OP Offline
M
ntx

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
one that you use tactfully, seriously "tactical" this "tactical" that, it is the buzz word of the year. Tact is something you do not something that is made.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Tactical Rifle is one that is of high precision,of utmost reliability,and the utmost in rugged. It is a Varmint Rifle,on steroids. I agree it is the catchword,as of late,but there is such a beast.......

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A tactical rifle is in older terms, a sniper rifle, but with some modern refinements and additions. Like a bipod.<P>In real life they are used by SWAT team "shooters", snipers, the secret service, the FBI, etc., some specialized military types, and a whole football stadium full of wannabes.<P>And if I ever need one, I hope the guy shooting it is half as good as his rifle. <P>Good shooting.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think "tactical rifle" is a fuzzy phrase that it in vogue and commercially hot right now. (What then is a "strategic rifle"?) "Tactical rifles" seems to describe black bolt actions rifles intended to be used by SWAT teams, snipers or those who just want the neat military and police toys. Just my .03 (everything is 50% higher in California. curmudgeon

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A tactical rifle is jus an accurate rifle with a matt/dark finish. I recently picked up a Rem. 700 LTR-put a Leupold 4.5x14 50MM on it. Got .5 for 5 at 100 yds. with it today. 168 sierra,R15,and CCI LR primers.[Big Stick WAS RIGHT ON R15!] 20" barrel, this gun handles, points GREAT! Don't know if this bullet will open on jackrabbits... will find out.This is becoming my favorite rifle.... good shootin,vbshootinrange.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
tactical rifle? a tactic is a strategy used to achieve an end. It can be military, or maybe chess or even a marketing ploy to add cost to a rifle. In this case I suspect it is a combination of the 1st and third. Sniper would be closer than tactical which would necessitate maneuverabilty and a 10lb rifle just don't fit that category.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Short243 The new marine sniper rifle (M40A3) that is to come out in June will weigh 18lbs. When I hear tactical I think of a weapon designed for a specific task or niche. In the case of the Mcmillan tactical stock, they typically are somewhat flat on the forend to prevent rolling when laid on a rest. They are wide enough to allow for a heavy contour barrel. The grip is usually more vertical than a hunting rifle so it is more comfortably shot from prone or sitting. They are designed for shooting first. Same with the action and barrel. Accuracy is the first criteria. As far as over the counter "tactical rifles", I wouldn't doubt there is a little marketing strategy mixed in there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A tactical rifle is what either the anti-gunners say it is, or the gun manufactories say it is. An accurate firearm? Benchrest shooters have one. Are they tactical rifles? black finish? Plenty of firearms have black finishes, so are they tactical rifles?<BR>Bipod? I put a bipod on my 270, was it a tactical rifle?<BR>A tactical rifle is just a word to describe what we have always had for years, even before the anti-gunners decided to use it. Any accurate rifle can be used as a tactical rifle. If it says Tactical on it, then they either want you to buy it, or ban it. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rusty Didn't say it was the only criteria, just the first cull.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 8 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.