Hop To
#43206 02/21/01
R
rock42 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
How does the quality of savage rifles compare to the quality of other brands of rifles. I'm thinking of getting one of their weather warrior rifles in 7 stw.<P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
For the price you CAN NOT beat a Savage !<BR>They shoot well out of the box . They are priced good , and are not an "ugly rifle" like some may say . "ok maybe the ones with the detachable mags are kinda ugly , but ...."<P>I got my Savage modle 10 FP for X-mass , toped it with a weaver grand slam 6-20x40 , and went out last weekend . It took me about 4 or 5 shots to get it set in , and I could hit a 1.5 inch target at 200 yards (with 25-30 MPH cross winds) "about 10 below with wind chill"<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P>[QUOTE]Originally posted by rock42:<BR>[B]How does the quality of savage rifles compare to the quality of other brands of rifles. I'm thinking of getting one of their weather warrior rifles in 7 stw.<P>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Agree!! I have Sako's, Rem, Win, Weatherby's, Ruger, Anschutz and a host of others. More often than not when I decided to go to some shooting I grab the model 10 .308. In my mind the best out of the box buy on the market. <p>[This message has been edited by jfp1942 (edited February 20, 2001).]

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Treeratkiller - How do you like your Weaver? Been thinking of getting one for my Savage model 10. Rock42 - I grew up in western PA, (NewCastle) left in 1960 and haven't missed a day of it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Savage makes a fine rifle,as others have stated.The diffrence in Savage vs. the others is Savage usally has a rougher trigger and action and the stocks are not as good.However Savage rifles are usally as accurate as the others.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Amen to all of the above! Not only that but you can now get a Timney replacement trigger for them and get rid of that mousetrap that Savage calls a Trigger! My 7mm-08, after I 'glass bedded it in a Synthetic stock, regularly shoots .6" at 100 Yds. with the old trigger! If you read 'Gun Report' or any of the trade mags they all say the same thing ...the best buy for the money<P>------------------<BR> ....oaklane

....oaklane (Mike)

"Take any advice you receive(mine included), weigh with a grain of salt(10lbs) and some common sense and you'll be fine"
P
P
For the price they can't be beat. Although it is true that the synthetic stocks are kind of flimsy, and the stock triggers do need adjustment (but almost all factory triggers do nowadays), Savages can really group the lead. And if your a leftie, the no additional charge is one heck of a plus.<P>------------------<BR>"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco, GBU

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco, GBU
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate Savage rifles.<BR>Ugly dang things have only one redeeming quality..they shoot!<BR>I hate the clumsy actions,the stocks made to fit troglodytes,the creepy gritty triggers,the goofy barrel lock nut.Hell they look like a plumbing experiment gone bad!<BR>But dangit they put a real button rifled barrel on 'em and set the headspace at near zero(Ugly locknut has a purpose!)so they have no choice but to shoot.<BR>If you are looking for bang for the buck they are a hundred times the rifle the Charter/Raptor is.Also look into the Tikka's if you can find one.Best out of the box production rifle out there in my opinion,and they will run with the Savage in cost...if you can find one.This rifle disease is a pain ain't it?<BR>Good luck to ya!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Savage rifles? They aren't much to look at but they shoot well and are inexpensive to buy. As long as you don't mind the looks,,,,, good buy. <P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
jfp- I really like my weaver ! VARY clear , and looks nice . I got the 6-20x40 w/ varminter reticle , and it seems great !<P>The varminter reticle are the best !<BR>It is a fine duplex with a 0.65 MOA dot at 6x , and a 0.195 MOA at x20 . Really makesit EZ to put it ware you want it !<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfp1942:<BR><B>Treeratkiller - How do you like your Weaver? Been thinking of getting one for my Savage model 10. Rock42 - I grew up in western PA, (NewCastle) left in 1960 and haven't missed a day of it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
For a bit more you could get a sharpShooter trigger , and a Choate ultimate varmint stock , and you would have a Savage modle<BR> 12VSS "hold the SS" . Witch BTW would cost you around $700.00 or more normaly !<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2"><B>I hate the clumsy actions,the stocks made to fit troglodytes,the creepy gritty triggers,the goofy barrel lock nut.Hell they look like a plumbing experiment gone bad!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

M
M
I purchased a left hand Savage 110 in 338 caliber while I was waiting on my Model 70 Winchester left hand to be delivered.<BR> The Savage would shoot less than 1" groups with handloads and I finally found one that if I would do my part would shoot around a 1/2 inch which I thought as medium would not be capable.<BR> I had to have the trigger worked on and believe me that rifle kicks like a mule! It seems to recoil twice as much as my model 70 does.<BR> I have not done a lot of work with the Winchester yet, but the best groups I can get from it and just a little less than 2 inches.<BR> The Savage will shoot but does not have the looks and finish of the Winchester. I will have to replace the stock on the Savage to get the recoil down but the gum shoots so good I have been hesitant to change the stock as I carry the gun more than I shoot it now that is is sighted in.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
treeratkiller-Found a Grand Slam6-20x40,Matte, Varminter for $350.00, good deal?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfp1942:<BR><B>treeratkiller-Found a Grand Slam6-20x40,Matte, Varminter for $350.00, good deal?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not bad ! I think mine ran around $330-$340 .<BR>Good scopes for the cash "some say brighter than leupold" , but I never owned or even looked at a leupold so I don't know .<P>BTW- what kind of gun you putting it on ?<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P>

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a Savage 116FSAK weather warrior in 300 RUM. I put a 4-16 Burris Signature scope on it. When I went to the range I had the POI where I wanted it after four shots and then I put the next four in 3/4" at 100 yds. I couldn't believe it. Factory ammo no less. I think it is a fine looking rifle too, with its 26" fluted stainless barrel. The trigger was good too. It felt a lot like my Knight DISC rifle's trigger. Recoil was a lot less than I expected. Pretty good deal for a MSRP of $558. Bill.338.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Planned on putting it on the Savage Model 10, .308 but also have a ruger 1B in 25.06 that needs a new scope, not sure, it may even end up on my Rem 700 heavy barrel 22-250. Have leupolds on most of my rifles and they are a super scope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (19rabbit52, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,322
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.