Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a very good quality COLD weather shell for November hunting in the mountains and in various types of terrain in Alberta.

My wife gets very cold so warmth is paramount. We will be doing about 1-2 hours of hiking per day and the rest will be spent sitting and glassing in cold temps raning from -25 to -35 celsius. Winds can and most likely will be strong.

Trying to think about the best option, and willing to look at all brands. I can get a very good deal on Sitka but I'm willing to look at any brand out there.

Anyone use the Stratus or the Coldfront jacket with layers? Either of them up to the task of a shell for this type of weather? Possible other options including shells, parkas, etc most appreciated!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just a cold weather pretender, living here in Georgia, but as far as sizing, I just got a Sitka Kelvin Jacket and had to send the large back for an XL, and I wear a 44 Jacket and am 170lb 6ft.
Don

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by docdb
I'm just a cold weather pretender, living here in Georgia, but as far as sizing, I just got a Sitka Kelvin Jacket and had to send the large back for an XL, and I wear a 44 Jacket and am 170lb 6ft.
Don

Thank you! Close enough to my size so that I know I should go with an XL. How about Integral Designs (I've seen a pic of you wearing what looks like an ID Rain/Thru Hiker)? What model and size is that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's an XL Thru Hiker

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I would go with the Coldfront over the Stratus. The stratus (along with the rest of the new forest items) has a brushed finish, which is nice and quiet for the treestand, but it will not shed water like the Coldfront soft shell and the exterior fabric of the Stratus will take longer to dry if it gets saturated. Also the the stratus is not waterproof, only windproof! The Coldfront is not insulated, only lighlty lined, so layer a good vest or fleece under it and you should be good to go.

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The browning quest gear is top notch. Every bit as good as the sitka gear in my opinion. Definitely check it out on their website. An XL shell would be perfect. If you're going for pants as well, make sure to try them on to see which size fits you best....I went through a couple pair before ending up with XXL (waist is huge but the rest fits well). I have an XL jacket (I usually where a 44L)....I think the Browning Quest gear is a bit cheaper than sitka as well for comprable models. I like the sitka gear too, and have some, but recommend at least checking out Browning.

Just make sure you layer accordingly no matter which way you go.

Last edited by AHM; 07/31/10.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have the coldfront pant and jacket, and the post above is true. They will keep you dry, but you need to layer pretty good under them for cold weather.

if you layer correctly you should be fine.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TTT.....

Kinda have it down to the Coldfront or Stormfront. Seems they are similar but one is a soft-shell (Coldfront) and the Stormfront is more of a 'hard shell' rain jacket?

As a do-everything type outer jacket, what do you prefer and why?

I am looking at a pretty good discount on this stuff, but would be willing to look at other brands if you guys dont think the money is worth spending on a jacket like these....

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I just went through the same process.

If you want a high tech, SOTA, waterproof camo outer shell you only have two options available. One is the Sitka goretex and the other is Wild Things Tactical event. If you don't care about camo, you have many choices.

If you go with Sitka, the Stromfront is the most logical choice, as you will have to layer under both in cold weather. However, the Stormfront will allow use in warmer weather since it is not lined with an insulating layer. The Stormfront is lighter and more compressible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new Cabelas Alaskan series of rainshells looks pretty interesting as well. I wouldn't want any insulation in a "do everything" jacket. I'd go uninsulated and layer accordingly

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I believe the best options is to pick a shell that protects you from wind and rain then use layers underneath for warmth.

I would go with a durable hard shell like the stormfront or maybe something from arcteryx then choose a down/synthetic liner coat or vest for warmth. I have a marmot guides down vest and boy o boy that puppy is warm underneath a good shell.

This way the shell can be multi purpose and function very well in an assortment of weather conditions. Remove layers underneath when hiking or in warmer weather and layer up when really cold and sitting still. Just get the sizing correct so you can layer accordingly.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ya I guess my only concern with the Stormfront over the Coldfront is the feeling of wearing a 'rain' jacket all the time.

I like the idea of the softshell of the Coldfront to get away from the feeling of that 'rain jacket' type feeling, although both are hard to choose between for a few reasons.

I dont know if I'll buy camo or just forest/granite in either....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's sad that Sitka doesn't carry the mountain mimicry pattern anymore, that is probably the best pattern for mountain huting in Alaska.

If anyone here know's of someone selling a Celsius jacket size large at a decent price i'd be interested to know about it. Sorry for the hijack.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I dont know if I'll buy camo or just forest/granite in either...."

If that's the case (camo not a priority) you should look at one of the Integral Designs jackets made with eVent in the "garbage bag green" color.

Ak, I wish Sitka would make the Stormfront or Stormfront Lite with the new Optifade Forest pattern. Seems like they introduce a new model with a new pattern. Why can't they offer the same model with different patterns?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These two sitka jackets are more similar than you think. One has a fleece lining, the other not. (stormfront vs coldfront)

I've worn the 90% and Celsius for several seasons now. I pack a HH suit if I really think I am going to get soaked.

For her I would get icebreaker under a kelvin jacket under the cold front. I use a similar set up for duck hunting in the pouring rain.

I'd use the one without the lining because I would want to use the jacket early season.

The pit zips and lack of noise make these jackets shine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also noticed that Sitka is offering their gear in plain colors as well, like black, burnt orange, woodsmoke and charcoal. I would pick 1 of the 3 (not burnt orange) for hunting here in Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by petr
These two sitka jackets are more similar than you think. One has a fleece lining, the other not. (stormfront vs coldfront)

I think the Coldfront is more of a softshell and from the sounds of it the Stormfront is less of a softshell and closer to a hardshell jacket?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have any pics of the charcoal colors in the field? I've seen them on the site but never seen one in the field before or in pics...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 59 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,973
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.