Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It took me 3 1/2 yrs. but finally back with a new pup. The first one is the day I brought him home at 8 weeks. 2nd about 9 weeks, 3 months (12 weeks)in the others.

Last edited by Siggy32; 08/06/10. Reason: added photo, better description

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully you'll get him into some pheasants and he stays out of the mischief, but I'm guessing you'll get both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good looking pup....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is going on 9mo and no sign of a whisker anywhere. frown

Good looking pup.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, Raider had a beard to start & it is really starting to show up. I told the breeder I wanted the one that when he gets a drink of water you have to ge get the mop. I think I got him as he sure leaves a trail of water after drinking.

He is way different then my first one. Sig was never the lover this one is, he likes to be up against you or on your lap if at home when he is not getting into mischief. Wifes flowers a favorite target. Seems brave enough in the open field though.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He looks like a dandy! Please keep us up to speed on him.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Been enamored by the breed for some time. Nice to see a pic pop up. Was a thread bout them for AK use a while back also.

Very cool. Interested in the progress as well.

There is a breeder fairly close to where I am at and I've wanted to get over there to watch his dogs work.

I'd really like to have one, but I am really not much of bird hunter. Have LOTS of grouse here though, so I may have to change that....

Nice doggie. Leggy SOB huh???

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, he sure has a long legs, my other one did not have legs like this one, so hope maybe he will grow into them. But he can run fast. I know they use them on grouse. You should ask the breeder about the VJP (spring test) & HZP (Fall Test)done in your area so you could go watch them.

He is 4 & 1/2 months & has been watching the dink birds on walks for about 2 weeks, slows down & starts creeping on Robins in the yard. Still on lead so he doesn't get to chase them. Really starting to use nose on ground tracking them.

Has been so damn hot here, he really likes water, in & out of his water tub all day long. Digs in water, puts head under the water like he is smelling the bottom must be rubbing nose or something. Beard is growing in nicely.

Will keep you up to date, still pup so just learning house manners mostly, sits at point of finger, learning stay,down, leave it, drop it, now. Has been retrieveing for a month. Have high hopes for him. Up to me to bring it all out.

Sig

- Benjamin Franklin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very cool again.

They had a hunt right here in the town I live in last fall. Lee Root is the breeder close to me. He seems very cordial and has offered the invite at least 2 times.

Watched a few YouTubes on them also. Kinda a rare-ish breed and the people seem pretty specific to them...like the Chessie, which I had two of already.

Guess I am enamored by them for all the are touted to be able to do, while still having a little bit of "scrap" to them. Heard they need socialized from a young age, as they can be guardy, or the "one man dog" thing. I understand it's all realitive, as you can make any dog what your want or screw them up just as easy.

I also know it's strictly against the law to use wounded deer dogs here, but that intrigues me more than anything. This area of NE Washington about the best "Up and Coming" white tail area in the US. Kinda a No-Brainer to use a dog to recover a trophy. Don't think I could get pinched for "walking my dog through the forest on a 20ft lead"

Anyhow, neat doggie. Anymore pics would whet my appetite further. Lee sent me some pics of some black ones, which are kinda rare? My wife seems to think they are sooo much better looking than the brownies. And I too would need to have the mop-able beard. It just fits the dog.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Guess he may be super dark chocolate and not black???

IC B3

Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, he looks black on spots but is actually brown, ears are brown & nose is brown, the black ones will have a black nose as I am told.

The blood tracking is pretty cool. They are used for that in varuos places. This pups dad is used for that also. You have to get to be known by your local game warden of what you are doing & that he will be on "lead" for "wounded" deer recovery from what the guys tell me. I know my local game wardens kind of hint that way when I asked, there is one here that would arrest his mother, when he was in the field but has been promoted so not in the field as much.

My first one was always by my side when home. Leave the room would get up & follow me. Never saw him "man sharp" would look at little furry dogs with an eye you just didn't let him have the chance. Killed a couple of skunks, retreved 1 to me, that was fun. However, he was smart enough not to take on porcupines as he found 2 of them over his life.

- Benjamin Franklin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Got your link, and I will dive into it whole heartedly. Kind of a renewed passion.

I think all wardens are that way. They are just born for the job. I work with some of them at times, and even as a fellow Law Enforcement guy, I am sure they would hook me up at the drop of a hat. Such a shame, if it came to that, to recover a deer for an archery hunter(I don't even archery hunt) rather than feed the coyotes. I would get into it simply to use the dog and practice training.

In thinking about it, there is decent waterfowling here from what 'm told. Haven't been through a full season's change here yet. Quail in the valleys here where I am at, and again, tons of grouse up in the hills. So there would be stuff to do. And I think the whole PNW has Draht people around. I know ID is full, so there would be like-minded people and trials to put a dog to use as well as learn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Siggy....really like the pup a lot. I came very close to getting a Drahthaar 3 years ago.

We ended up getting a Wirehaired Griffon, which of course is one of the 4 founding breeds in Deutsch Drahthaar. She is fabulous and yes you have to mop up after she hits the water bowl too. She has most of the characteristics of the Drahthaar, including, but not limited to, chase/kill skunks, porcupines, cats, rabbits, raccoons, you name it.......

I've used our Griff to track bow shot deer when there wasn't a lot of blood spilled. She found him in 3-4 min.

Our Griff is pretty headstrong, but a Drahthaar just won't back down from anything.

Get your skunk kit ready.

Last edited by HuntKY; 08/13/10.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

[Linked Image]
They are great dogs... I don't think you could make Hank bite a person but he is hell on cats, racoons, skunks, and birds. You mentioned Idaho. I would check out Paul Trout's dogs. His web site is vom orion dd or something similar. If you search vom orion his web site should come up.

Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dogwater, nice looking dog.

Now Sigfried did bite a guy 1 time after he kicked him, was in a dog fight with a Britany (which I told the guy not to let the dog out) the guy kicked my dog & he turned grabbed him just above the boot & pulled him completely off his feet, then went back to the Britany, by then I had gotten there & grabbed collars to separate them. He & his Britany went back to the trucks.

He would hunt with most any dog, but if the dog braced up to him to prove he thought he was tough, Sigfried was not going to back down. Usally all I had to do was yell to him & call him but this time he was too far away & I didn't see it until too late.

Normally he couldn't wait to meet someone new & get his head rubbed. Never growled any any person & this was the only incident, I could not blame him for protecting himself.

The follow up test to the HZP has a blood tracking portion. I didn't do it but I am told they drip blood, a drop every step, let it age for 8 hrs & then you have to have your dog do the track to the deer, put him in down position, & leave for 5 minutes, he can't get up, howl or try to drag the deer to you.

They also have to retrieve a fox & some other stuff that requires a lot of dicispline & control.

My first dog would blood track, though I only trained him a little. It is amazing what you can get these dogs to do. They will do fur, feather, upland game, ducks, geese, blood track, what ever you train them to do.

It is a good feeling when your hunting buds say, lets just take your dog today.

Sig

- Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DW--great looking dog. How old is Hank?

Here's Belle on a windy day in N. Dakota.

[Linked Image]

and as a pup.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by HuntKY; 08/13/10.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
HuntKY, not much doubt as a pup she was going to be wooly. Great.

- Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just love those puppy pics. The adult dog pics are cool too. I have two GWPs. Had one before that. Two of the three love people. The black and white was kept at the breeder's kennel till he was 3 months old. Never had the opportunity to get him used to other people when young. He is not fond of strangers. He tolerates a few of my friends but is wary. But put him in the field and he ignores all but the birds.

Here is a pic of them on a dove hunt

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jesse jaymes, I have oe of lee roots "c" litter dogs. this is her pic from her first season, it was the last day of the chukkar season on wild birds.....pretty good for a 6 month old pup. [Linked Image]

found this quail that the setter and pointer could not......at 5 months old.
[Linked Image]

she worked well on pheasants too. she has never seen a pen bird all wild.
[Linked Image]

this is a series from when I took here on her first ever hunt. she only weighed about 15 lbs...lol
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntKY
Our Griff is pretty headstrong, but a Drahthaar just won't back down from anything.

Get your skunk kit ready.

my draht went toe to toe with a coyote when she was 35lbs. I kicked her off a creek bank after some birds and landed her on the coyote. I hit the coyote in the front leg with my 16 ga and then the fight was on. she flat whooped its butt.....killed it and tried to bring it to me....lol.

yeah, I have been down the skunk road too....and porqupines.

good thing momma works as a veterinary surgical tech.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 49 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,847
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.