Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just hunt bigger critters laugh

Just kidding, I'm just back from a Namibian road trip (Mostly Sossusvlei and the Namib desert, Swakopmund, the skeleton coast and Etosha) and hunting trip (6 days hunting in the black nossop conservacy area, Gobabis district, 140 miles N-E of Windhoek).

It was a late honey moon, and outstanding adventure with my wife for our fifth wedding birthday, then my best hunting experience ever and a 8 years long dream made true.

My order was only wild animals, from local species in totally open territory and that's what I had on a 50000 ha hunting ground covering serveal big cattle farms in the area, only local and wild species, and free game without high fences.

Mostly bushveld, camelthorn trees, stalking and tracking a lot.

Unfortunately, I lost one red hartebeest, my mistake, but everything else was perfect, the food, the mood, the hunt, the conversations, the trackers, the drinks, the other shots ... An outstanding and unforgettable experience in the life of a hunter.

Here are the results:

10 years old blue wildebeest bull

[Linked Image]

8 years old warthog

[Linked Image]

12 years old burchell's zebra stallion

[Linked Image]

7 years old red hartebeest

[Linked Image]

8 years old gemsbok bull

[Linked Image]

Outstanding and enormous 12 years old greater kudu

[Linked Image]

14 years old red hartebeest

[img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9805/img1369y.jpg[/img]

I'll post the pictures of the recovered TSX's later ...

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very nice pics. Congratulations!

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent, excellent stuff GV!!

been wondering where you were...

Congrats!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks maddog and ingwe

Here are the Tsx's, caliber .375, 270 grains, from a winchester 70's 24 inches barrel.

From left to right:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1. 551 pounds gemsbok, 164 yards shot, broad side, hitting right elbow, low chest, left elbow. Remains: 184 grains.

2. Same oryx, coup de grace, 87 yards, 2/3 face lungs shot. Remains: 211.5 grains

3. Greater Kudu, about 992 lbs crazy, 3/4 facing 109 yards shot, stone dead in its tracks. Remains: 229 grains.

4. Blue Wildebeest, about 600 lbs, 109 yards shot, 3/4 facing, stone dead in its tracks; remains: 249.7 grains.

5. Burchell'zebra, 705 lbs, boradside, 165 yards, heart shot, ran 330 yards away before it admitted it was dead crazy ; remains: 270 grains.

6. red hartebeest, 330 lbs, 175 yards 3/3 facing shiot, dropped stone dead in its tracks; remains: 270 grains.

Bullet went through the other hartebeest (broadside heart shot 131 yards) and the warthog (broadside heart shot 77 yards, but the bullet went out higher than the entry - it was a up to down shot - and went out in the middle of the body crazy the hog running 90 yards before it felt).

Last edited by grand_veneur; 07/28/10.

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The gemsbok shaved some weight off that particular TSX!

Great stuff, GV.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How did you come by these weights?

Did you actually weigh a kudu that was 992 lbs?

A Burchells Zebra that was 705 lbs?

These would be so far beyond normal that they would set a Guiness record, especially the Kudu. The biggest Kudu we have ever measured was a hair over 650lbs. We have killed many giant bulls in the last two decades too. The biggest Zebra I've ever personally seen was a 600plus Zebra and she was killed with twin colts inside that were each about 60lbs.

Just curious how these weights were determined. The Kudu is way more then double the average I've experienced. We weigh a lot of game at the lodge because the hunters all make these claims/guesses of weights so we can easily hang a scale between the gambrel and the chain hoist. We have a 1/2 ton scale at the lodge to use. So I'm fairly comfortable that these weights are darn good, since the people buying the meat from us use this weight without argument.

The only PG that have ever pegged the scale are Eland and Roan antelope. Roan are the second largest species of Antelope, and they get to the 1000lb mark on rare occasions

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That weight of the kudu amazed me too, Weights from the trackers and skinners, but the Kudu was actually huge, far far more than the gembsok when hanging after skinning. Last Eland reported there, killed by a friend was reported 1873 lbs and the kudus in the area are reported bigger than the ones from Etosha. Sorry I only brought back the bullets for my RCBS scale but I don't mind the actual weight.

My black tracker was quite a joker, who knows ? The owner told me the carcasses (skin, insides and head off) were usually from 200 to 220 kilos, weighted for selling.

Or was I lost in translation there between kilos and lbs ? crazy

Last edited by grand_veneur; 07/28/10.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by grand_veneur

My black tracker was quite a joker, who knows ? The owner told me the carcasses (skin, insides and head off) were usually from 200 to 220 kilos, weighted for selling.

Or was I lost in translation there between kilos and lbs ? crazy

I was kinda wondering about some of those weights myself....

A "hanging weight" (skin etc off...) of 200 Kilos would be about 440 lbs....add a third for missing parts and you are at about 600 lbs...just about right...
Your tracker might have been pulling your leg a bit..

And the "lost in translation" part I can identify with...I once caught a fish that was a kilo....dont know if it weighed a kilogram or was a kilometer long...but I'm going with the latter!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You see him on the first Picture ... Zamuel ... We had a lot of fun everdy, both of us alone in the bushveld.

Va t'in tch�re !
H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Omitting the weight claims, those are still some very, very nice trophies. Congrats on a good hunt.

Thank you for taking the time to post the bullet info. Although we all get lots of opportuity to shoot paper, it is rare to see how bullets perform on game. As someone who is in the process of testing TSX's performance in some of my hunting loads, I've been unable to get samples (ie. pass throughs).

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
GV,

What did the kudu measure in inches? He's a lovely looking head...........and I don't care what he weighed smirk

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, not yet, I will have the measurements via e-mail soon. All I know is that it's a 12 years old.

The strange thing about the weight case, if Zamuel joked me or if confused Lbs et Kgs, is that I saw every game hanging after cleaning, skinning and beheading. The hartebeests were much bigger than the warthog (this is believable grin ), the oryx was far bigger than the hartebeest, the wildebeest was bigger than the oryx, the zebra was bigger than the wildebeest and the kudu was far bigger than anyone of the others.

Anyway, it is my first and maybe last kudu and I will cherish its trophy a lot. I was shaking so much waiting for it to move the head away, after the stalk, I thought I would have never been able to kill it properly. Heart pumping too hard, uncontrolled brathing, and the "dancing reticle show". Hours later my arms were still shaking.

Va t'in tch�re !
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM
GV,

What did the kudu measure in inches? He's a lovely looking head...........and I don't care what he weighed smirk

how can you not care what it weighed? confused that is simply the best venison!! grin

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just because you can't bring the whole meat with you back in the airplane grin ... or just one or two kilos in bitlong whistle

Va t'in tch�re !
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
aah!! biltong, busy on some while typing

Last edited by LT_DAN; 07/30/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me too laugh

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
I was shaking so much waiting for it to move the head away, after the stalk, I thought I would have never been able to kill it properly. Heart pumping too hard, uncontrolled brathing, and the "dancing reticle show". Hours later my arms were still shaking.

Perfect! laugh

When my wife killed her first Kudu she was visibly moved, and on the verge of tears..I told her simply that if you can kill an animal like that and not feel great emotion, then you do not belong to be there, and do not deserve it...

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my kudu came into view about two seconds beefore he saw us and turned to run. I shot him in the turning motion hitting the heart. It was my best shot in Africa. I believe it was because I had no real time to contemplate the shot. Afterwards I felt a quiet revery for the beast, and a joy that he fell in the turning and never moved. Our respect of the game is demonstrated in various ways, but as Ingwe says, they are deserving of our best effort, respect and admiration.

As Lt Dan says, it is the best venison, and the sole regret I have, is that I could not bring meat home. The good thing is that not a bit of the meat will be wasted

You did a great job GV, thanks for the photos, and please regale us with the anectdotal reports.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi guys, and thanks from your comments.

I've just received news from my Namibian host sending me my trophies SCI scores.

I don't realize if or how much it means something, centimeters are not so important, but I wanted tohave information about the SCI scoring.

It seems it's not so bad from the hunting area and my tracker's selection.

I particularly appreciate the Zebra scoring laugh But I'm Belgian, this could explain that.

(...)

I just did the trophy measurements and don't want to keep you waiting.

19.7 Hartebeest................165 SCI-points = Goldmedal
19.7 Oryx.............................227 SCI-points = Goldmedal
20.7 Kudu...........................307 SCI-points = Silvermedal
22.7 Blue Wildebeest.......192 SCI-points = Goldmedal
23.7 Warthog.......................35 SCI-points = Bronzemedal
23.7 Burchell Zebra............Chocolatemedal (for Zebra there is not medal)
24.7 Hartebeest................173 SCI-points = Goldmedal

Your Kudu is extra special, he would have made also a goldmedal but the curls in both horns are very different. He looks symmetrical but there is a 12 cm difference between the two horns. You can see it if you look into the spiral from the top.

(...)

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I could see the difference in the horns.....one reason I was interested in the measurements, GV.

Going back to Africa again? wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1_deuce, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 160user, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,803
Posts18,516,321
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.