Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It's suppoesd to retail for less than $400. Chambered in .30-06 and .270. Any thoughts?

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bighunter,<BR>i have heard of the 710, and even took a look at it on Remingtons website, it doesnt look like that bad of a rifle. im even thinking about looking more into it. <BR>YoungHunter

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So am I. That's why I asked. Not intended to be rude if you take it as such. Main reason I am looking is because of the retail and the .30-06. I'm a 15 year old who makes money in the summer doing odd jobs. And I would like a .338-06. I figure if it works, getting the gun is a start. How old (or young) are you? Curiousity killed the cat, but it hasn't killed me-yet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bighunter,<BR>im 15 , 16 in two weeks. i was looking at it for the pricing reason also but im torn between the '06 and the .270. i also work in the summer but i will have my drivers license in about two months and i have to get a car, so i dont know if i will save enough money for a car and a rifle, maybe ill have to wait till next year to get one.<BR>sorry i babbled on, <BR>YoungHunter <BR>

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
please do not get the remington model 710. it has an action that is next to impossible to work. everything about it feels cheap. <P>I'm not some kind of rifle snob or anything, I just wanted to warn you that the quality is not up to standard. if you are still thinking of buying one just do yourself a favor and make sure you handle one before you buy.<P>you would be much much better served with a ruger or a savage. and you can get those relatively cheap too. about 400 for the savage and 420 for the ruger.<BR><P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Young Hunter, buy a rifle you will be happy with and grow with. The 710 in my opinion is an afterthought to put $$$ back into the stock holders pockets and NOT to make joe average happy (you get what you pay for). You cannot change barrels IF you want something different or burn out the factory barrel. If it doesn't shoot, you are stuck with it, not much can be tweaked on it. Resale value is about 50% right out of the gate if you decide you don't like it (that is why they are cheap). Last and the worst of all, they put a Bushnelle Sharpshooter scope on it. This is the VERY, VERY bottom of the barrel as far as scopes go. Had 3, all went to heck the first hour of shooting on .22's. I don't mean fogged up or wouldn't hold point of aim (although that happened as well), but COMPLETELY fell apart internally. I sent them to Bushnelle to fix TWICE with their "lifetime warranty". They fixed them and charged me for all three scopes. Within ten minutes of getting them on the same Ruger 10-22 rifles, they fell apart internally again for the THIRD time each! I gave them to the neighbor kids to play with. If that is the scope of choice for Remingtons new brain storm, count me out! Save another $50 and get a Remington ADL. It is 100 times the rifle the 710 is, can be rebarreled, has no plastic parts (other than the stock) and is a proven performer. Flinch.

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with Flinch.I would avoid it like the plaque.You can get a Savage rifle for about the same price.Or for a few dollars more you can get a Remington adl or a Ruger.As was said above the barrels can not be changed out and the whole gun is made of cheap parts.If in the future you wanted to tweak the 710,there is very little that can be done to it.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Avoid the 710 like a rabid pit bull with AIDS!<BR>They are truly a P.O.S.<BR>Reports are they have been recalled back to the manufacturer to solve the "sticky bolt" problem. (that's like curing acne on a terminal cancer patient!)<BR>It's hard to fathom why someone would even consider this P.O.S. when for the same $400 they can buy a SIG SHR970. The definite gun value of the year, possibly EVER!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey you two!<BR>Good to have a couple of youngin's around to corrupt!<BR>I am going to guess that your dad or Gramp's has a rifle or shotgun that is old and beat up,and they have had it forever.<BR>They wont part with the thing to get a new wonderblaster simply cuz the old one has too many memories in it,and it has never failed to work when needed.<BR>That's where you two are now.<BR>Sure the 710 is cheap,now.<BR>How about in 10 years? Will you have to buy a replacement?How well will the thing hold up to constant use?Will it let you down at the final moment,when a trophy of a lifetime is under the crosshair?<BR>How much do you think you would be willing to pay,to get that shot back,should it happen?<BR>That's why folks have such strong feelings towards M70's,700's,Savages,Tikka's and Sako's.<BR>Seriously look into a Used M70,700,or Savage in 30-06.If either one of you are interested I have a rebarreled M98(FN Commercial)in 30-06 on the rack in my store for $325.00.<BR>It has a timney trigger,synthetic B&C stock,and has scope bases and rings on it.<BR>It shoots around MOA,but needs proper bedding and should improve afterwards.<BR>Blue is about 90%.<BR>I will need to deal with your parent,and your local dealer if you want it.<BR>There are other rifles out there similar to this one,that will do ya proud,and without the worries and embarassment of carrying around the "Yugo" of rifles.<BR>If a thing only lasts you 5 years divide the original price by 5.If it lasts you 20 years divide the price by 20.That way you can come up with "Cost per hunting season" on a rifle.<BR>In the end good stuff is cheaper,and dosn't cost you heartache.<BR>Good luck to you two!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks everybody i was wondering about how this rifle would hold up over time, the only reason i was looking at it was the price, but i see your point about saving a little more money and buying a higher quality rifle. thanks for settin me straight. <BR>YoungHunter

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello, E4E. I'm Big Hunters Dad. That boy has access to both my 77 Rugers(30-06,7mm mag), 2 16ga, 2 12ga, 3 .22LRs, and a .22mag. In addition, he owns a Rem 700 in 7x57, a 20ga Mossberg, a 781 Marlin .22LR, and a .50 cal flintlock. He needs a gun like he needs a hole in his head. The problem is I created a monster when I started him into shooting. He sees gun, he wants gun. What's a father to do? I keep telling him to save his money till he can get something he really wants, and can use anywhere he wants. I thank you for your offer, but I want him to wait, save, and make up his own mind as to his future needs. Please don't think I'm angry. I've been laughing to myself since I read the replys you guys have given, and I am glad to know he'll have other mentors should anything happen to me. Young Hunter, if you need something right now, I'd think hard about that M98. If, like Big Hunter, you just want to buy for buyings sake, save your money up and get a good rifle. I myself love my 7mm mag, and have alot of confidence in it and my 06. The one problem I have is that boy teaching them bad habits, like missing!!!<BR>7mmbuster<BR>Trust in God and Fear Nothing

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I probably should have given it a bit more thought. Now that I think of it, a Remington for $400 does sound quite suspicious. I already have a few good guns, I just want a .338-06. <BR> As for my dad, at least this monster puts some meat on the table, not to say that he doesn't, but still. He's kinda glad, in all truthfulness. The first season he took me squirrel hunting, I didn't really see any bushytails, and I sure didn't get any. That scared him, but now my favorite season is deer season! lol<P>------------------<BR>Give an inch, and they'll take a mile.

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mmbuster&big hunter,<BR>Good to see a Father&son team.<BR>It seems our potential for corruption is reduced by an already present corrupting influence! [Linked Image]<BR>Kid,cut yer dad a Huss!He might be the one laughing next season!<BR>You two take care,and keep it alive!<BR>Pat<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw the Rem 710, and it is not for me. Too "everything", but it is cheap.<P>If cheap is what you want, then this is what you will get.<P>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am offended that Remington would build such a rifle and offer it to its customers. I would have hoped that such a thing would be beneath them. I am dissapointed. GB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The boy did get one more than me this year. He just seems to overlook the fact that he gets more because I'm in the brush, pushing them to him. For some reason he won't go where I tell him on a drive. Maybe I <BR>should invest in a map & commpass for him! Could it be he's playing dumb so HE gets the shooting?<BR>7mmbuster<BR>Trust in God and Fear Nothing

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I just said I put meat on the table. I didn't say anything about that. He does push them to me some, but I don't believe any of the deer I got was due to driving this year. He was about to drive off the crabapples when a doe came by. I shot it before he began. It would have come by even if he didn't.

B
B
I have not seen the 710 but my advice to you two guys is to buy a savage. I bought a savage package gun from walmart for $350-$400 in .243 for my fiance and this thing shoots great better than my 700 in 30-06. right out of the box it shot about 2 inches at 100 yards with factory ammo and no tweaking on the scope.<BR>Good luck -Bill in VA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just saw the new 710, and it's total JUNK! I've been weaning myself off Remington products for more than five years now (only 1 Model 700 action remaining and it's been extensively reworked. I don't even use Remington ammo anymore) and the 710 was a reminder to me of why I started doing so in the first place. Cheers:-)

There is a very fine line between idiotic and clever. Most internet posters have no idea where it is.
R
R
sorry guys, I have to give the rem 710 two thumbs down.<BR>saw one today.<BR>Bolt is stiff, and cheap. The rifle even smelled bad. Mounts were cheap. Stock was cheap. And the guy wanted $365.00 !!!!!!!! if that's all I had to spend, I'd browse the used rack for something good first!!!!! <BR>JUNK WHAT JUNK!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 673, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,426
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.