Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B29 because of its big bomb load and its pressurized fuselage.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kind of hard to compare bombers for such diverse roles. I've always loved the Mitchells, but the B-29 finished the war in Japan.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 08/21/10.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the B-29.
Range, payload, speed, altitude.
It was ahead of it's time.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd have to say the B-17 and the British Lancaster were the workhorses for the US and Britain. The B-29 was a definite improvement.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What specific role? I.E. high altitude carpet bombing, dive bombing, low-level, etc. Several countries produced outstanding bombers of different types during the war.
From america alone, the B-17, B-24, B29, B25, B-26, and the SBD "Dauntless" were all excellent designs.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have to go with Mosquito bomber as the best all around bomber and most innovative bomber of WWII. The Mosquito could do things other bombers could only dream of.

The best bomber for delivering a nuclear bomb would have to go to the B-29.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mosquito was indeed a remarkable design, fast, good looking, versatile, and easy to build.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Partial to the Mosquito too.
Fast (the wooden wonder), and versatile.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Interesting how load capabilities have changed:

B24 = 6 tons

B17 = 5 tons

F15 = 8 tons

Bruce

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Douglas A1 Skyraider, was developed in WW 2, but did not see active combat service as it was released late in the war...

It did however see a lot of service in Korea with the Navy, and was pulled out of mothballs and many saw service in Vietnam with both the Navy and the USAF...

Developed by 1944, the Skyraider started entering squadron service in 1945.. it could carry the same bomb load as a B 17, yet was a single engine one crew member 'dive bomber'

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the B-29 has to be the most advanced and innovative bomber of WW2, even if it had engine reliability issues that were never really ironed out. Its easy to see it as a link between old WW2 bombers like the B17 or the Lanc, and those of the future ie the B-52...

The B-29 main problem was that when it was being designed, jet engines were still very much in their infancy..

Last edited by Pete E; 08/22/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam

?????

When the Superfort was first flown into battle, the design was so new (it had been rushed ahead of schedule) the aircraft sometimes would spontaneously catch fire, even without the enemy being near.

Somewhere I have a pocketbook about B29's, published by Playboy Press called;

"Point of No Return."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Best" is indeed subjective. It would be hard to argue with the B-29 being the penultimate piston bomber (note that the B-36 had a set of jets too before you nigle!)

Aviation literally accelerated through three generations of design and capability from 39-45 so If I were to break "best" down I might do it by generation and large or medium and it would look like this.

39-41
Medium - B-25 - simple enough to build quickly, easily modified for the job t hand, good load and enough guns to defend itself.
Large - B-17 - Nordon bombsight and the only plane around that had enough armament and armor to get crews into fortress Europe and back in daylight (not that was such a good idea!) as we learned how to do strategic bombing.

41-43
Medium - B-26 - The numbers say it all. It was demanding to fly but had the best survivability rate of the war. Fast down low and able to do a variety of missions.
Large - B-24 - The next refinement of the large bomber. faster, better range and better bomb load than the previous generation. Radial engines vice liquid cooled made it more survivable.

43-45
Medium - Mosquito - fast, accurate and did a wide variety of missions from formation bombing to night fighter duty.
Large B-29 - Pressurized and long range, despite teething problems with engines and fuel it did a great job. I'm not sure how survivable it would have been in the ETO as it didn't seem to take damage as well as the previous generation and the numbers lost over Japan were surprising given the threat they faced late in the war.

Off to shoot a silhouette match. You folks play nice today.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
C
I just can't pick the B-29; unreliable, a maintenance pig of the 1st order, and not around when it really mattered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by nsaqam

?????

When the Superfort was first flown into battle, the design was so new (it had been rushed ahead of schedule) the aircraft sometimes would spontaneously catch fire, even without the enemy being near.

Somewhere I have a pocketbook about B29's, published by Playboy Press called;

"Point of No Return."

My grandpa used to tell me stories about the adventures he had flying the B29(I think he started flying them in late 43 or early 44?)
Anyway, they had a few engine fires in flight and other adventures of that sort!
Like I said earlier, I think he preferred flying the B-17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=derby_dude]I'd have to go with Mosquito bomber as the best all around bomber and most innovative bomber of WWII. The Mosquito could do things other bombers could only dream of.
[quote]

+1
How can you not love a wooden plane with a six pounder in the nose??

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lancaster, for load capacity. And those four Merlins.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll go with only the designs that saw action during the war and in these cases finished the war:

Small Attack/Bomber - F4U-4 Corsair (yes this was classified as a fighter during the war, but was a better attack aircraft than many that were purposely designed for bombing such as the SB2C Helldiver). The runner-up would be the P-47D Thunderbolt.

Medium - A-26 Invader (Renamed B-26 in 1947 after the B-26 Marauders were retired). These were still in action in Vietnam, just like the A-1 Skyraider.

Large - B-29 Superfortress (faster, heavier bomb load, and longer range than anything else flying).

Mark in GA

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Catus Lapus
I just can't pick the B-29; unreliable, a maintenance pig of the 1st order, and not around when it really mattered.

not around when it really mattered? Ask a Jap about that. laugh

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,171 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.