Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nobody appreciates smokers IMO more than an Alaskan does so I thought i'd post up some pics of one I built this weekend. Moon in the door was the wifes idea so I threw that on it for good measure. Inside measurements are 24" wide by 22" deep, will, hold 4 racks but I may put a few more in there to do more fish.

Stands 6 ft at the front and 5'9" at the back, has 2 vents on the back with metal outlet covers to help control the smoke. I used the burner from my turkey fryer and made some legs for it from some leftover square stock aluminum I had in the garage. Also installed a thermometer on the side to help keep an eye on inside temps. Old fashioned strap hinges, a handle and 2 hasps round out the hardware. I've always smoked using a Big Chief but now that I have something much bigger, any tips on using one this size would be great.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Where do ya hang the Sears' catalog?

Seriously, that looks nice!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks IB, I thought about putting a magazine holder on the door, butt.......... grin

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are going to burn propane inside your smoker????

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, that is the plan. I've got a friend that has one very similar to mine that he's been using for years with no issues. The flame is actually very minmal. You thinking it's going to burn down? lol

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking smoker. Personally, I think the turkey fryer burner might be a bit of an overkill, but I don't know for sure as I've never seen one done that way. It also depends on if your trying to do a cold smoke or more of a kippered style smoke. A buddy of mine did one similar in size and just used an electric hot plate with a frying pan to provide heat/smoke. It would take almost a couple days (depending) to smoke a batch of salmon.

I don't know if you thought about it but a temperature gauge in the door would come in handy.

I'm more partial to cold smoking but using the right ammount of heat works very well too. Nothing at all wrong with salmon smoking that way.

The one thing worth inquirng about is how tight is it put together? It's not super critical, people use old fridges to smoke with, but ventalation isn't bad either. It helps keep the heat down. I know you have the vents to adjust, just sayin'. Also, maybe an adjuatable vent at the bottom to get the air flowing. ? ? ?

A totally different alternative to use as a heat/smoke source is: Set the smoker on top of a hill or mound and then below it have a wood fire box that's piped up into the smoker using buried clay pipe. They work really well and it doesn't require constant attention.

An alternative to laying chunks of fish on the racks is to cut them in strips and use string tie them to the top rack. That's a great way to smoke fish for canning.

You were asking for ideas so I'm just throwing a few out there.

The smoker itself looks great and I'm sure that it will work just fine however you choose to use it.

Nice job! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just re-read the the part about your friend using propane. Skip my guesses on that.

Oops.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
She's fairly tight, I stood inside it and had the wife close the door and secure it with the hasps, there wasn't much light getting inside except from the edges of the door. I think I can live with that and with the vents I made on the back near the top should help control airflow.

I've tried to come up with some different ideas as far as hanging the salmon filets but a rack system seems to work the best. I got a quote on having some made from expanded metal and angle iron and it was almost as much as what it cost me to build the smoker. Looking for more ideas on that end.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smoking fish involves removing water... Adding water through burning propane makes no sense to me at all... And the water added is significant.

Having trouble-shot more than a few smokers working with propane heat I can without reservation say it is a mistake... Your friend may be working around the issue successfully, but it is not the best way to get the job done.

For cold smoking it is worse obviously. Electric hot plates are cheap, easy to install, controllable on one or more thermostats at a time, and maybe a tiny bit safer.

That amount of space could be used to smoke a HUGE quantity of fish, with dry heat. With propane you are likely close to maximum with the current shelving.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but I have spent a lot of time working on better smoked fish.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
feel sorry for the guy with the runs and not enough time to look down first , talk about a hot seat. bet ya that'll hurt.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art,

Interesting comments on propane. I've never seen it used.

AkMtnHtr,

Refridgerator racks, or if your in Anchorage inquire at the butcher's supply in Mountain View. They ain't cheap but they have all kinds of stuff and IIRC, they do have racks. They don't have to fit perfect. Run some 1" x 2"'s across the smoker to lay the racks on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If I could find a way to use an electric heat source that I could control and not have to spend 2-3 days smoking fish/meats then that would be a better option for me instead of propane but time is a factor.

I don't want my salmon to be like jerky, I prefer it a little moist. Your not raining on my parade, I asked for advice and you gave it, now I just need a little more clarification.

fish head, I don't have a problem with the racks being wide enough, it's the depth of the racks is where i'm coming up short. I'll check around and see what I can find, should be something out there that will fit. Until then, i'm using 1" x 2"'s to lay the short racks on.

Steelhead

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a cold smoker, but I'll toss my experience in for you to mull over. Over the years the most challenging conditions I've had to learn to work with is heat and condensation. Too much moisture will destroy the pellicule that most prefer to build, prior to smoking. Too much moisture in the house has ruined a batch or two. If you are going to smoke only on days when temps are above freezing and low humidity then this issue is pretty much a non issue. In my house I prefer to let the smoke pass through in order to reduce the heat and moisture accumulation. I have the ability to really open up the house to allow the smoke through. The vents also allow me to keep the temp in the house, in the cold smoke range, usually less than 85-90F. Actually, I don't care what the temp is along as it isn't cooking the fish or melting the cheese.
Since your house will be a hot smoker I might suggest more adjustable venting and depending how the fish will be placed in the house maybe more racks. More racks will allow more product on a common heat range. If your product is too spread out vertically then you have to deal with a wide heat range(bottom over cooked etc.)
A couple of thoughts on smoke: A lot of people oversmoke, IMO. I think smoke is more for the nose than the tongue. The sense of smell is way more powerful than taste. Additionally, smoke is an incredibility powerful and complex substance. It is also carcengenic so I think it must be handled with care. All of the products I smoke have these thoughts in mind.
Smoking stuff is a hobby of mine and if I can help out just ask. Enjoy the process it is a lot of fun.
Pete

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What pak is saying is dead on about the smoke intenisty and ventalation. Using a hot plate, for example, it doesn't require that it's smoking the entire time. Smoke it at the start and then the drying process takes over. The one way I've found to really judge the brine and the smoke flavor is to take a small piece and microcrave it for 30 seconds to a minute to fully cook it then taste test. It will give you a real good idea on how the final product will turn out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add this. There is most definitely a science to smoking anything. But at a certain point it becomes an art. There are so many variables that it's difficult to define what always works best. Cold smoke, hot smoke, constant low intenisty smoke, lots of smoke, a llittle heat, more heat, cook it more than smoke it, add infinitem.

I've had smoked fish cooked in every concievable manner that's been everything from nasty to excellent. It all depends on.................................

That's half the fun in smoking fish. Figuring all out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a work buddy back in the day that took care of their own beef. His dad had a large walk-in cooler and they would let a 1200 calf hang in halves for 14 days. One year they decided to leave a pan of smoking hickory with the beef to add a little taste. My buddy said he never got so tired to smoked beef in his life. Hickory steaks, hickory roasts, hickory soup, and hickory burger.

That smoker looks a lot like Cheesy's from the Food, Cooking threads 3/02/10. Check it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That smoker looks very familiar. smile

A couple packer briskets and rack of ribs in mine, sunshine made the picture wash out.
[Linked Image]

I use the turkey fryer with a cast iron pan on top full of hickory or mesquite for smoking pork shoulders, chickens, briskets, bacon wrapped pheasant filets, ribs, etc. I try to keep 225 degrees at the meat level and with the regulator on the propane line that is very easy to do. If the wood starts burning rather than smoking the temp will go up, but its easy to adjust back down. I've done 16 hour cooks on one can of propane and didn't run out, never weighed to see how much it actually did use.

Over time the boards will dry out some and give you more ventilation (at least mine did), but I didn't find that to be an issue, I couldn't tell much difference in what was going on with the vents open or closed.

I have a 'mechanical' temp guage permanently installed in the side of unit, but rely more heavily on a digital unit with a wire that I dangle at rack height. Use two of the digital units, one for monitoring air temperature, one for monitoring meat temperature. I built a little shelf at about eye level that I rest the thermometer bodies on.

My brother in law smokes a lot of sausage in his, I think he is going for 150-160 degrees. For this he uses a single 110V hot plate and said he has no trouble maintaining those temperatures. For smoke wood chips go in a pan on the hot plate.

Neither one of us have ever cold smoked anything so can't elaborate on that. Don't let it get out that you've got that, the requests to 'cater' parties never seem to stop. People (and by people I mean my wife) don't realize the amount of work that goes into prepping to smoke 80 or 100 lbs of meat. One party I did got two 15lb briskets and 80 lbs worth of boston butt pork shoulders. I only used the two top racks for that. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smoker has a touch of class! I do cold smoke method for 7 days,a couple of years ago I started using brickquets for heat to ignite alder it works well. You may have to put some form of vent in the front as the heat will start at the low point of roof and trap at the high,wont be even heat for your product.

Also put some form of cover over your heat source so fish oil won't drip down and ignite. I also put freezer paper on the floor to catch oil,and in case a fish falls its clean,course I use strips on string.

Your heat source looks pretty close to your bottom rack,you may have to rotate your racks rather frequently.I don't let my heat get over 78 degrees for cold smoke.If Ma wants to kipper I leave fish in for two days.

I also put fish stips in the Micro-wave after a few days but i've found that the taste is not that of the final product.This is more of a finish cook in lieu of a smoke product.

Fair Winds And following Seas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
fish head
There are definite differences between cold smoking and kippering. Controling variables allows one to reliably produce quality product... Guessing has ruined tons of salmon.

A good pellicle and dry heat are right at the very top of my list of "Must Haves" when smoking.

Every Propane molecule burned produces three molecules of carbon dioxide and four moluecules of water. Twenty pounds of propane produces over thirty pounds of water vapor...
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
If I could find a way to use an electric heat source that I could control and not have to spend 2-3 days smoking fish/meats then that would be a better option for me instead of propane but time is a factor.

I don't want my salmon to be like jerky, I prefer it a little moist. Your not raining on my parade, I asked for advice and you gave it, now I just need a little more clarification.

fish head, I don't have a problem with the racks being wide enough, it's the depth of the racks is where i'm coming up short. I'll check around and see what I can find, should be something out there that will fit. Until then, i'm using 1" x 2"'s to lay the short racks on.

Wiring in a T-stat or two with a plug-in for hot plates is dead simple and I would be happy to give you a hand with that, either by drawing it up, or doing it in person if needed. It is simply a switch in the hot side of a plug. You should include a fan to move the air around, a lot.

Kippering fish should be far shorter than a day; in good weather 4 hours is plenty. There is no comparison between smoking meats while cooking at 225 and kippering fish which is ruined at 140F. I will put my kippered fish against any.

pak runs his smoke through a furnace filter and he makes the best cold smoked fish I have ever had, period. His comments about smoke are spot-on. I am not a fan of the typical cold-smoked, week-in-the-smokehouse fish... It is usually extremely acidic from smoke with lots of hotspots.
art

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222ND, 163bc, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.