-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
...and the ones that have known me sober for over 25 years .

Good for you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Why would someone plead not-guilty to a DUI. He failed a field sobriety test and blew a 0.143 at the police station. What kind of argument can the defense have in a case like this? Just seems a little wierd.

Lloyd's vehicle was stopped in the downtown area at about 1:45 a.m. Sunday morning for expired tags. He additionally was charged with one count of reckless endangerment because he had a passenger in his vehicle.

The JPD officer making the stop determined that Lloyd showed indicators that required a field sobriety test, which Lloyd failed, according to police.

JPD Sgt. David Campbell told The Associated Press that Lloyd was arrested and taken to the police station, where he failed a blood alcohol test, commonly known as a Breathalyzer, by allegedly showing a blood alcohol level of .143.

Juneau city attorney John Hartle confirmed the number.

Story

In my experience with DWI/DUI's, which is not vast, the only one's that didn't plea were those who felt their chances with a jury were better than the deal offered. A few just couldn't do probation or accept a conviction, but most had lots of priors and were looking at LOTs of time if convicted.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did I miss something fellas? laugh

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by curdog4570
One in Jack CTY TX -pled guilty we/o lawyer . Fine and probation .

One in Tarrant Cty TX - Lawyer got it thrown out .

One in Young CTY Tx - pled down to unlawful carrying of weapon .

One in Chickasha OK -- Lawyer I paid 1500 bucks [ 1980 dollars ] got drunk and didn't show up . Found guilty by judge who was talking to his girlfriend on the phone while he was holding my "trial " . Paid fine .No probation .

One in Archer Cty Tx . Plea deal worked out by lawyers . Fine and probation .

Never lost my license . Because of shorter " enhancement periods " back then , each one was a first offense .

You spoke some truth earlier :

Fact is that I had no business on the hiway if my BAC was LESS than .010 .No accidents from being drunk . [ that by the grace of God , obviously ]

FWIW THe gov't or nobody [ including me ] spent a dime sobering me up .

And I have a CCL . grin

End of answers . No more questions . Have a good day .

Posterity sake.

Just saw this little jewel .For some reason it conjures up an image of someone who once was "someone " and had some measure of authority over some folks and is now forced to confront his impotence every time he turns around .

Anybody with half a brain would know I don't give a damn who reads anything I post on here or I wouldn't post it so this "posterity sake" comment makes no sense at all .

Here are a few more facts for all you stalwart defenders of truth and justice :

In 1985 - which happens to be the year I had my last drink of alcohol - Ed Shields was starting his second term as Young County Sheriff and the newspaper ran a story that revealed that Young County had three times the DWI conviction total of Wichita County which had ten times the population .That is newsworthy .

All his deputies , the Hiway Patrolmen , County Atty ,County Judge - ALL the courthouse crowd knew Ed was a drunk .Then Ed left a private club in a neighboring town at 2 am one weeknight , crossed over the center line and hit another car head on .Killed Ed , Left one in the other car paralyzed for life and the other occupant was seriously injured .

I've wondered at times if any of that bunch ever felt the slightest twinge of guilt for looking the other way where Ed was concerned . I doubt they ever did .

Anyhow LOUDMOUTH , my post paints a pretty un-flattering picture of who I was 25 years ago ; Yours reveals what you are like today .

You really ought to calm down .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Curdog not that my opinion matters much but I think it takes a back bone to post that in a public forum.

Good for you kicking the habit.

Dink

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Agree, Dink and well done and well said, curdog.

But that's what being honest gets you sometimes and certain folks don't seem to handle honesty too well at all. VAnimrod, you can copy this one for posterity, too.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Not taking away from Curdog's spectacular accomplishment but he shouldn't post the facts later and then use it to attack a reply to a post of his which, initially, on it's face, was rather remarkable. The line of replies leading up to it were rather remarkable, as well, and it's easy to grasp the reasons premising the consternation.

If he had posted his replies in reverse order, this issue wouldn't have caused any edgy uneasiness. The miscommunications and misunderstandings weren't unreasonable,considering.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

Somewhere in this thread (too lazy to reference it) someone asked if defense attorneys could in "good conscience" get their client off on a tecnicality knowing full well that he was guilty.

I know this issue has been beat to death here many times before and I am certainly not an attorney, but I believe that regardless of their client's guilt or innocence, lawyers should do everything they can to ensure that their Constitutionally guaranteed rights are protected and that he/she recieves a fair trial and NOTHING MORE THAN THAT!

The exception of course would be in cases where the charges were either frivolous to begin with or the law was simply an unjust one.

In other words, I don't believe that when a defense attorney knows his client is guilty, he should resort to using technicalities, gimmicks or other types of subterfuge in an effort to gain aquittal.

I use the OJ Simpson case as an example.

Am I missing something here??

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - curdog, if you're being honest, then honestly, you're a DSMFer and a disgrace. Folks like you make attorneys a good bit of money, and rightfully so, as you continually violate the "stupidity clause".

Personally, and having defended several like you, the best verdict is a big, steaming cup of STFU and likely jail time before you end up killing someone.

Of course, seeing what a habitual DWI defendant can do to a family when that POS takes a car with a mom and two kids (she was sober, drunk crossed completely into her lane) head-on will occasionally make a difference.

Then again, you're different, right? Just like he was.....

If I ever get back your way we'll talk about it .Personally , I have no use for hypocritical tee- totalers and obviously you've never driven when your BAC was over the limit . That's not a question . I wouldn't expect an honest answer from the likes of you .

I'm content to be judged by folks that know me . The ones who knew me drunk and the ones that have known me sober for over 25 years .

You are real quick on the verbal trigger , BIGMOUTH . Thought they taught better than that in law school, or , are you another TRH ?

I'm going to a meeting and I'm done with you .

Wrong, and your reading comprehension is pathetic.

I've been schit faced, many times over. Driven when I shouldn't have, and lived to tell about it. Thank God so did everyone else out there.

And, yeah, given the chance, I'd say exactly the same thing to your face. If you've been sober for 25 years, then congratulations and thank you. Taking on that demon, and winning, ain't easy. I'll say that your face as well.

That said, if you can't look back on who/what you were then, and find dishonor in that as well as seeing clearly how dangerous those like you were then are to others out there, then you obviously are lacking in many rather significant areas.

Facts, are facts.

Last edited by VAnimrod; 08/11/10.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by nemesis
Bob,

Somewhere in this thread (too lazy to reference it) someone asked if defense attorneys could in "good conscience" get their client off on a tecnicality knowing full well that he was guilty.

I know this issue has been beat to death here many times before and I am certainly not an attorney, but I believe that regardless of their client's guilt or innocence, lawyers should do everything they can to ensure that their Constitutionally guaranteed rights are protected and that he/she recieves a fair trial and NOTHING MORE THAN THAT!

The exception of course would be in cases where the charges were either frivolous to begin with or the law was simply an unjust one.

In other words, I don't believe that when a defense attorney knows his client is guilty, he should resort to using technicalities, gimmicks or other types of subterfuge in an effort to gain aquittal.

A "technicality" is a procedural screw-up by the prosecution. They screw up, and the defendant walks. Pure and simple.

A defense attorney's job, or one of them, is to make sure the prosecution does their job well and properly.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by isaac
Not taking away from Curdog's spectacular accomplishment but he shouldn't post the facts later and then use it to attack a reply to a post of his which, initially, on it's face, was rather remarkable. The line of replies leading up to it were rather remarkable, as well, and it's easy to grasp the reasons premising the consternation.

If he had posted his replies in reverse order, this issue wouldn't have caused any edgy uneasiness. The miscommunications and misunderstandings weren't unreasonable,considering.

Exactly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
One in Jack CTY TX -pled guilty we/o lawyer . Fine and probation .

One in Tarrant Cty TX - Lawyer got it thrown out .

One in Young CTY Tx - pled down to unlawful carrying of weapon .

One in Chickasha OK -- Lawyer I paid 1500 bucks [ 1980 dollars ] got drunk and didn't show up . Found guilty by judge who was talking to his girlfriend on the phone while he was holding my "trial " . Paid fine .No probation .

One in Archer Cty Tx . Plea deal worked out by lawyers . Fine and probation .

Never lost my license . Because of shorter " enhancement periods " back then , each one was a first offense .

You spoke some truth earlier :

Fact is that I had no business on the hiway if my BAC was LESS than .010 .No accidents from being drunk . [ that by the grace of God , obviously ]

FWIW THe gov't or nobody [ including me ] spent a dime sobering me up .

And I have a CCL . grin

End of answers . No more questions . Have a good day .

Posterity sake.

Just saw this little jewel .For some reason it conjures up an image of someone who once was "someone " and had some measure of authority over some folks and is now forced to confront his impotence every time he turns around .

Anybody with half a brain would know I don't give a damn who reads anything I post on here or I wouldn't post it so this "posterity sake" comment makes no sense at all .

Here are a few more facts for all you stalwart defenders of truth and justice :

In 1985 - which happens to be the year I had my last drink of alcohol - Ed Shields was starting his second term as Young County Sheriff and the newspaper ran a story that revealed that Young County had three times the DWI conviction total of Wichita County which had ten times the population .That is newsworthy .

All his deputies , the Hiway Patrolmen , County Atty ,County Judge - ALL the courthouse crowd knew Ed was a drunk .Then Ed left a private club in a neighboring town at 2 am one weeknight , crossed over the center line and hit another car head on .Killed Ed , Left one in the other car paralyzed for life and the other occupant was seriously injured .

I've wondered at times if any of that bunch ever felt the slightest twinge of guilt for looking the other way where Ed was concerned . I doubt they ever did .

Anyhow LOUDMOUTH , my post paints a pretty un-flattering picture of who I was 25 years ago ; Yours reveals what you are like today .

You really ought to calm down .

No, your posts in order reveal what you wanted to instigate, and as posted elsewhere, if you'd said you WERE what you started off by painting yourself AS, and that you've moved on, you'd likely have gotten a far different response.

As stated, I'll stand by that.

If you were what you were, and have seen what it can/will do, you know where the reaction to drunk drivers comes from and why getting them the hell off the roads is a task that needs doing; daily.

If you are what you are now, then congratulations and thank you. As stated, that demon is not an easy one to beat; many never do.

So, figure me "loudmouth", or whatever, but perhaps you got exactly what you were looking for, and the reasons behind that are more clear than you think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

A lawyer only "knows" what his client tells him, and what the police say. He isn't a witness to anything, and really doesn't KNOW anything. What you're suggesting is that the lawyer should decide, based on what he sees in the evidence to determine guilt or innocence, then decide whether to represent his client zealously, or merely babysit him while the goverment does what it's going to do. You're saying that as long as the lawyer deems his client guilty, that however the evidence was obtained shouldn't be called in to question even if it's illegal, because the ultimate question has been answered, albeit through illegal means by the government. Surely you can see how a system like that would lead to police doing any and everything to get the "evidence of guilt" because as long as they have the evidence that proves the defendant guilty (and who makes this decision of guilt before all the evidence is heard), then what methods they used couldn't be questioned. Surely you see the potential end result of folks rights being completely trampled. Finally, what constitutes "absolute guilt" to the point that the lawyer would only babysit their client rather than represent them, who would make that decision, and at what point in the process?

War Damn Eagle!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Nemi...a criminal defense lawyer's client is guilty when a consent plea, jury,judge or appellate court indicate he is guilty,not before. In the meanwhile, the defendant need not prove a damn thing, the government has that burden. My job is to vigorously compel them to meet that burden and if they can not, he walks!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Bob,

A lawyer only "knows" what his client tells him, and what the police say. He isn't a witness to anything, and really doesn't KNOW anything. What you're suggesting is that the lawyer should decide, based on what he sees in the evidence to determine guilt or innocence, then decide whether to represent his client zealously, or merely babysit him while the goverment does what it's going to do.

You're saying that as long as the lawyer deems his client guilty, that however the evidence was obtained shouldn't be called in to question even if it's illegal, because the ultimate question has been answered, albeit through illegal means by the government.

NO, I'm saying "but I believe that regardless of their client's guilt or innocence, lawyers should do everything they can to ensure that their Constitutionally guaranteed rights are protected and that he/she recieves a fair trial"

Surely you can see how a system like that would lead to police doing any and everything to get the "evidence of guilt" because as long as they have the evidence that proves the defendant guilty (and who makes this decision of guilt before all the evidence is heard), then what methods they used couldn't be questioned. Surely you see the potential end result of folks rights being completely trampled. Finally, what constitutes "absolute guilt" to the point that the lawyer would only babysit their client rather than represent them, who would make that decision, and at what point in the process?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Exactly. It's the fair trial part that harbors the technicalities.

Procedural safeguards and requirements are there to do as much as possible to insure a fair trial, and if one or more of those is not satisfied, thus the technicality, then the defendant walks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly. It's the fair trial part that harbors the technicalities.

Procedural safeguards and requirements are there to do as much as possible to insure a fair trial, and if one or more of those is not satisfied, thus the technicality, then the defendant walks.

Those that want a "fair trial" for "the guilty" really mean a mock trial followed by immediate execution. If they'd look up the word "trial", they'd see that even the non-legal definitions mean "to test or evaluate".

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look , I ain't interested in prolonging this little "drama" .

Now you are suggesting that I MAY HAVE - underscore "may" - Have manipulated everybody on this thread into posting their replies and then pulled out a kicker to make some look foolish or to score some sort of " points " or some such .

I think if an appelate court had this thread as a "trial transcript" , THey would find that your conclusion is not supported by the facts . grin

When I made my original post on this thread I styled myself as knowing something about this DWI/Legal deal .Dink more or less called my hand on that by asking how many etc,etc.

You- being a lawyer - know that the "truth" sorta has a ring to it and Dink's question struck me as being honest and I gave him an honest answer .I had no way of knowing you were gonna jump into the discussion .

You have to admit that you COULD have posted something like this : " You still drinking ?"

Once I posted my answer you would still have the option of calling me names and such if you were so inclined .

In the interest of getting the thread back on track ,I'm willing for this to be my last post on it .I do want to thank those who have made some nice comments to me but I want to make it clear that :

1 . By gettin' sober I didn't accomplish anything a drowning man wouldn't accomplish by grabbing a rope thrown to him . He wouldn't be a "hero" and I ain't either .

2.In my particular case , it was no big deal to post my arrest record [ actually there were six more jailings that I didn't post 'cause Dink only asked about DWI ].For one of you , it would be a big deal and - like a lot of "big deals" would serve no useful purpose .

See ,the first time somebody raised hell with me on this forum years ago , I did a little experiment : I lifted up the moniter and put the bathroom scales under it .

I wrote down the weight of it with his words on the screen and then without his words on the screen and discovered the weight didn't change .

I ain't been very concerned about anything posted by me or anyone else since then . grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Fair enough.

Gave you credit, where credit was due.

And, called spades as seen.

Take it, leave, or just don't give a [bleep]. Your call, and I'll live with the ones I made and make.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
See ,the first time somebody raised hell with me on this forum years ago , I did a little experiment : I lifted up the moniter and put the bathroom scales under it .
===========

You did that sober?? grin

William Arthur Ward

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,103
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.