Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Does anyone load their big boomers for small game with lighter weight bullets or cast bullets? I use casl loads in my .30-30, .308, and .30-06 plus some 78 grn 7mm pistol bullets in my 7x57.

DN

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin .45-70, 300 or 350g LaserCast BBFP, 13.5g HS6, Lee Crimp, 1167fps and 1097fps respectively. Near one-hole accuracy and good to 50 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a lee 115 gr cast over ~12 gr of unique in the .308. Lots of fun, and at 50 yds they group suprisingly well.

I'd like to work up a load in my 458 Lott using paper patched cast pistol bullets for ~1200 fps loads. I have loaded 470 gr cast @ 1100-1200 fps in the 500 Jeffrey.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yup, I use a 130 gr rn gas checked bullet in my 30-06 with a load of 14.0 grqains of Unique. A little heavy for small game, but it works. I think it chronied at 1980 fps. Takes the head clean off a rabbit when shot in the neck. Good for grouse out to about 20-25 yards. (head shots only, please.) This load shoots to where the cross hairs are at 20 yards from my '06 using the same sight-in as for the 180 grain moose manglers. I usually carry a couple for rabbits and grouse pot stew fillers.

I read an article by an old gunwriter once that said he used the right sized buckshot (maybe 00) lubed with vaseline and propelled by 2 grains of bullseye in a 30-06. He used a few strands of kapok to hold the poweder back against the powder. I never tried that one.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd like to give both those loads a try. Would save the trouble of carrying a pistol. Where did you get the gas checked 130's? Which primer did you use?

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Does anyone load their big boomers for small game with lighter weight bullets or cast bullets? I use casl loads in my .30-30, .308, and .30-06 plus some 78 grn 7mm pistol bullets in my 7x57.

DN

Your 30-30, 308 and 30-06 are perfect canadates for the king of small game close range loads. Get yourself a good decapping tool that doesn't resize. Decap a few brass and trim a few cases make to the minimum or ever a slight bit shorter and mark these cases. Next get a half pound can of 700X and a box of Hornady .315 dia round balls.

Prime the case with LR Mag primers as to increase the flame. work up charges starting at 2grs for the 30-30 case and 3grs for the 308 and 06 cases. If you go below this mark you might have to unstuck a ball which would be bad in the mountains. Use no filler whatso ever as it is unessesary and dangerous for starting fires. I have pointed my 308 straight down and the gun went off even with all the powder up near the ball.

Next using your thumb, press a round ball into the case as far as you can. It will not go in very far. You can help secure it with a slight LEE factory crimp. Try crimping it too much and the ball might be squeezed back out of the case. It takes some expermenting.

Shoot for groups at 25 yards (typical small game range while hunting) Mine hit about 2" low so I just remember this.

They will shoot through the shoulders of any rabbit or feral cat. They are about as quiet as a 22 short or no more noisy than a 22 lr depending on the charge.

I shoot 2.5gr in my 30-30, 3grs in the 300 Savage and 308 and 4grs in the 30-06.

If you can't find .315dia round balls, plain old '0' buck (about .318 in dia) will work too and bumps up into the lands just fine.

CM

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the load info. I'll give the round ball a try.

DN

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here is some information that I copied from a Beartooth Bullets website awhile back. I cannot vouch for any of the information, as I have not tried it yet. The article is found in the "Tech Notes" section, entitled "Selecting that First Rifle" by Marshall Stanton. It's a pleasant read.

"Lead bullets are the answer here!
In familiarizing my daughters with their introduction to the .30-06 I gave them loads using 00 Buckshot loaded over 4.0 grains of Red Dot with a tuft of polyester fiber filler over the powder to hold it against the primer. These loads have zero recoil, shoot pretty much to point of aim out to fifty yards, and have a report about like a .22LR. They are also very economical, and easy to load. Simply use an "M" type neck expanding die as you would on cast bullet loads for bottleneck cases, and seat the buckshot in the case (which is now flared) until the widest point of the buckshot is contained in the neck of the case. Buckshot is inexpensive, usually around five dollars for five pounds, or Lee Precision sells a .311 two cavity round ball mold for around seventeen dollars. When loading the 4.0 grains of Red Dot, you get 1750 rounds of ammo for every pound of powder. That roughly equates to a penny per round for powder, a penny and a half for primer and two cents for the buckshot, making a grand total of under a nickel per shot for plinking ammo! These loads are surprisingly accurate, and make first class grouse and rabbit medicine when walking about the woods. The new shooter can shoot VOLUMES of these loads and never wear the barrel or cause the slightest hint of throat erosion.
The next cartridge adaptation that comes to mind is any of the bullets of 100-120 grains that are designed for the .32-20 or .32 H&R. These are relatively inexpensive, and make great light loads for shooting in the .30-06 at 75-100 yard ranges. The recoil is mild to non-existent and again there is no barrel wear from these loads in any way! They too are very inexpensive, and if loaded with very light charges of fast burning pistol powders are easy on the pocketbook in all aspects, but offering more versatility than the buckshot loads over wider ranges of effectiveness. These little inexpensive bullets moving along at 1100-1250 fps roughly duplicate the .32-20's performance, and are appropriate for anything one would use the .32-20. These are delightfully fun loads to shoot, and encourage the new shooter to burn more ammo in his "first rifle".
Now, for more practice, comes a wide variety of cast bullets ranging from 115 grains to nearly 200 grains, in flat point, spitzer or round nose configurations, mostly with gas checks to allow higher velocities without leading, and at the same time enhancing accuracy. It is with these, that you can get that shooter used to his new rifle, and introduce an ever slightly increasing recoil level and noise level as well. Volumes of these loads may be fired without undue wear on the barrel, and with each shot, instilling confidence and pleasure from using the new "first rifle".

With loads like the ones outlined above, that "first rifle" can be taken afield to shoot ground hogs, fox squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, or just about anything you would use a .22 rimfire for, through anything a .30-30 would be appropriate to use. All the time the rifle is afield after smaller game using these reduced type loads, that confidence level is growing, and user familiarity being achieved by leaps and bounds.
Now, you ask about loading data for these loads? It is literally everywhere! Every cast bullet manual printed has volumes of reduced velocity loads for the .30-06, as well as online resources such as www.LoadSwap.com . Lyman has an excellent cast bullet manual that costs less than a box of factory loaded .30-06 ammo, as well as an out of print book from RCBS and the new Accurate Reloading manual has a number of reduced velocity cast bullet loads."

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Used to shoot grey squirrels with a Remington 722 .222 when
I lived in PA. I understand that it is now illegal to hunt small
game with a centerfire rifle in PA now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dakota Deer, You went all out on that post...I for one really appreciate the effort. Thanks, Mike.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I got to reading so many of these interesting posts with good info, that I knew I'd never remember any of it when needed. So I started a folder called "My Hobbie Posts" to start cutting/copying interesting articles into. I just happened to have that article sitting there so it was not much of a problem to just cut and paste it over here. I'm glad it helped.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,235
Posts18,504,442
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.