Print Thread
Hop To
HEB330 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tom,
Regarding your article on antelope hunting in the Dakota winter issue:
1. Last time I saw that laminate stocked Model 97 it was a 300 Dakota. Did you rebarrel or get a twin in 7mm?
2. Why the apologetic tone about using the "big 7mm Dakota" that "might be a bit of overkill"?
3. There are many 140 grain bullets that would not have "... performed about like a hand grenade." even at close range. The Swift A-Frame and NorthFork come to mind. I really don't see how the inclusion of this last paragraph adds to the article. How come?

Not trying to start an argument, but really want to know. In fact, if willing, PM me and we'll chat or I'll give you my number and we can talk. I have a 76 in 7mm Dakota and a 97 in 330. Huge fan of theirs.

Lastly, that was an incredible antelope! Congratulations.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HEB330; 02/06/05.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
HEB330,

Many thanks for your questions and glad you liked the piece on the pronghorn. I also congratulate you on being a very astute observer.

I still have the laminate stocked Dakota 97 in 300 Dakota. I liked it so well that I had them make a twin - except with a 24 instead of 26 inch barrel, chambered for the 7mm Dakota. Neither is a cataloged item.

Given my druthers, I would have preferred a less powerful cartridge than the 7 Dakota for pronghorn. My preference would have been something on the order of a 25-06, 257 AI or my old 270. However, I needed to use a Dakota rifle on the hunt and chose to use one of my personal rifles rather than a borrowed gun. As I stated in the yarn, the smallest Dakota I own is the 7mm. I suppose the "apologetic tone" came from the fact that I am a very big fan of pronghorn venison and I lost a lot of delicious meat on that animal.

You are, of course, correct that there are a lot of 7mm bullets out there that would not have performed in such an explosive manner. I have used many Swift A-Frame bullets and am very familiar with how they perform. I haven't yet used any North Fork bullets but have heard from several folks whose judgement I have learned to trust that they are great bullets. I used the Nosler Accubond bullets simply because I had not previously used them on anything and did not know how they would perform on game. I included the information in the story because that is what happened.

As we both know, a sample of one is worse than useless when it comes to statistics. Perhaps I got the one bullet that was a bit soft when driven at 7 Dakota velocities or perhaps the bullet had a flaw that I couldn't detect. Note that I did not say that they are lousy bullets in the story - I only reported what happened. I would expect a bonded core bullet, any bonded core bullet, to be somewhat less explosive though.

No worry about starting an argument. Your questions are certainly valid ones and I have no problem answering them or discussing them with you - either here, in a PM or on the phone.

Many thanks for the kinds words on the pronghorn. He was one of those few animals that was bigger on the ground than he was standing. I've had a lot of them shrink between the shot and when I got to them - this one was my first that grew!He ended up officially measuring 83-3/8 gross and 83-0/8 net B&C. He's my best pronghorn to date.

Thanks again and if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask them here or give me a PM.

Tom

HEB330 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tom,

Thanks for the (as usual) detailed and professional response. I have to add once more that your pronghorn is fantastic. To take one scoring 83 inches is a once-in-a-lifetime buck.

Based on how much I liked your first laminate stock that was reported in a Guns Magazine article, I had Paulette build me one as well on a 76 action in 7mm Dakota. I ordered a light Obeche laminate blank from Shehane's and the finished rifle is a dream. I attached a stainless Walther barrel finished at 26", with a slightly heavier weight. With 150 Scirocco's it is AMAZING! Thanks for the inspiration.

Again, thanks for the reponse. Your words typically ring true to my ears.

Henry

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,282
Posts18,505,117
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.