Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Through this entire thread, you haven't said what country or out fit you are going with. Where ya hunting?

maddog

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Andrews,
My dad and I just got back from a plains game hunt where he shot 10 animals with his 7x57 using 160gr. TSX. He took his 300WSM but it stayed in the case. I used my .308 with 168 gr. TSX for my 20+ animals. I plan on returning next year where I will probably be taking a 7-08 and my bow. The only reason I can see using something like the 375 or 416 is if you might encounter dangerous game.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Andrews1958,

I just got back from an African plains game hunt and took my .338 Win Mag. I do NOT think you need the 375, unless you are very comfortable with it.

I killed 10 animals from Impala to Kudu and was very impressed with the performance of the .338 with Barnes TSX 210s. The only reason I took the .338 in the first place was that I had intended to shoot an eland, but I decided againt it after I got there.

As others have said, shot placement and familiarity with your rifle are more important than caliber. On my next trip, and yes, I expect there will be one, I would plan to take my 300 WSM for plains game with a quality bullet such as a 180 Barnes, NP, or TBBC.

Enjoy your trip.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
At this time from my conversations talking to outfitters it looks like it will be in Eastern and Central Mozambique

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
AH springbok and black wildebeast in Moz.? Not calling you out, buddy, but yer trophy list looks a bit different than yer destination!

Even at that, why would you fly into RSA, and pay all that money to fly into Moz.? You can get all those critters in Namibia, and RSA, for less $$s than going to Moz. If this is yer 1st trip, I might humbley suggest checking out some other places! For the helluvit, here is where we hunted in 2008, and I'd highly reccomend them for a quality plains game hunt!

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Not trying to stop you from your intended destination, but just a little curious about your wish list, and your destination.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/09/10.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hunting in Africa is something totally new to me. I have just started speaking to outfitters in the last couple of weeks. Any information on good outfitters and what I should look out for from your experiances would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard some stories where people have got burnt. I definately have lot of research to do before booking my hunt. Any information that would be of help me would be greatly appreciated

I just want to go on a great plains hunt that I will remember for a long time. I have a budjet of around 10,000 for everything including flights from Boston.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks maddog for the information. I will contact your outfitter. Sounds like they offer some great hunts. I am looking for a 10 day hunt. Would this give me enough time to have a good hunt?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Check out thaba mmoyo safaris. I had a great time! Not sure of the web page, but I am sure you could find them with any search engine. Family owned and really hard workers. They have over 250,000 family owned acres in the limpopo just south of Zimbabwe. You can also check out JJHack from this forum.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Great info Thanks for the ifo. Lots of research to be done

What is the best time of the year to hunt in Africa? I have 4 weeks off in September. Would this be to late in the season?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by andrews1958

What is the best time of the year to hunt in Africa? I have 4 weeks off in September. Would this be to late in the season?

Nope, Sept. would be ok. Besides, you might catch flights on the "shoulder" season, and they may be a little cheaper.

This place is a great site, but I'm going to give you another, to go check out.

www.accuratereloading.com/

They are a bunch of hard boiled nuts over there, but the wealth of info, on hunting africa, is worth it.

maddog

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maddog
AH springbok and black wildebeast in Moz.? Not calling you out, buddy, but yer trophy list looks a bit different than yer destination!

Even at that, why would you fly into RSA, and pay all that money to fly into Moz.? You can get all those critters in Namibia, and RSA, for less $$s than going to Moz. If this is yer 1st trip, I might humbley suggest checking out some other places! For the helluvit, here is where we hunted in 2008, and I'd highly reccomend them for a quality plains game hunt!

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Not trying to stop you from your intended destination, but just a little curious about your wish list, and your destination.

maddog

Black Wildebeest in Namibia ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are correct, they are not native, but any number of the high fence operations have them. Blesbuck also are not native, but a number of operators keep them, often as a buffer species, to give the cheetahs something stupid to concentrate on rather than the springbuck and other more desirable game.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Agreed. Black wildebeast aren't native to Namibia, as stated above. Only point I was making, is that he could get his species in either country. Not sure if he could get them in Moz., or for that fact why he would try to hunt them there. But he is admittedly new to the game, so he's got a ton of looking to do. With the right outfit, he will do very well in either Namibia, or RSA

maddog

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks maddog for the information. I will contact your outfitter. Sounds like they offer some great hunts. I am looking for a 10 day hunt. Would this give me enough time to have a good hunt?

Because I can't search back far enough on the campfire to find it, here is a link to our trip, in 2008, from another site.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/304103498?r=304103498#304103498

maddog

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Wow, I spoke to camp fire member dinsdale over the weekend and do I have a lot to lern and decisions to make before I go on my trip to Africa. Great guy to talk to and a wealth of information on hunting over there.

It is definately not as easy as booking a deer, antalope, bear or elk hunt

I will be speaking to a few guides this week to get some ideas.

One thing now I am covered with rifles. 300 win, 338 win and hopefully a 375 shortly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
are you planning dangerous or plains game? 300/338 win mag is overlap. I would suggest 338 as heavier bullets are available.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You're in the right place to learn--but as with all--take it with a grain of salt. Ask questions here, READ hunting books and articles--esp. about hunting in Africa. Go hunting here.

Go to the range and shoot, esp. learn to shoot off of sticks and/or improvised rests. Shoot off-hand. Learn about the species you want to hunt. Learn about the tactics of hunting. I think it's way more important than learning about 'x' grain bullet at 'y' FPS, etc. The latter is good information but HOW to hunt (even with a guide) is going to be a lifelong process.

September is not too late to hunt. I'm going next week and will be in RSA and Namibia through the 2nd week in Sept. I'd go up through and including all of October. Some go later--depending on species sought and country.

FYI-I like to have a two rifle battery. Not necessary and a bit more hassle in terms of weight, etc. BUT...if something goes wrong (never does right?) you have a backup. I know I could take all the game I'm after with either rifle (plains game) but Africa almost always presents some sort of surprise.

This time I'm taking a 7x57 (shooting 156 gr. Oryx bullets) and a .375 Ruger (300 gr. DGX)

As you'll hear over and over--take what you are confident in shooting well.

Cheers and good hunting.

Rectum non bustus
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Any good books that you would suggest reading on African animals and their locations and also how to plan a hunt?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Boddington's "Safari Rifles II"

Robertson's "The Perfect Shot"

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by maddog
Boddington's "Safari Rifles II"

Robertson's "The Perfect Shot"

maddog

Yep, and yep....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 64 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.