Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Pugs
Nothing like dropping a portable sun on an enemy to make the point that they have behaved poorly.

That quote is a keeper...

Inspired by one of those gucci beers. Just saying. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I wonder how many Japanese people are alive today because we dropped the bombs and didn't have to carry out our invasion plans? They should thank us instead of wanting an apology.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should I be drinking Sapporo or maybe even splurging on Saki today??

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Notropis
I wonder how many Japanese people are alive today because we dropped the bombs and didn't have to carry out our invasion plans? They should thank us instead of wanting an apology.

One would think so. Kind of like if we had kicked azz in Nam there would be another couple million Viets to pump their economy...and about 30 K GIs here enjoying their grandkids.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny how the libtards forgot Pearl Harbor and the atrocities that were committed in Japanese POW camps.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how many of us on this site are here today because our fathers did not have to die invading the Jap homelands. In spite of what those who want to rewrite history say, it was a good day for America.

My dad was in the army and home from europe waiting for orders for what to do next.
He was waiting for orders that would have sent him to the pacific.
The portable sun thing made sure that didnt happen.
Count me in.
Dropping two a-bombs was one of the best moves we made during the whole war.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The U.S.S. Panay Yangtze River Patrol Sunk in a Japanese Air Attack on 12 December 1937. Well Imperial Japan gotten what was coming to it. After Sept 2, 1945 they became our charges, and we left them in pretty good shape when you get right down to it. Dropping those two bombs was the right thing to do. To have done different would have been a horror. And if we did that, today they would have been talking about we had this bomb that would have end it now, and we didn't use it. The Party in power at the time would not be able to get elected dog catcher let alone anything else. Yep it was the right thing in the end, and how we took care of the Japanese after is the real story of the War in the Pacific.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Funny how the libtards forgot Pearl Harbor and the atrocities that were committed in Japanese POW camps.....

Dont get me started, my unlce was a POW of the Japanese...and my dad too was on leave after fighting in Europe up till V-E day, when he was told he was going to the Pacific. They dropped the bombs while he was on leave..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
made in america, tested in japan!

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I recall, the firebombing of Tokyo killed more Japanese than either Hiroshima or Nagasaki. Many have forgotten.

"The first raid using low-flying B-29s carrying incendiary bombs to drop on Tokyo was on the night of 24�25 February 1945 when 174 B-29s destroyed around one square mile (3 km�) of the city.[citation needed] Changing their tactics to expand the coverage and increase the damage, 335 B-29s took off[2] to raid on the night of 9�10 March, with 279 of them[2] dropping around 1,700 tons of bombs. Fourteen B-29s were lost.[2] Approximately 16 square miles (41 km�) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the resulting firestorm, more than the immediate deaths of either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki atomic bombs.[3][4] The US Strategic Bombing Survey later estimated that nearly 88,000 people died in this one raid, 41,000 were injured, and over a million residents lost their homes. The Tokyo Fire Department estimated a higher toll: 97,000 killed and 125,000 wounded. The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department established a figure of 124,711 casualties including both killed and wounded and 286,358 buildings and homes destroyed. Richard Rhodes, historian, put deaths at over 100,000, injuries at a million and homeless residents at a million."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to work with a engineer that walked into the office on hiroshima day. raised both arms in the air and proclamed very loudly "today... is saved my ass day!" he explaned he had been a marine 90 day wonder preparing for the invasion of Japan. he also said that there would be 5 lieutenants instead of 1 in every platoon. the reasoning being maybe one would survive the landing to lead.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the atrocities committed by the Japanese against the conquered peoples of Asia and the islands were far worse in scale than what they did to Allied prisoners.....the numbers of Burmese, Filipinos, Chinese and Malayans murdered defies estimation.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the atrocities committed by the Japanese against the conquered peoples of Asia and the islands were far worse in scale than what they did to Allied prisoners.....the numbers of Burmese, Filipinos, Chinese and Malayans murdered defies estimation.

True. Many, many ruthless savages lacking even a shred of decency and humanity in that mob. Dropping the bomb was a no-brainer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
happen to be toward the end of Max Hastings's Retribution now......and it is almost unbelievable that the retreating armies would take the time for such creative mayhem and cruelty.

also, didn't know that LeMay kept up the fire bombing of cities even after Hiroshima.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife's Grandma, who I adore and hosts us and gives us our own apartment when we go, told me some of her memories of the war, after I asked. She got sort of quiet and took a minute to speak, but it was a whole different perspective. She explained that the country folks knew only what they were told, that the war was started by others and that Japan was winning the war. She remembers the hardships she as a child and the other rural poor endured, again, knowing only what they were told/spoonfed by the 'media'. It was with a palpable sense of horror and shame with which she spoke, the total sense of shock and disbelief she felt when she began to learn what her country had been engaged in. Weird perspective made weirder for me, given my family background and experience on my Japanese immigrant side. I sometimes think to myself, holy sheet, a mere generation separates me from family--my parents-- who lived through WWII. When I think about it like that, I can begin to understand the hate that still exists.

Here's hoping the kind of history that gave us both World Wars never repeats itself.

Last edited by lhonda; 08/06/10.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lhonda
Here's hoping the kind of history that gave us both World Wars never repeats itself.

Amen to that.

Unfortunately, Hitler, Mussolini & Tojo have been replaced by Chavez, Kim Jong-Il and Ahmadinejad. Fascism has been replaced with Islamic terrorism. Muslims started the first global war when they assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and they will start the last world war.

So, only the names have changed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii
I wonder how many of us on this site are here today because our fathers did not have to die invading the Jap homelands. In spite of what those who want to rewrite history say, it was a good day for America.

Count me in. Father was in the 5th Marines/ 26th Regiment. Uncle was 5th Marines/ 27th Regiment. Both wounded on Day 3 of the battle on Iwo.

Dad used to say, " Don't go looking for a fight and then cry when you find one". Figure it applied to the Japanese ( back then ).

Probable for me. Dad was in Mobile Alabama home from three years in India helping to put together a new division scheduled for the second phase of the invasion of Japan. He was a signals officer Army Air Corps.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly, you can count me and my wife in that number. When the first bomb was dropped, my father was on Okinawa, my father in-law was headed to Okinawa on a troop ship (he went ashore on Omaha Beach D+1 and walked a good part of the way across France and Germany). My Uncle Joe was wounded in North Africa and on Guadalcanal and was waiting for transport from Kwajalein to Okinawa. My wife�s Uncle was wounded on Iwo Jima and was trying to talk a Doctor into letting him back in the fight.
Some estimates put American casualties at 1,000,000 just to secure the beach.

I was flying a Cub one day South of Albuquerque and met a man named Baker who was a liaison pilot. He was trained to fly L-4�s off Liberty ships with recovery via a hook, which grabbed a cable between two of the ships masts. He told me he never worried about the recovery, directing artillery fire over the beach head was a one-way mission.

Our biggest problem is revisionists re-writing history. We cannot change the past, but we do need to learn from it.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Nothing like dropping a portable sun on an enemy to make the point that they have behaved poorly.

Even Miss Manners would approve of that one. Impolite behaviour should never be tolerated in a civilized society.

wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,340
Posts18,526,828
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.