Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a bit of free time today, so stopped by the club to shoot a bit. I had a 22 revolver, and a scoped 77/22 with me.

They have three separate, but overlapping, 22 courses in the woods. One is for pistols, and two for rifles (one is 10 stations of 5 targets each, one shot per target, high score wins, if shooting against a buddy. The other is 22 golf, where you shoot at the target until you hit it, on 18 "holes". Low score wins.). All shooting is from the offhand position.

The targets are at various distances, ranging from maybe 20 yards out to about 50 yards, with a 135 yard (!) target on the last station for a real change of pace, and are steel reactive targets. They are spray painted white or orange, so that you can pick them out in the woods. All shapes and sizes, but all small. Some are standard silhouettes (ram, turkey, etc), some are fish, some are an "S" of steel, some are discs with a hole in the center, some are a length of chain, some spin, some swing on a hook, etc. The oddly shaped ones make for an interesting challenge (what's the best place to hold on an "S"?). On one station, I was looking at a small (as in about 1" square) target through my scope, and didn't know what it was, until I hit it. It was a railroad spike, with a rod welded to it sideways, allowing it to hang from a frame with nothing but the top of the head facing you! When I hit it, and it swung backwards, I got a look at it. There was another railroad spike hanging vertically a few stations down the path.

It was great practice, and great fun. It sure beats shooting bullseyes, or even round or square steel. Instant feedback, hit or miss. And shooting a 1" target, offhand, at about 35-40 yards? Yep, it's challenging enough to keep your interest way up!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That sounds like a ton of fun! I am getting ready to join our local rifle range (the only one we have), I hope they have something like that!

This year I am finally getting back to the .22's and am having a ball with it!

NRA Life Member
Shoot Straight-Shoot Often (my thoughts on deer drives)
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That does sound like fun!

I took the SS/synthetic 10-22 out to the range the other day.
It wears an old Weaver K4 and needed to be sighted in.

There were LOTS of broken clay birds and other small targets left out at the 100 yard mark, so when I got it zeroed at 50, I set to work on them.

Now that was a blast!
I spent a good hour just turning big things into smaller things and ran through a couple hundred rounds.

A good .22lr and a pile of ammo is a good thing!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That sounds like a REALLY fun place for an afternoon of plinkin'!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,291
Posts18,525,732
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.