Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brinky72
It's funny how much more a recurve or long bow demand from the shooter. I was just shooting my recurve yesterday and I was getting groups a little bigger than a grapefruit at 30 paces. I then grabbed my Matthews and took a knock off one of my arrows. cry I felt like I was cheating so I went back to the recurve. wink

brinky72,

If you were really shooting groups the size of a grapefruit at 30 paces, then you are a dang fine shot. Many guys can't hit the bag at 30 paces, let alone the spots.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I definitely haven't practiced enough to shoot a grapefruit at 30 yards but I have been shooting a Martin Hatfield Takedown for 5 years or so now. Wouldn't bow hunt any other way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sainte,

Great photo, shot & sentiment! Longbow here as well.

Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
I don't shoot recurves (they feel funny to me), but I LOVE to hunt with a longbow. It is extremely rewarding and shooting instinctively is absolutely thrilling.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hunting both elk and deer this year with a recurve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Sainte,

Great photo, shot & sentiment! Longbow here as well.

Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
I don't shoot recurves (they feel funny to me), but I LOVE to hunt with a longbow. It is extremely rewarding and shooting instinctively is absolutely thrilling.

[Linked Image]

Thank you Yellow! Hunting those bushytails with a longbow and a few flu-flus is a lot of fun in itself. Someone on here posted a picture of a passel of squirrels they shot with a .32 cal muzzleloader and now I am thinking that might be just as fun as the longbow.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Recurve and longbow shooter here since 1992. Beside hunting with them, my favorite thing to do is roaming through the woods stump shooting with judo points. It's good fun and great practice for judging distance while shooting instinctively.
Beats the heck out of shooting at a bag. grin

S
S
Count me in! Shrew lil favorite, 50#@27" and Leon Stewart, 52#@28". Assorted longbows as well. Life is great with just one string!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got rid of the wheels in 03 and haven't looked back. I enjoy it much more than the compound. Have a Silvertip recurve and Wolverine longbow with another 'tip on order. Have a Hummingbird Kingfisher TD recurve for sale if anyone is interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a #45 Hoyt pro hunter recurve from another Campfire member. It looks like it just came off the sales floor, and he previous owner got it used over 15 years ago! I've only shot a few arrows through it the other day when it came in the mail, but I love it already. I won't try to take a deer (or anything else with it) until I get some more shooting time, but I can already tell it's gonna be fun. I'll still be a "wheel and cam" guy though, I trust the accuracy more... for now.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I switch back from between a longbow & and recurve. My recurve is an old piece of Osage that I bent the tips a bit to increase the poundage.

[Linked Image]

rudyc

It's a good day for something.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A Black Widow, and early 60's Grizzly that I killed my first big game animal with in 1970(a lonely yearling doe), and a flat bow made by my buddy.

I've never owned a compound, mechanical rest, carbon arrows, or replacable razor broadheads.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Trad nut here. Shoot both longbow and recurve. This one is an original LH Silvertip made by Paul in the early 80s and my second flint point deer. She's my go-to bow. Not as pretty as some, but tons of mojo. Shooting an Acadian woods this year again though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bbassi; 08/21/10.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Occasional trad hunter here. Primary weapon is the Martin Super Diablo recurve and secondary is a take-down reflex-deflex Treadway longbow.

On a side note the biggest deer I ever missed was with that Martin. Big dark antlered 10 in the 150s. I was so jazzed just to get a shot I never regretted taking the stick instead of the Bowtech.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunted with a 45 lb. WING recurve bow from 1972 - 88. Many deer were taken cleanly with this outfit. Then in 1989, I splurged and paid Owen Jeffreys to craft a take down 55 lb. bow for me. It shot splendidly and looked great, too.

But an accident in 1997 left me with an unhealed elbow fracture and my recurve shooting days were done. I started shooting a second hand HuntMaster Advantage crossbow in 2008. This company changed their name to Ten Point. Parts are interchangeable.

My modern crossbow has made it possible for me to hunt archery season and to access archery-only management units. Crossbow hunting is still a close range kill experience regardless of scope sights. I'm thankful for the fresh popularity crossbows and accessories.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Shoot both recurve and longbow, but favor recurves. Hunting bows are from 55 to 65 lbs. But tend to favor the lighter bows lately, as I haven't been out west in some time now. Due for a trip out with a bow as my primary weapon, rather than the rifle.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
One more recurve hunter here since 1975 with a 5 yr break to wheels. Been building bows for 18 years , did it full time from 96-99. Will continue till I can't anymore

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Long time compound shooter. This will be my first year hunting with a recurve. I am really enjoying shooting it more than my compound. And like a previous poster said, when I do pick up my compound now it does feel like cheating. LOL!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Another one here. I hunt with a 45# Martin Rebel from treestand or ground blind and either a 48# Seven Lakes Longbow or a 60# Jerry Hill longbow for still hunting.
I bowfish with an old 55# Bear take-down recurve and a 55# PSE pre-Coyote take-down recurve.
I started bowhunting with a Ben Pearson "Jet" in the mid-late 60's. Training wheels were tried back in the early-mid 80's and just felt "wrong".

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting a Bear Super Kodiak now after years of shooting Grizzly's. Seems to be alot more consistent with the Kodiak. Don't know if it's because it's a little longer and forgiving or that it's just a better bow. Also shoot compounds, but have a lot more fun and get more satisfaction out of the recurve.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I hunted with a 45 lb. WING recurve bow from 1972 - 88....But an accident in 1997 left me with an unhealed elbow fracture and my recurve shooting days were done. I started shooting a second hand HuntMaster Advantage crossbow in 2008.

Good on ya', Sherwood. I'm really glad you can hunt the archery season with your crossbow. Best of luck to you in all your future hunting.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.