Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lets just say somebody wanted to build a VERY Lightweight mountain rifle in 375 WSM, probably Rem Model Seven based??????<P>What aftermarket stocks do you guys know of that push the limits for lightweight?<P>Love You Guys<P>Tex<P>------------------<BR>Deja Moo - The feeling I've heard this B.S. before?<P>Apologies to Pete Millan for stealing his signature.

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex,if you want the ULTIMATE in light,accuracy and durability,there is but one word,ULA(Ultra Light arms). That choice,for many reasons. Though I am not familiar with Melvin's current line-up,I'll address his old. Foremost,his impeccable receiver. Both diminutive and high precision. It offers grace and brute strength,harnessed in a single package(put Mike Tyson in his PRIME,in a Tutu!!). That great piece of work,is mated to an excellent barrel(Douglas)and trigger(Timney). Another added attribute,is his short actions,mag-box length(full 3.00").Furthermore,Mel crafted his own stocks. Again,that craftsmanship,is without parallel. House that entire package,in a complete unit,and you'll want for nothing. So,my gut assumption(though dangerous)would tell me,that a package so constructed would weigh under your parameters and shoot sub half-inch. The entire package,would be under the 6lb mark,with a 22" tube. Simply put,it is the stuff of dreams. My current understanding,is that Mel is currently in production.......

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark Bansners High-tech synthetics might be worth looking into. He is in Pa.

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Brown Precision in CA offers their kevlar pounder stock. Weighs 13-16 oz. I don't know of one lighter. You can easily make a 6-6.5 pound rifle with one.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
But instead of buying a complete Ultra Arms rifle, lets say you were to build one.... <P>I know many here favor the rem 700 but ..... how much weight differance exactly is there between the rem 700 short action and comparable models from ruger or winchester. What about Sako? Do they have a lightweght short action ? Did I miss anyone else within reason? Weatherby Ultalight maybe as a starting point? <P>What else is there?<P>Tex<P><BR>I should of started a new thread with this question? Help !! (grin)<P>------------------<BR>Deja Moo - The feeling I've heard this B.S. before?<P>Apologies to Pete Millan for stealing his signature.<p>[This message has been edited by texas_hunter (edited February 21, 2001).]

IC B2

Brown Precsion's kevlar pounder weighs in at 13-16 oz. It's the lightest stock I'm aware of.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Does anyone have a website for Brown Precision? I can't find it?<P>What I should of started a new thread on was when I asked for differnace in weight beween NOT THE STOCKS but the just the Short Actions themselves from the various manufacturers such as Ruger, Rem, Win, Sako, etc... Trying to determine how much weight I give up using a non Rem 700 short action to build on for example. <P>Anyone know the weight of the differant standard short actions?<P>I know I know, I trashed my own thread here and should of started a new one to get an answer probably.<P>Te<BR><P>------------------<BR>Deja Moo - The feeling I've heard this B.S. before?<P>Apologies to Pete Millan for stealing his signature.

Here are some weights of actions from Brown Precisions catalog (916-384-2506). They do not have a website. The weigts include bolt, guard screws, trigger guard magazine liner, trigger assembly, recoil lugs, follower and spring.<P>Rem 700 short ADL 2lbs 3.5oz<BR>Rem 700 short BDL 2lbs 4oz<BR>Rem 700 long ADL 2lbs 6.5oz<BR>Rem 700 long BDL 2lbs 7oz<BR>Rem 600 1lb 15oz<BR>Rem 788 2lbs 11oz<BR>Rem 7 2lbs 2oz<BR>Mauser Mark X 2lbs 15oz<BR>Sako medium 2lbs 5oz<BR>Sako long 2lbs 13oz<BR>Ruger short 2lbs 6oz<BR>Ruger long 2lbs 8.5oz<BR>Win 70 2lbs 10oz<BR>Weatherby Van long 2lbs 13oz<BR>Weatherby Mark V 3lbs 3oz<P>I hope this helps. Again, their kevlar pounder stock weighs between 13-16oz. I own 3 of their stocks on Model 600 actions and they are great. Last I remember, the stock run about $280 unfinished. It's some work finishing a kevlar stock, but anyone can do it. I think they run about $600 finished. I hope this helps. If you need any more info, please e-mail me at astonertntie.com. I've put together several rifles that weigh <6 pounds with scope.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex,I have Custom guns on 700longs(BDL and ADL),700shorts(BDL and ADL),both in S/S and cromoly. Rem600. Rem788. Remington Model Seven in S/S. Also,a fairly "tricky" XP-100 single-shot mid grip. I have Custom Ruger's (MKI roundtop) and MKII S/S. Weatherby,on their Varmintmaster. Sako L61R. Win pre'64. Savage short action. Had several Mauser 98's. Probably have something,that I forgot to mention too. Anyway,for a TRUE light rifle,I'd suggest a Remington Model Seven. One,it can be had in S/S. Two,though a tad heavier,than a 600series,it's trigger is superb as is. It also rides in a better location(trigger face),has a "regular" bolt handle,an external bolt release,has two rear bridge scope base screws,and superior bottom metal. Simply,it lacks little,as a place to start. My favorite rifle,is my Rem600 in 25-284,but it took many "extras" and is still short of the Model Seven's attributes. If you want a GREAT light rifle,for reasonable,buy the Model Seven LSS. That gives you the barreled action. Take the LSS stock,advertise it for sale,and you'll get an IMMEDIATE $100 bill out of it. That greatly pads,your light stock purchase. So for $200 over sticker price,you walk with a S/S barreled action,that requires no external finish,and a topflight stock,crafted to your wishes. It will outshoot,outlast and be lighter than the Factory rifle. Get it in 7-08,and you have a do-everything rifle. The 375WSM conversion,will add much to the cost. The bolt face needs opened,a Sako extractor(or AR-15)installed,and a new barrel. You'll have $400 into the barrel and action work,as a minimum.<BR> Off the wall stuff,starts adding up!.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LoneEagle:<BR>[B]Mark Bansners High-tech synthetics might be worth looking into. He is in Pa.<P>Lone Eagle. I had one of those "High Tech" stocks in hand 2 weeks ago. I couldn't beleive how much lighter they were then the McMillan Graphite stocks. I have no idea what the resin/composite make-up is that they use but it is one tough stock. I squeezed the butt end of the stock quite forcefully and it never moved at all. It is foam filled and extremely durable and light as a feather. <P>Don [Linked Image]<P>

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick, I want to add a little tid-bit to your comments about the Model 7. The newer model have two holes for the rear sight base. The older models have only one. The newer model 7's seem to have better machining than the older(one hole) actions. I have owned four of the older model 7's, and on every one there was a distint "gouge" in the feed ramp next to the left feed rail. In fact every older model 7 I have checked had the same flaw. Does it effect the feed or function? No. Does it show poor machine work? Yes. I purposfully have checked the newer molel 7's (two hole) and have not seen that defect in any of the half dozen I have seen. If this says anything, It says Remington QC has improved on the Model 7's, which is a pleasent supprise. I make it a point to really check the feedramps on any Model 7 I buy. Just one of the little things you learn to look for. GB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Georgia Boy,both sides of the feedramps on the older S/S Sevens,were scalloped. For whatever reason. Gentry makes bases in both one and two hole,configuration. We all got the two hole,and drilled the old receivers to accept the additional screw. I often use the dual dovetail XP-100 on the 1pc base. Though heavy,it is hell for stout. I have them on my XP,600,and Sevens. I never could savvy,the feedramp mod? The reason I mentioned the two holes,on the rear bridge,is that discerns new production........... <p>[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited February 26, 2001).]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick. The older model 7's that I referred to were not only scalloped, but you could see where the tool "bit" into the metal on the left side, an apperant tooling flaw. All of the ones I checked were the chrom/moly veriaty. Maybe some other posters could check their older chrom/molly actions to see if they concur. The point I am trying to make is QC on the newer model 7's seems to be improving. Attaboy for Remington. GB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GB,sounds good to me. BUT,the new ones come with a key. I'm afraid,they can stick that in their azz. A guy can't win!........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It seems we are back to that "wart" thing. You know that warts are a sign of an "STD".(Socalist Thinking Disease)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (320090T, 163bc, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,939
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.