Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
My buddy is looking for a rifle for his boy to start hunting deer with. I offered up my 700 CDL 7-08 as a loaner if he didn't buy one by deer season. He said that's about the type of rifle he was looking at, maybe a .243. It's about three years old, maybe 80 rounds through it tops. I have a 3x9 Bushnell 3200 ELite fire fly with Leopold rings on it. Overall near perfect condition with one small blemish on the stock that could easily be rubbed out. I have a feeling he may make an offer on it so what would be a fair price if he does? I don't want to give it away but for a good kid starting out I'm not looking to make a bunch of money either.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a gun that is mostly clean sans a smudge on the stock, I think $550 is fair. I'd probably go $500 for a friend and toss the scope/mounts/rings in for another $150.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If it was a friend I'd throw the scope in for free ....if it was a real good friend I'd throw the scope in the garbage

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks. That's where I was guessing in the 500 neighborhood. The scope will just get him through the first season. He's 12 and will learn the difference between a good scope and an average scope. Funny though

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Why would anyone hand a kid junk?

Never will understand that.............

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why is a 700 cdl junk?

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It's not.............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My M700 CDL in 7-08 with a Leupold Vari X-III 2.5-8 is my prime antelope rifle. Load it up with 120 grain BTs or TSXs with Big Game and it shoots better than a 270 with less recoil.

I believe a real world price for the whole outfit is around $700. For a friend's kid, I think real world doesn't apply. $600 for the outfit would be starting generous.

I sold a Rem 700 ADL 30-06 with glass bedded, trimmed, decelerator recoil pad, takeoff wood stock and original tupperware to a Marine hunting partner still in school for $350 with rings and bases.

Selling to a friend, especially for a kid has entirely different price points for me.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Tell me about 120's,I've long been curious?

How well do they work...seems too light to me?

Thanks!...............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My only comment: Is that I don't recommend a variable scope for a youngster as their 1st scope. Likely he'll be fidgeting with the scope adjustments when he should be shooting. I believe a straight 4x to be a far better choice. Then he won't be tempted to shoot further than his skill level. Better to learn the basics brfore one tries to stretch his confidence. YMMV smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I slam 6X's on everything for the kids,which does them far more favors than a 4X..............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've a novel idea, put the scope on 3X and tell him to leave it alone. Or tape it where you want it.

Aim for the exit hole.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I love my kids more than that,for numerous reasons...........

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't fret the power as much as the quality of that Bushnell

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
And eye-relief...then there's undoubtedly the junk rings/bases,the particulars of which have yet to be made mention............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
Tell me about 120's,I've long been curious?

How well do they work...seems too light to me?

Thanks!...............

Baiter grin

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Master............

R
R
Grasshopper, you are wise. I feel the same way about youngsters and varible scopes. I thin a fixed four power is best as it keeps them from shooting moving game too readily and also keeps them looking through their binoculers instead of their riflescope. Doug
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
My only comment: Is that I don't recommend a variable scope for a youngster as their 1st scope. Likely he'll be fidgeting with the scope adjustments when he should be shooting. I believe a straight 4x to be a far better choice. Then he won't be tempted to shoot further than his skill level. Better to learn the basics brfore one tries to stretch his confidence. YMMV smile

Remember: Have your Democrats spayed or neutered.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Remfarmer
Grasshopper, you are wise. I feel the same way about youngsters and varible scopes. I think a fixed four power is best as it keeps them from shooting moving game too readily and also keeps them looking through their binoculers instead of their riflescope. Doug

Doug,

I think it is better to teach a youngster to be a HUNTER rather than a sniper. If he learns the proper basics first, he will never have to rely on gimmicks to take his share of game. smile

IIRC, Our very own Mule Deer (John Barsness) reported that he had taken his longest shot on deer with a 2.5X scope. I also remember reading about a professional guide who told his client to shoot, and when he didn't, he looked up to see him fiddling with the adjustments on his scope. And he lost a trophy because of it...

Problem with variable scopes, is all too often someone turns up the power so he can see better, and forgets it. Then when he needs to use it a closer range, he can't find the objective in the scope.... There is a reason experienced hunters still use fixed power scopes.

I have a farmer buddy who always sits with his back to the woods over looking a field. He likes to have a good view... Trouble is, he always has to shoot running deer. He laughs at me for sitting in the woods... Perhaps I don't see as many deer, but I rarely, if ever, shoot past 100 yds. And NEVER at a running deer. Mostly the deer I see, have no idea anyone is even around. smile (BTW, I get more deer than he does... blush )

BTW: Your comment on the use of binoculars is SPOT ON!

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on if its a good friend with a good kid, if it were one of my pards and he was in need i'd make him buy me lunch and give it to the kid...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.