[Linked Image]

LMAO

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Found my 7-08 Ti sitting in the back of the safe without a scope on it.. How did that happen?
I got a scope for it.....send it to me and I will put it on. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So mostly what I"m reading here is that the deer Jon A is posing with... can't actually be dead, because he didn't use a 6x.... ya know thats how y'all is coming across to folks that don't understand your games.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or, they couldn't have been killed with a 6x...cuz thats how he comes across to folks that don't understand a blowhard.

It is amusing to read the hypothetical crap he comes up with for argument sake..That are non-issues in the real world, but he wouldn't know that, cuz he's never sorted it out, other than in an armchair.

I actually prefer a 10x over a 6x, but after reading too many BS posts by Jon, I finally said something in this one...I'm not advocating the 6x is the be all end all in rifle scopes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I totally agree that anything can be killed with a 6x... but when it comes to sorting out.... thats different, but given a single target... 6x is actually enough and that would easily work way on out there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=rosco1]Or, they couldn't have been killed with a 6x...cuz thats how he comes across to folks that don't understand a blowhard.

It is amusing to read the hypothetical crap he comes up with for argument sake..That are non-issues in the real world, but he wouldn't know that, cuz he's never sorted it out, other than in an armchair.

I actually prefer a 10x over a 6x, but after reading too many BS posts by Jon.............quote]

Good to see someone out there actually understands. A very accurate asessment, methinks........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer to mount my 6X backwards so stuff seems really farish......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe you typed all those words, just to prove you are a [bleep] hunter....

As expected, instead of answering anything that would require you had a bit of knowledge or experience, you call me a name. Ouch. You're a real winner. Oh, and Karma's a bitch.

Took inventory this morning. Do I like 6x42's? Yep. My safe is dominated by them,

Thanks for the confirmation. So we know that:

1) You have never done any real amount of long range shooting.

2) You don't own/have never used any scope higher than 6X.

Therefore, you're here in the Long Range Section, telling us that 6X scopes are the absolute best for Long Range.

That tells us all we really need to know right there.

Well, there's more to tell I guess. It appears you do have some experience at "long range" (285 whole yards!) taking an animal while "scope clicking" (yes, he clicked the scope for a 285 yard shot!).

[Linked Image]

Wow. Just, wow. Of course I'm not the type of person of such low character I'd call another hunter a [bleep] hunter for shooting small, immature animals. Maybe I just don't know "what kind" of deer that is. Is that a pygmyblackmidgetmoustailed deer? I'm not familiar with all the species you guys have up there. This could be a trophy for all I know.

You actually clicked up for a 285 yd shot! Good thing you had those turrets!

I spotted (and they spotted me) 3 very large bucks across a bowl up in alpine, 500 yards. Had I been proficient with turrets and LR shooting, I would have gotten one of them

Now that's just sad. And you come to the Long Range section to call people names and tell them what equipment they should be using. Sad.

You are a child. You have not yet learned how to walk. You have zero knowledge or experience from which to speak. You're the last person in the world who should be calling people names over their running form.

When people with infinitely more experience than you are nice enough to spend some of their valuable time explaining things to you, you'd be best served to listen and try to learn.

Or you can stay proud and never learn, so any buck much beyond muzzleloader range will continue to be completely safe from your skills, or lack thereof.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you know those "BS posts by Jon" those guys were talking about?

that was another one...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The backpack does make that deer look kinda small.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This has been an interesting thread....... grin

I will disqualify myself as a real "LR Shooter/Hunter" since my ability to practice regularly ends at 600 yards back here,and compared to some living on the east coast i am pretty lucky to have even that....

When I shoot 600 yards I have done it successfully on the range with a 6X scope;and in the game fields I have forced a fixed 4X to service at 400-500 yards on elk, antelope and mule deer, so my short answer is "yes" I think 6X is "enough" for those distances.......

...and at the same time I suppose I could think of situations to be encountered in the field, where more power could be helpful as well,though I must admit that a bull elk or moose looks pretty darn big to me even through a 4X at 600 yards grin....but like my Alberta outfitter says......"it can't hurt to see a little bit more hair around that reticle sometimes........." grin

When we have to make decisions in split seconds on the size game, I am a binocular guy myself, but can understand where a quick evaluation through a scope could be handy when game is positively ID'd and we are ferreting animals from a small group or herd.

OTOH I have never seen a truly large whitetail, mule deer, or elk that did not just leap off the page at me,and with or without bins they looked like exactly what they were.......BIG!

Like many issues raised on the CF, best way to determine if a 6X is good for shooting to 600 yards is......(drum roll).....to do it;get out and shoot one to 600 yards smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This rather funny, and I wish I wasn't going fishing here in a few so I could put together a better response. 3am? Having trouble sleeping?

-Post your 6x scopes.
-Post where I said I've never done any LR shooting
- show me a hunter who doesn't have some dink pictures. The issue isn't having dink pictures, it's only having dink pictures.. which is your problem.
-enlighten me where I said a 6x scope was the Absolute Best
#5, show me where "dominated" means exclusively.

You are simply retarded. I can here you whimpering all the way from up here. I could go out tomorrow and kill a buck at 4-800 yds, with any of the rifles I have pictured. Will that make me any more or less skilled? Hell no. It'd make me a something I have no desire to be. I'll do everything in my power to get closer and take the closest ethical shot possible. I'd take the long shot if the right buck, in the right conditions presented himself though. Their are a lot of guys on here who could out shoot you and have better rifles than you, but have no desire to intentionally take LR shots at animals, just so they can join some imaginary club you set up.

Long Range hunting means different things, to different people. For some of us, it means hunting at long range with the aid of optics, and being prepared to take a long range shot if that is our only option to take an exceptional animal. It is not wearing our Elmer Fudd hat and intentionally setting up at a long distance and shooting the first dink we see walk across the field.

Explain to us this imaginary club you have set up. How many dinks does a guy have to shoot at beyond 400 yds in a field before he joins your circle of jerking..?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My lone clicking meat buck.
[Linked Image]
Spotted him at 580 bedded down on a ridge top, thought about taking the shot, but had cover to navigate closer. Made it to around 285 before I got to the point where I couldn't get any closer without losing sight of him. Clicked a whopping 2.2moa and made a perfect lung shot on him while he was still bedded down. I could have just held 6" high and hit the lungs on him while bedded down, but using the turrets was just way cooler.

Honestly, my lightbulb moment was 2 seasons ago when I spotted (and they spotted me) 3 very large bucks across a bowl up in alpine, 500 yards. Had I been proficient with turrets and LR shooting, I would have gotten one of them, as they stopped several times to look at me, as they worked their way up a slide and into and endless sea of cover, never to be seen again. I ended up settling on a smaller 4x4 buck that trip, but that sure got me thinking about the advantages of being able to take a longer shot with confidence, in the field. The big mountain bucks up here that have survived a few alpine seasons and their share of mountain hunters didn't get big by being stupid, that's for sure. I've spent a considerable amount of time practicing for that 4-500yd shot with my lwt mountain rifles. Who knows, but it could pay off here this fall. Lord knows I'll be up on the mountains looking.

Last edited by joecool544; 08/03/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few quick points:
-Post your 6x scopes.

You are a dull one, aren't you. Other than the fixed 4X atop the 30-30 I used in the early 80's, all the scopes I've hunted with have been capable of 6X. And they do, in fact, spend a great deal of time on 6X while hunting. What it's like to use a 6X scope is no mystery to anybody. We've all been there and done that.

Using a high powered scope for long range shooting, is a mystery to you. That's the point. Maybe someday when you actually try one, you'll see they're a better tool for the job.
-Post where I said I've never done any LR shooting

Your own words quoted by Joe above clearly show you by any stretch have yet to do "any real amount of long range shooting."

I could go out tomorrow and kill a buck at 4-800 yds, with any of the rifles I have pictured.

Easy there, buckaroo. A few weeks ago you were only good to 4-500? And now you're ready to fling lead at 800? There's a large difference between the two and I'd advise you to take things a bit more gradually for the animals' sake.

You know, work your way up gradually. Maybe take one at 286 or 287 yds...break that monumental 300 yds threshold first....

It is not wearing our Elmer Fudd hat and intentionally setting up at a long distance and shooting the first dink we see walk across the field.

When all else fails, make something up, eh? I've never done anything of the sort (not that there's anything wrong with it for those who want to) and if you weren't the dimmest bulb in the fixture this thread makes that pretty obvious. If I was doing that, I'd certainly have the spotter and bigeyes setup as there would be plenty of time to do it--the exact opposite of what I've been saying. But don't let facts get in your way.

Explain to us this imaginary club you have set up.

Since you made it up and it exists only in your imagination, why are you asking me to explain it? I have zero interest in "clubs." I'll leave that to you and the rest of the Big Stick Fan Club. How many 6X42's with turrets do you need to buy to get into that one?

Which brings me to:

with any of the rifles I have pictured.

I noticed ALL of your rifles have turrets. And yet, just a little while ago 500 yds was way beyond your capabilities. What on earth were you doing with all those turrets all that time? I guess they looked good for the pictures.... Clear evidence of "I wanna be like Big Stick" syndrome that afflicts your Big Stick Fan Club.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toad
you know those "BS posts by Jon" those guys were talking about?

that was another one...

Care to be specific? Was that not Calvin's trophy long range kill? Did he not say those things (they were exact quotes)?

Answer this:

Since the L 6X42 is the best scope for long range, why don't you use them on your long range rifles? Why have you wasted so much money on those fancy high powered very expensive long range scopes?

Explain yourself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JonA

Answer this:

Since the L 6X42 is the best scope for long range, why don't you use them on your long range rifles? Why have you wasted so much money on those fancy high powered very expensive long range scopes?

Explain yourself.

top rifle is a 12 pound range toy.

bottom rifle is a brux barreled .264 hunting rig. note the optics. the HUNTING rig wears the 6x42 M1

now, maybe rifle "A" might work fine for shooting dinks in an alfalfa field besides pounding steel, but rifle "B" is gonna be the one to really go hunting and it will be the one i count on most betwixt the two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'd shoot something in the face with either of them!!! grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didn't answer the question. If the 6X is better, or even as good for long range, why don't you have one on your long range rife? Stating you don't hunt with it is not an answer. This is the Long Range Hunting section, where many hunt with long range rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you are an idiot!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toad, NICE sticks, what's that LA range toy chambered in?

6.5/284 or 300 Win?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.