Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
is there any point any more? most people dont hand write most things, and those who do, most often print. is it really worth it to teach them how to do the same thing, just in a different way?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You ever signed your name?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course they should, proper cursive as taught in the 19th century. You know, the kind you can actually read!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Imagine your kid's future employer.
Handing him / her this cryptic message.
Written on a legal pad, in ink.

they'll be happy they practiced this dying art form!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Huge waste of time for the most part. When they need it, they can pick it up in no time at all. Spending large amounts of time on it before then is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cursive is one of the little bits of knowledge that is eroding away. You cannot just pick it up in no time, it is a skill, and as such, requires practice.

Might as well stop teaching basic math, since everyone has a calculator, right?

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't see them as the same thing at all. To me, cursive writing is something "pretty" as opposed to manuscript, which is utilitarian. As for math, I am very much in favor of the basic facts, as well as the basic operations, being learned. Where I break with tradition is in that I believe that a reasonably intelligent person can pick up everything that heads are beaten against walls over for six or seven years in about a month when the person reaches an age and maturity level where he wants to learn it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why bother learning to read, what with TV and books on CD-ROM?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, reading is absolutely essential to further learning. Cursive writing is not.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Why bother learning to read, what with TV and books on CD-ROM?

Exactly!
Or count for that matter
The cash register at McD's does that for you!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
is there any point any more? most people dont hand write most things, and those who do, most often print. is it really worth it to teach them how to do the same thing, just in a different way?

Yes, they should plus math, reading, history, spelling, and English as a first language. All students should have a grasp of the basics before they graduate to the next grade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to school for 20 years. The primary skill that I learned was to sit in a room full of people and formulate written answers to a set of questions without any collaboration with anyone else or any access to research or source material. I got very good at it, but the skill had no useful application in the real world.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My comic answer was going to be, "Only if they're not going to be doctors." grin

I still think it's important, although I am a self-proclaimed Luddite in many areas. Maybe it's best not to listen to me. whistle

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, they should be taught cursive and are in the school where my wife works. It's a shame that kids today and going back probably sixty or so years, don't have the beautiful cursive writing and penmanship that my Grandfather's generation had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, children should be taught cursive. It is lazy people who prints everything! VAnimrod is right about signing checks and other important documents. And another reason is if you have any hopes of your kids ever going to medical school they will need to know how to scribble properly!

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My issue isn't with the cursive writing instruction, but with teaching Spanish in 1st grade in a midwestern town with no spanish population base.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sassy
It is lazy people who prints everything!

Or engineers. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I went to school for 20 years. The primary skill that I learned was to sit in a room full of people and formulate written answers to a set of questions without any collaboration with anyone else or any access to research or source material. I got very good at it, but the skill had no useful application in the real world.

Oh my. You developed your brain and your ability to reason and organize your thoughts and arguments. You learned the most effective way to express those things. How can that not have a useful application in the real world? The subject matter itself is of secondary importance to what you really learned how to do.

Here at my university we don't have a "pre-law" major per se, but tell students to major in what interests them, as the most important thing is for them to learn how to think, reason, and be articulate in what they produce. Writing well is also of the upmost importance. The specific law subject matter can be acquired in law school, where it is assumed that students at that point can already think clearly, reason, and articulate.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
True. It's a shame that it's passing into history, but it's easier to print in the rare cases you need to write a note these days. Nobody writes papers, books, letters, etc., anymore. You type those on a keyboard, or text them on a cell phone. I've forgotten how to write some letters of the alphabet in script, it's been so long.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 13,606 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,122
Posts18,542,242
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.