Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Awe hell one of the old tricks was for the local LEO's to put a chalk mark on the sidewall of tires on the cars parked at local bars. As you drive by them (LEO's sittin in their car off the side of the road) at night the chalk flashes, they'll find SOME reason to stop you. So to help out a little we'd chalk the tires of cars.... at the 7-11 store down the street.

I never heard of that. I do remember when the Florida cops got in trouble for using tube wax on the headlights of the vehicles that were at the bars.

Dink

GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
There are no laws that I know of which require or mandate anyone to perform any field tests or field alka-sensors.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's gonna be different state to state and different locales within a state . In Texas , if there was no accident , and if you have the bucks , you can count on beating the first one , so you want to be sure that you are ALWAYS being charged with the first one . It doesn't look as bad for the prosecuter if he shows leniency on a first-timer .

It actually works to your advantage if the cop charges you with something else - unlawful carrying of a weapon for instance - since it gives your lawyer a bargaining chip .Plead guilty to it and skate on the DUI .

Videos are rough but prescription drugs can explain it to a jury sometimes . The video also means the arresting officer doesn't have to remember a lot of details .

Absent a video , a good lawyer will tell you to write down every small detail such as what color shirt you have on etc. He is banking that the cop will have no memory of small stuff like that two years after the event .When you " remember " all those little details [ how many cars went by while you were stopped ] and he doesn't , you become more believable .

The bucks allow you to get a good DWI atty and allow him to give you his best effort which means dragging it out as long as possible .

I ain't a lawyer or a cop so I'll leave it to you to figure out how I know so much ! grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by isaac
There are no laws that I know of which require or mandate anyone to perform any field tests or field alka-sensors.

Issac if your talking to me about testifying on the fields. Your right there are no laws requiring anyone to take fields.

If the drunk did perform fields though they want that surpressed so you can't testify that the drunk fell over on the one leg stand. If they argue that you should not have given the field sobriety test in the first place and the judge agrees he will not let me testify to it.

Dink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why do cops and lawyers refuse to take a test when busted for DUI? What is the advantage to refusing?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by T LEE
One trick I used to use at night was to approach from behind headlights off and then flip them on, they usually crossed the center line or dropped a wheel off the pavement. Worked more times than not for me.

Did I mention that I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS?

In Your neck of the woods that might startle a few stone sober bluehairs just as easily.. wink

Nah, they go in with the sundown. Kinda like chickens going to roost.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ALWAYS tell the pros & def that they ran off the road or crossed the center line, that was my PC for the stop! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by chadwimc
Why do cops and lawyers refuse to take a test when busted for DUI? What is the advantage to refusing?

Because there will be no evidence at all if they don't take the test. If a cop asks you to take the tests, generally he has already made up his mind to arrest you for DWI. He isn't looking to see if you "pass" the tests. He is looking for evidence to convict you of DWI. If you don't do any of the tests, then the only evidence that he has is that he smelled alcohol or something like that as long as you weren't driving eratically.

Now, most states will administratively suspend your license if you refuse the tests, but an administrative suspension beats a DWI for all kinds of reasons.

In my experience the video is key. If a guy looks and acts drunk on the video, he is going down. If he doesn't, then there is a decent chance to beat the DWI no matter what the machine said.

I got one reduced yesterday by the prosecution. Of course, the cop said that the guy failed all the tests and he blew just over the legal limit. The actual video was a joke. He passed all the tests and looked completely fine doing it. So, I watched the video and told the prosecutor he really needed to look at it. After he did, he called me back and dropped the case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

In Florida you are not required to but it is prima facie (SP) evidence in court you were and a guaranteed conviction.

The bottom of our license states: "The operation of a motor vehicle constitutes consent to any sobriety test required by law."

Old cat turd!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
"required by law" I'd love to see any law which mandated a driver to perform field tests.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"required by law" I'd love to see any law which mandated a driver to perform field tests.

There isn't of course. But most states will administratively suspend your license if you don't.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
Originally Posted by chadwimc

Because there will be no evidence at all if they don't take the test. If a cop asks you to take the tests, generally he has already made up his mind to arrest you for DWI. He isn't looking to see if you "pass" the tests. He is looking for evidence to convict you of DWI. If you don't do any of the tests, then the only evidence that he has is that he smelled alcohol or something like that as long as you weren't driving eratically.

Now, most states will administratively suspend your license if you refuse the tests, but an administrative suspension beats a DWI for all kinds of reasons.

In my experience the video is key. If a guy looks and acts drunk on the video, he is going down. If he doesn't, then there is a decent chance to beat the DWI no matter what the machine said.

I got one reduced yesterday by the prosecution. Of course, the cop said that the guy failed all the tests and he blew just over the legal limit. The actual video was a joke. He passed all the tests and looked completely fine doing it. So, I watched the video and told the prosecutor he really needed to look at it. After he did, he called me back and dropped the case.

Now if you refuse the breathalyzer we get a search warrant to draw blood.

Dink

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
For one week here but that's instituted upon arrest.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
The taillight is pc for the stop.

In this state you will not make the DWI case for a tail light out if the drunk gets a attorney.

When the attorney starts to argue that his client slurs his words everyday, his eyes are blood shot because he was tired, and he told you he had two beers and that is the reason you could smell alcohol and blah blah blah. IT just goes on and on...

The attorney will argue that there was no reason to have his client perform field sobriety test because he was stopped for a non-moving violation and showed no impairment while driving.

The St.louis area has some of the best DWI attorneys in the united states and if I stop a vehicle for a tail ligh out I will not make that case.

DWI enforcement is what I do. I have arrested hundreds of DWI's and I know what I can make and what I can't. If I do stop a car with head light out and the drivers drunk sure I am going to try to make it but I am not supriesed when it won't fly.

Dink

I hear stuff like this all the time. Usually from cops that don't like their arrest questioned at all. They don't believe they should have to explain themselves. They talk about how the defense attorneys ask this, that, and the other. When you press these officers you find out they rarely lose a case based on that stuff, they just don't like being questioned about it. They made the arrest, it's good, so all these questions are BS, but since the lawyer is asking them, they must be "making hay" with them.

Or it could be that your judges are liberal, I don't know. At any rate, a good DUI can be made off a stop that doesn't involve "observed impaired driving".

Here the officers all believe that they can't admit to having a belief prior to contact that the driver is drunk, or the attorney will make it out like they decided to make the arrest before they ever performed any FSTs, or even talked to the driver. So they have to develope some benign "non-impaired driving violation" for PC. Once had a DUI I defended...had a suppression hearing...the stop had been made because the driver was "driving suspiciously slow" and "weaving" though the officer admitted she never left her lane of travel. Charge was DUI (combined influence alcohol/drugs with a .04 BAC and no blood test for drugs) and Reckless Driving . At the suppression hearing the officer admitted that he witnessed no citable violations of any kind before the stop, though he later charged her with Reckless Driving. I moved to suppress the stop, and the judge ruled against me stating that "I know that you defense attorneys want to get an officer to admit they thought the driver was drunk before they stopped them, and I'm not going to make this officer say that. I know why he stopped your client." The jury saw it more my way and I got a not guilty on the DUI, but I was forced to it because of one of these pre-conceived notions. Oh, even at trial the officer admitted that he witnessed no traffic violations prior to the stop, but the jury still found her guilty of Reckless Driving even though they found her not guilty of DUI. ROFLMFAO!

War Damn Eagle!

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I believe that is the case in UT as well, T.

refusing the test is about the same as pleading guilty.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I tell my clients to refuse each and every field test request during the stop and then,after arrest, I don't care if they take the station test or not.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There isn't of course. But most states will administratively suspend your license if you don't.

There's no requirement in AL that you perform any FSTs. And you can't have your license suspened for refusing to.

War Damn Eagle!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I believe that is the case in UT as well, T.

refusing the test is about the same as pleading guilty.

============

You're confusing field tests with the breathalyzer or blood testing after arrest.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem

There's no requirement in AL that you perform any FSTs. And you can't have your license suspened for refusing to.

I'm, of course, not familiar with every state's DUI laws, but in AL, FSTs aren't required under implied consent, and thus you can refuse them without penalty, including hand-held alco-sensors, and the fact you refused to take them, isn't admissible in court as they're not required in the first place. The breath test (the implied consent test covered by the DUI law) is another story.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same here, FL supposedly has the toughest DUI laws in the nation. I remember when I first moved it here is WAS NOT against the law to drink & drive, just DUI.

Old cat turd!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.