Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p

Forget optical clarity... start with being mechanically sound.
Good glass and coatings are great, but something reliable is more so. I've seen benchrest classifieds where after the name of a scope are the words "proven" as to say it has been tried and holds zero and tracks. Most scopes they claim don't even hold zero. I've read very prominent shooters say that it is impossible for an internally adjustable reticle to hold zero. Guys glue the reticles in place and buy or make adjustable rings to zero their guns. Like the old Unertls.

I've had 3 of the Leupold BR models dump on me.One right in the middle of a match at Kelbys.In my day it was and still is,the Tucker conversion.
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Leupold failures? So common it is no secret at all. Most people that actually shoot rifles a lot as in benchrest will not be quiet on this subject of Leupold failures. It always comes down to the same old thing that Leupold refuses to address. Spring failure on the erector tube. That's why Cecil Tucker has been doing a spring up grade for years. I'm sure for anyone that has ever seen a Nightforce scope and wondered what that spring housing on the scope was for, now has and answer.

I was a long time advocate of Leupold since the early 70's. I no long recommend them to anybody. I had one conk out on me on a Yukon river hunt. I still have a goodly number of these Leupold scopes, they are slowly getting sold or traded off.

I don't want to hear anybodies BS about how clear they are. I don't care, if a scope lags after the adjustment or does not hold zero, you can put it where the sun don't shine. There is only one scope out there I have full faith in nowadays and that is Sightron. S&B is so highly priced I no longer recommend, great scope but when they exceed the price of the rifle, they leave most people out in the cold.

"Sightron IS THE ONLY SCOPE THAT HAS LICKED THE ERECTOR TUBE PROBLEM"

I could careless what your opinions are about the scopes on your closet Queens, Go to the range and try to square a target. If you have a Leupold that will square the target, you are past lucky.

The only Leupold you can trust are the modified Tucker scopes. This also screws your warranty.

JUST WAIT TILL YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE SCOPES FAIL ON YOU ON A HUNT OR AT A MATCH.

Then theres always Lowlight.

Originally Posted by Lowlight

So what do you tell the guy who traveled 1200 miles to take a class.. he paid $1500 for the class, plus rental car, hotels, meals, and by the first day it fails... now he goes from what he thought was a solid optics with a stellar reputation to being the guy holding up the class while we run up, get a new scope for him, usually I am pulling one of my NF off to switch it for him. If you want to play the one up and working, the NF I use is heavily used, my S&Bs too, and guess what, of all of them, with more combined rounds than I can count, and only one scope has ever gone back for repair. They well worn and definitely show signs of use.

yes, other brands fail, but not nearly with the frequency as we are seeing with Leupold. it's every week in some cases, and even in the military classes we have Nightforce on the unit rifles next to Leupold... but I don't see the NF failing nearly as much, it's stark the reality of it, especially when you see more than 1 or 2 a week.

It's easily 20 to 1 when you compare the Nightforces on the line with the military units, this last class had 4 Leupolds on the line, 1 failed the first day, the remainders where USO, NF, and S&B... Do we see others fail, sure but not nearly as much.

If you want to start a generic scope failure thread go ahead, but don't be surprised by the results. Facts are what the facts are, in a class of 15 Leupolds on the line I expect and account for anywhere from 2 to 5 scopes to go down, I don't figure that with the same number of NF on the line. Its closer to 1 per every six months of classes, not 1 for every six people.

I wouldn't call that Brand Hatred.
More like a statment of fact.
I personally dont care for 20 to 1 odds that im going to have a problem.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is it time to start posting nekked chicks yet?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Is it time to start posting nekked chicks yet?

FC

Yes.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have spent alot of time comparing optics. I work in medical optics...

I have owned all the major euro brands and.or tested them against "inferior" brands. one thing i have noticed is good mid-priced jap stuff can hang easily with euro stuff, where you might see differences is field of view or sharpness to the edge or color bias but none of these will usually prevent you from seeing one animal with the euro and not with the jap stuff. Same with rifle scopes, the euromight technically be built more rugged and it might not be but you cant tell from looking outside. ALl we can do is look through and they both work well....so other factors come into play...

With optics for me, its the sum of the whole package, not just the "brightness."

I like my swaorvski 7x42's because of eye relief, ergonomics, optics (brightness, sweet spot, flare control, eyecups, colors), depth of field, warranty and service, etc... I spend alot of time looking through binos and they have to "fit" me comfortably and be eays to look through for hours. These are for me. THere are some that are "brighter", some that have FL glass, some that are lighter, but for me its the sum of all parts.

Same with rifle scopes. I have owned and tested all of them.

I look for eye relief, lack of tunnel effect, reticle subtension and design, brightness ,flare control, etc..... range of adjustment isnt that important to me, and weight isnt overly important to me. I have settle on the conquest 3-9x40 wit h#4 reticle as being the best combination of all the above for me. It might not have an illuminated reticle or rainguard coatings but it works and is plenty bright enough for legal work.
I liek leupolds but I do not like the duplex and i prefer the bolder, blacker etched zeiss reticle but thats just me.

point is, buy what works for you and who cares what the magazines say

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/16/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that the VX3's have a new "twin bias spring erector system", does this mean the Leupold problem with the erector spring has gone away? Also, do the Mark 4's have the new twin springs?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike Rattigan states that no manufacturer out there makes scopes that reliably hold zero to within an eighth of a minute. Moreover, no manufacturer really cares. The benchrest community is not big enough to influence scope companies. Benchrest is a game where the top 20 targets can be a tenth of an inch apart in group size. The scope can easily account for being in the top ten or not.

The top twenty benchrest competitors in the United States are listed along with the equipment they use. 18 of them use Leupold scopes, and 2 use Sightrons. Leupolds are always shown with Tucker Conversions and Sightrons with reticles pinned with two nylon screws right through the sides of the scope. These guys are all gunsmiths and are all trying to build a better mousetrap. I believe them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudstud
Now that the VX3's have a new "twin bias spring erector system", does this mean the Leupold problem with the erector spring has gone away? Also, do the Mark 4's have the new twin springs?

Hopefully, but it's too early to tell.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes all scopes fail at some point, how many rounds that they fail at is the question. Funny thing about the older leupolds I have an old 2x7 friction. Its going after many thousands of rounds now on a spring air rifle!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Atta boy Dave. Never miss a chance to bash Leupold with some grossly distorted quotes taken out of context.
Your first post here about the so called discussion between Leupold's people is most telling.
The truth is that all scopes will fail under certain conditions. Whack one hard enough and it will shift zero. Spin the dials often enough and, sooner or later, all of them will skip or fail to track to some degree. Send enough rounds through a rifle with one on it and all of them fail to hold zero sooner or later.
That's why the military snipers are constantly checking the zero of their rifles. Sooner of later, they all quit working as they should. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Atta boy Dave. Never miss a chance to bash Leupold with some grossly distorted quotes taken out of context.
E

Thats Banta poo doo and you know it.
Leupolds made there bed, now they can lie in it.
You know E.You might try thanking me.
It it wasn't for guys like me pointing out just how far behind loopie is.
Your favorite scope might not even have multi coated glass in it yet.
Just sayen...

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sir Springer, it sounds like you have a simple case of 'buyers remorse'. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are scopes for $20 that look like scopes for $2000 and the way we tell the difference is brands.

With so much profit to be had by exploiting a brand name, is bound to happen.

I have had a Leupold Mark IV not respond to a counter clockwise adjustment to windage until a couple shots later.

I have never had VX1, VX2, VX3, vari-X-II, or vari-X-iii pull that kind of crap.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Sir Springer, it sounds like you have a simple case of 'buyers remorse'. laugh

LOL! laugh

Well, not too bad. Wasn't really knocking Leupolds, good scopes for sure. But then so are Bushnell Elites.

Mostly I just lost my head to marketing.

Oh, well. I'm sure that at least one or two, looking upon my rifles at the range or out in the woods, now probably think, "Hey, Leupold! This guy must be pretty serious about this!" That's worth at least somethin', eh! smile

Last edited by sir_springer; 08/17/10.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 844 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.