-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know if you hear this south of the 49th, but up here it's quite common for people to say or write "an" history instead of "a" history, as in "an history of WWII" or whatever. Whenever something crossed my desk with "an history" the "an" was always edited out. The only way I would allow it is if somebody was quoting a person with a heavy Cockney accent who didn't pronounce the his or her "H's." In which case, the quote would be "... an 'istory of the Tower of London..." to indicate the H was silent in the person's speech.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MZ5
Yes I have, just as I notice every single time anyone either says or writes "manufacture" when they mean "manufacturer," or "meer" when they mean "mirror."

� and "oinj" for orange, "mfg" or "mfgr" for manufacturer or mfr, "I yern" for iron � and I think that I've already mentioned "Floyda" for Florida and "a-THOY-tees" for authorities.

I've even seen 'mfged" and "mfgd" for manufactured.

(If you feel the urge to puke, go right ahead.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Voere = (I don't have a clue! Former German company renamed after founders VOEtter and REstle in Austria. My guess VOH-ree.)

Neidner = NIGH-dner (spelled NEIdner in his ads and on his work)

Voere would probably be pronounced (rougly): fir'reh. The "oe" sound has no equivalent in English. Sometimes, though, the o and e are pronounced separately. To be certain, you'd have to ask a German or Austrian hunter.

Niedner looks to be a German name and would be pronounced need'ner. Perhaps he anglicized the pronunciation. Nighd'ner would be Neidner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2525
Voere = (I don't have a clue! Former German company renamed after founders VOEtter and REstle in Austria. My guess VOH-ree.)

Neidner = NIGH-dner (spelled NEIdner in his ads and on his work)

Voere would probably be pronounced (rougly): fir'reh. The "oe" sound has no equivalent in English. Sometimes, though, the o and e are pronounced separately. To be certain, you'd have to ask a German or Austrian hunter.

Niedner looks to be a German name and would be pronounced need'ner. Perhaps he anglicized the pronunciation. Nighd'ner would be Neidner.

I got it backward (knew better but remembered wrong).

Niedner (NEEDner) is correct � "Neidner" (NI-dner) is wrong.

"Good enough" isn't.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
How about Trijicon?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miguel Raton = Mickey Mouse

Mee gill Ra tone

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Some of my pet peeves [committed by broadcastng professionals!]

"Sosh' Security"

"Suhtistics" [for "statistics"]

"Prezobama" [the pronunciation AND the individual]

"Mama tried..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
also from TV professionals �

"Mute point" for moot point

"Melk" for milk

"Golf" for gulf

"Demure" for demur

"Centurion" for centenarian

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
also from TV professionals �

"Hone in on" for home in on

"Hard road to hoe" for hard row to hoe

"I could care less" for I couldn't care less

"Good enough" isn't.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A few years ago, during the Winter Olympics, a well-known female morning show anchor,[now network news anchor]described the luge competitors "hurling down" the luge course-- a priceless mental image! Still gives me a chuckle.

"Mama tried..."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If some of you are eagle-eyed prose stylists, you may have noticed that I still use the classic old-style "serial" comma, which modern stylists have outlawed (the comma before the and in a series of three or more).

Eliminating this comma often gives us such nonsense as this sentence from a major feature article in America's most successful magazine �

Major risk groups for AIDS are male homosexuals, intravenous users of drugs and Haitians.

" � intravenous users of drugs and Haitians." What a mental image that gem brings to mind!

I'd write it � or edit it � to read like this �

Major risk groups for AIDS are male homosexuals, intravenous users of drugs, and Haitians.

Last edited by Ken Howell; 08/20/10. Reason: correction

"Good enough" isn't.

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken, you are absolutely correct. I will join you in that fight to the bitter end. "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in rhe fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..." It is no more all right to leave out that comma than it is all right to use the bastard child named alright. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I throw the comma in always. While there, I noticed in Britain it's usually left out.

"Shirts are available in red, blue and white and green" can be "red, blue and white, and green" or "red, blue, and white and green."

I've not seen the new "rule" for commas written down, but I gather it's okay to leave it out when there is no ambiguity. In the other example, it looks to me the comma could be left out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2525
� I gather it's okay to leave it out when there is no ambiguity. �

� The writer already knows what he means, and thinks that he's saying it clearly, so he's the least qualified to see where an unintended misunderstanding may lurk.

� The reader doesn't already know what the writer means, so he must puzzle it out from only what he sees.

� The simpler and more straight-forward the "rule," the easier it is to communicate by the printed word (which is already more than most people can handle with any facility and accuracy). Exceptions clutter and complicate.

� Ambiguity is less often a problem than unintentional misstatement. (The latter abounds.)

"Good enough" isn't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All the Montanans on the forum and we haven't discussed crick vs. creek yet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken,

We tend to agree on matters of the written word. I learned the English language in grade school. No "rule" adopted since has helped my understanding of the written word, nor that of my audiences. I am a Controls Engineer by education and trade, which means I translate words from other Engineers and people into ones and zeros for the purpose of training machines to do our bidding quickly, accurately, and repetitiously. Doing so requires at least a working knowledge of several languages. Just don't ask me the reason for this post. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If some of you are eagle-eyed prose stylists, you may have noticed that I still use the classic old-style "serial" comma, which modern stylists have outlawed (the comma after the and in a series of three or more).

Ken-
In some writing and editing circles, that comma is called the "Chicago comma" because its use is recommended in the Chicago Manual of Style.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Commas/Commas_questions01.html

(Oopsie in your post: it should read "the comma after before the and . . .)

--Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BullShooter
If some of you are eagle-eyed prose stylists, you may have noticed that I still use the classic old-style "serial" comma, which modern stylists have outlawed (the comma after the and in a series of three or more).
(Oopsie in your post: it should read "the comma after before the and

Oh, so right you are!

Glad you noticed! Thanks!

(Corrected it.)

"Good enough" isn't.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I edit every document, protocol, proposal, and whatever else crosses my desk to include the comma before the "and," as you've described. It irritates me to see it omitted.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As a full fledged hick I own a heavy barreled L579 Say-Ko and two Man-licker Show-Nowers. I don't have a clue to proper pronunciation but I do take them up the "hollers" in WV to hunt. Also, my neighbor "fount" a hunting knife one day in the woods.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.