Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
bf-

He thought he had put enough distance on the downwind side from himself and the racket that I had made. He was wrong. wink

smile

I've had it work once that I know of. Used a rattle bag while bow hunting in mid-Oct. It worked in a big way, it brought in 3 of them at once. I was so shook, my lower bow limb hit my thigh when I shot...so you know the rest of the story. And yes, it hurt like a Beeeyoch!

Last edited by tzone; 08/10/10.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I never had a lot of luck rattling until one year while hunting elk, I was fortunate enough to have a couple of small mule deer start a sparing session right in front of me. While I watched, I saw two very nice bucks come to the edge of the clearing and watch, and then grandpa himself came in and broke up the match.

I learned right then that I had been over rattling. After the elk hunt I went out and practiced and had some create success calling the deer in. The only problem I have now is getting a chance to hunt when rattling is effective.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The reason most people see mostly smaller bucks come to the horns is that there are far more smaller bucks in any wild population. Plus, the bigger bucks are more cautious, not walking right out into the open.

Once I was guiding an eastern friend here in Montana. It was mid-November and the first morning I found a perfect rattling place, a frozen pond where the bucks would have to come in from the other side. We each sat down at the base of a tree to break up our outlines.

After about five minutes a really nice buck, in the 150 class, eased up behind a small tree on the other side. My friend was maybe 30 feet from me and didn't see him. I grunted at the buck from time to time, trying to draw him out, but all he'd do was move his head slightly.

After 20 minutes or so a young buck walked right out along the edge of the frozen pond and my friend shot him. The big buck of course disappeared in a heartbeat at the shot, and my friend never did see him. But I showed him the tracks.

I've also just watched with 10x binoculars while a friend rattled. I saw several nice bucks come in behind a screen of trees and brush that would have been easily missed with the naked eye.

I've rattled/grunted in bucks in maybe a dozen states and provinces from Alabama to Alberta. It doesn't require a 1/1 ratio of does to bucks or even 1/3, though there does have to be some competition between bucks.

Well said JB. I don't think a lot of people realize how many deer they get to respond to the horns that they never see.
It's not always like it appears on TV. smile

Tom-
The chootin' iron in that pict is a 300 wizzum.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember ever trying the rattling approach, although I did shoot a buck two seasons ago that was fighting about 150-200yds from where I was sitting. They were in a thicket and it sounded like they were thrashing the bushes with everything they had. Every now and then, you would hear the antlers hit together. The antlers were making relatively little noise and it took me a good 30 seconds to figure out what the racket was.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used real antlers with some success.

IME, less is more in terms of how long you rattle; but more is more in terms of getting after it and making noise while you rattle. You can't make more racket (of the right kind) than 2 bucks really fighting. Kick rocks, stomp your feet, thrash brush, and whack the horns like you're trying to break them when you start - but do it briefly and get still and peel your eyes and spot the buck sneaking in downwind. Always downwind.

See him before he sees you, then you can use the horns or grunt at him if you need to or if he moves out of sight. The big ones will usually sneak in.

Set up with your rifle in a position where you can get it into action with minimal movement, and expect to see deer. I think most deer that come in don't get seen.

If young bucks come in, sit tight and wait. Their presence is gold for older bucks showing themselves.

BE STILL AFTER YOU RATTLE! Bucks will know within a few feet of where you are, and that's where they'll be looking.

Get some open country downwind and force a deer to show himself before he can wind you.

I don't rattle if I'm not set up right. It just educates them and fouls things up.

Be patient and search for parts of a buck in cover. Ease your binos up and pick stuff apart before you give up and move. I've spooked bucks I didn't know were there when I stood up.

If you rattle in a doe, there's likely a buck trailing her.

If you know it's safe, showing an antler to a deer - raising it above brush and turning it like a buck looking around - can have some interesting results - but don't do it if Elmer Fudd is around and might shoot you. Another good reason to use the real thing - plus, I just like them better.

Mass and points on rattling antlers make them that much better, IMHO.

I've also had much better results when I'm above the deer - I always try to rattle where deer will have to come uphill if I can, although I've had it work all kinds of ways.

DJ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Almost parallel to coyote calling DJ...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buck, I've been in the woods many moons about 45 to be exact and this is one topic where you will get lots of different ideas.

There are so many variables to talk about...one primary that I have always followed is ..how much hunter pressure is in the area you hunt? Everyone nowdays is into rattling/ cover scents/drip bags and mock scrapes...just when you think you have the ideal spot you may be dead wrong...just because you see none of this at your favorite spot doesn't mean that this isn't going on down or up the trail 3-4 miles.
Bucks are creatures of habit and do get stupid during the rut but also learn very quickly!!! You will usually do much better in an area that's not frequently hunted.

I live in an area of medium pressure and we can still rattle in bucks but mostly youngsters...the big boys go nocturnal when the bow hunters start hanging their stands in mid Sept!! Here again it has to do with where you are and how you hunt...to sum it up for me rattling has such a narrow window that I don't count on it much...you'll be much better off spending time to watch and set up for that trophy to give you a shot !!! Regards .....FLEM

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've done it in Texas with alot of success during the prerut and rut. Here at home it just flat hasn't worked for me. I have rattled at several mature bucks on our land that simply went the other direction, not really spooked, just showed no interest at all. I feel we've had so much success with it in Texas simply due to the ratio. Much higher buck to doe ratio where we hunt in TX.

Last year I was sitting on the ground in the middle of a huge broad open field and rattled a 9pt into around 25yds. He wouldn't leave, just circled until he got a good sniff down wind and eased off. We also rattled a bruiser 130 class 7pt in on the same trip. Same deal, sitting in the middle of a field, sticking out like a sore thumb, and he ran across the field almost into bow range. I have seen it many times in Texas. It's the damnedest thing if you've never seen it before, they will flat run right to you.

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It has worked well for me in southern BC in late Nov. using real antlers, plus some panting, thumping the ground, raking bushes and a couple of times, a grunt to get the buck to take a step into position for a shot. After each series of sounds, put down the antlers and get rifle IN HAND. Most sneak in and some charge in.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've been rattlin' bucks and callin' varmints for more than forty years...I've not found any absolutes, but I have found some things that are consistent. The better quality bucks consistently come in downwind..not always, but most of the time. Coyotes much the same..bobcats not nearly so much. About 25 years ago, my son became the shooter [at least most of the time] When terrain, cover and wind permit, he will set up fifty or seventy five yards downwind of where I'm rattlin' He kills most of the bucks to one side of the other of his position as they make their way downwind and before they turn upwind [likely because if he dosen't see em'] and they really get downwind, we never see em' Still once in a while one will come charging in right on me whilst carrying a brand new can of whipass. I get to shoot those. Some days seem to be perfect days and nothing works.

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yup and real horn trumps artificial by a large margin....this guy was rattled in
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
A
I tried it once here in Florida. I had 3 does out about 150 yards. I rattled real horns and all I saw was white tails disappearing. They didn't even glance my way, just took off.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.