-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Apologies if I'm crossing a line - have not yet figured out the etiquette and what kind of questions are "pushy."

Is it possible to figure based on a topo map what kind of terrain is good elk country? How would a person start to educate themselves on where to look?

Looks like I'll be hunting OTC this year. I went with a colleague last year and helped him pack out his kill. Am solo hunting this year - have been doing a lot of backpacking and thirteeners this summer, and the plan is to backpack in up to 5 miles, camp, and see what I can do. Not terribly optomistic about my chances, but at worst, it'll be a nice week of camping/hiking.

I live up in Evergreen but am open to any areas. We hunted Routt National Forest last year - big elk population but opening day sounded like New Orleans on a Saturday night.

Last edited by John_Galt; 08/18/10.

Mas vale perdon que permision
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Absolutely. I've been hunting the same area for nearly 10 years and found two new honey holes recently by looking at maps. I used Google Earth to take a closer look and then hit them on foot. One of the spots is a meadow that sits on a bench and the other is the head of a drainage where multiple trails intersect. Pay attention to where the roads/trails are and focus on places that aren't easily accessible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sure you can and I do it all the time for new areas.

When I was a young man, I took a old man with limited vision elkhunting with me. Basicly all he could see at any distance was outlines of things, light and shadows of the meadows and valleys. About 10:30 on the morning when the sun was shining bright, he pointed to a distant meadow across the valley from us and said there would be elk in that meadow in the evening and then pointed out the canyon they would come out of. You guessed it, he was correct and I killed my largest bull to date.

I've thought about that a lot over the years. All he could see was a visual topo of the area and of course had many years of hunting elk experience. So it does work.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The one thing you can see from google earth sometimes is what type of vegetation... if you read enough too... soil types have something to do with location also....which you mostly can't tell from aerials.

What I'm saying... I've found deer and elk via topo, but not every "hotspot" you find, will have animals or the ability to hold animals... you could find a nice remote bench in a steep area, hard to get to etc.... and if you went in opening morning at 2am with GPS or however... never having seen it, you might be on a bench in the middle of a boulder field....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to reading exbiologist's article.

Mas vale perdon que permision
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do it all the time for predator hunting in our National Forest.
On my last elk trip I miscalculated(read in screwed up) and got altitude sickness real bad. Luckily I had pre-researched an alternate area at 9K and was able to keep hunting. Ended up finding a honey hole but ran out of time in the end and came home empty handed. I'd be headed back to it this year, but I missed out on my tag for Unit54. Right now I'm paper scouting for 55 and have the responsibility of finding a spot good enough to put my brother and his hunting buddy onto some bulls. All from over 1,000 miles away with no on ground scouting before hand. It can be done, but it requires much luck and a little help from guys on the forums (like this one) who live localy.

Bad decisions make good stories.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Good write up, thanks for the link.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome. I enjoy writing stuff like that on occasion.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Thanks for that article. I have hunting the wapiti for YEARS and never seen any! I found out that I was hunting too close to the roads, and most likely, not hunting hard enough. I'm going to study some Google earth too!

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 10Glocks, 16penny, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.