-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone. I am a new member but a long time lurker on the Savage collectors forum. The information here is first class and the people seem to be the same. I became a 99 fan late in life after finally learning what good machined metal and wood looks like. I read this forum and searched the online sites and gun shops for my own 99 to use for deer and bear in the mountains of Virginia. I wanted an original open sighted rifle in .300 savage to use as my still hunting, bad weather gun. I found a beautiful 99 EG at shop here in Va with the brass cartridge counter, 5843xx serial number and about 90% condition with a great bore. It's not drilled and tapped, which I didn't want anyway but it doesn't have sling swivel studs either which I wanted and need because of the terrain I hunt. My dilemma is what to do for a sling. I don't mind installing studs in the stock and forend or using a barrel band but from what I read on here doing that could hurt the value. I need some input or maybe some ideas I haven't already thought of. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabelas and others offer leather slings which do not require studs or swivels.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I haven't got one but I'm impressed with the all leather units I've seen that have a leather choke around the barrel just in front of the fore stock and a pocket that slips over the butt. If my gun didn't already have swivels, I'd be looking that way, especially to keep from drilling holes in a classic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one like Greg S mentioned and it works well for me. I would try and leave gun as original as possible and welcome to the forum. The guys here a great and have alot of useful info that are more gracious enough to share. Some of it is even very entertaining. wink

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not seeing a dilemma..

Buy another gun that has sling studs. What more excuse do you need? grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like previously mentioned there are slings made for muzzleloading rifles that will work. Cabelas and Midway both have them. Of course Calhoun has the best solution. Welcome to another addiction. From a new addict.

Shortgrub

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Rory too.

The way I have always dealt with that dilemma is to buy a gun that somebody else has already drilled.

I couldn't live with the guilt if I put the holes in the gun, but don't have a problem with buying one where somebody else has already made the decision for me.

Welcome aboard.

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Allegheny 99, there is a poster on this forum who also sells on Gunbroker. He lives here in Bristol, Va. area which is in far SW Va. He has invented and is patenting a leather sling that requires no hardware. It works beautifully, locks on tightly but removes easily. It costs about $30 and although he doesn't advertise or market it yet (until patent comes through) he has them and sells them. PM me if interested and I'll put you in contact. Pictures:[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.levergunleather.com/p_rifle_slings.htm

Similar stuff here. You will need to scroll down a bit.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used leather slings that barrel slips thru and tie onto butt stock for 30 years on heavey muzzleloaders with no problems. Just check to make sure attached securely every now and then. And practice shooting with the sling on!

Bruce
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You'll also find a guy,Lightfoot, on this site who makes a front swivel that goes in or replaces the forestock screw--I'm sure he'll chime in shortly for you.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Plus one on the johnsavage recommendation. I ordered a sling from the guy he refers to and I love it. It is much better made and more practical than the big store versions.

It works well on my 99's as well as on my Springfield 1873 trapdoor carbines and is interchangeable and adjustable for any gun without swivels.

M
M
If you hunt with a day pack you coud get a universal gunbearer from Kifaru. It attaches to the waist belt and the pack strap. You put the stock in the part attached to the belt and put the barrel in the part attached to the shoulderstrap. it rides to your right or left side which ever you are. Instant access when you need it and hands free operations to use your binoculars without your rifle sliding off your shoulder with a traditional sling. This is the best thing ever invented. This way you don't have to drill anything and retain the cvalue of your rifle!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.