attraction about a hunt in Africa. If I went for a 10 day trip to SE Alaska in November I'd have to ship everything I needed.

I think between the carry on backpack, sticking some socks and tee's in with the guns, I'll only need a very small bag for ammo, spare scope and extra pair of shoes (sneakers I'm thinking).

I'll wear the Carhartt pants, shirt sleeve shirt and chukka boots there. Have a pair of pants, shirt, fleece, socks, camera, hat and binos in the carry on back pack.

Last edited by Steelhead; 07/25/10.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You know, if it weren't for the ammo in another bag thing I think I could pull it off with just a rifle case and carry on backpack.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Which brings me to rifle case, thinking about pulling the action from the stock so as to get it in a short case. Yes/no?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 808outdoors, 7 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,952
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.