Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for everyone's experience with any of the following:

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
Lathrop & Sons Trapper Top GTX
Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme (Sheep Hunter)

I know try before you buy for fit but I'm just wondering for those of you who have one of these boots why they're your preference. Thanks!

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've worn the Lowa Sheep Hunter and the lighter Lowa Tibet for years. For me they fit great, are comfortable and have proven to be tough! Schnee's also has a new boot that just came out called the Granite that may fit into your list of potential boots as well.

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just got a pair of the Lowa's this year...the uninsulated version. They are great. Been hiking in prep for a sheep hunt and will be using these. No experience with Latrop, but the Kenetreks are very narrow and they didn't make wide in the uninsulated version. I have wide feet and the wide Lowa's are perfect.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am on my second pair of Lowa Tibets and they fit me like a glove since the first day. They are tough, flexible enough for loong hikes, and rigid enough for rocky terrain.

I have been using a pair of Sheep Hunters for the last year, getting them ready for my hunt in the Brooks Range in a few days, and I am very happy with them. So much, in fact, that I regret not having used them in all these years.

BBerg.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have been trialing the Lowa Sheep hunter vs the new Lowa Tibet Pro.

Both are Goretex. The Tibet Pro is uninsulated, the sheephunter is insulated. The sheep hunter is 2 inches taller and is heavier. The sheephunter sole marks up the floor, the Tibet pro does not. Both are very comfortable. The Sheephunter takes longer to break in. The design of the Tibet pro allows much quicker break in. The tibet pro has a new tongue gusset?

Both are totally waterproof and breathe well. I have stood/waded in 6-8 inches of water for 15 minutes with no leak at all.

Major caveat- I have not yet tested them in the mountains. That is pending.

IC B2

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BBerg, I'll be in the Brooks too in a few days...August 12-20

Anyone with any experience with Lathrop (HanWag)?

Last edited by Romo; 07/29/10.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just bought a pair of Hanwag mountain light GTX from Lathrop,They are great boots and you get great service from Dusty at lathrop&Sons !

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
can't compare since hanwags are all I have... but I wouldn't trade em from my experiences with them. Hair heavy but HEAVY duty....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not much to compare to either, but I'm very happy with my Lathrop Hanwags. I've got a couple of seasons on them and they are still in real good shape.

I used to get pretty sore feet after 3 miles or so with my old Asolo's. The Lathrop system cured that for me. If my Asolo's didn't have so many miles on them I'd be tempted to try a Lathrop footbed in them for warmer weather light duty hiking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa Tibet checking in here... if they fit, you won't be disappointed. Haven't tried the others.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Totally love my Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400's and my Hardscrabbles.

Haven't worn the others.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, my Mountain Extremes have been pretty much over-broken-in during the last couple of hunting seasons and have done better than the boots of most of my hunting companions during that stretch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had the Lathrop Hanwag mountain lights since they started carrying them. Wonderful boot and system. And I've got hundreds of miles on them.

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
can't compare since hanwags are all I have... but I wouldn't trade em from my experiences with them. Hair heavy but HEAVY duty....

Do you have the Trapper Tops? What's the weight?

Originally Posted by ken999
Not much to compare to either, but I'm very happy with my Lathrop Hanwags. I've got a couple of seasons on them and they are still in real good shape.

I used to get pretty sore feet after 3 miles or so with my old Asolo's. The Lathrop system cured that for me. If my Asolo's didn't have so many miles on them I'd be tempted to try a Lathrop footbed in them for warmer weather light duty hiking.

Trapper Top? or the Alaska GTX?

What boots did you guys have before the Lathrop (HanWag)?

Last edited by Romo; 07/29/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (2500HD, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,559
Posts18,473,130
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.