Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
;I have never had the slightest bit of problem killing any mule deer I wanted to in Wyoming, Colorado or any other western state I've hunted with a 4X Leupold,but I won't be climbing into any whitetail stands in Alberta with one.....

Blasphemy. Now why on earth makes you think you can't hit a BIGGER Alberta deer with a 4x scope wink LOL.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some do not live in areas where hunting pressure is very light to non-existent,and there is a world of difference between trying to hang a tag on a buck of choice in open alpine country with no pressure,and a mature whitetail buck that,by his nature and age,has gone completely nocturnal.

Bingo.

I've never hunted blacktails, but if you're not overly worried about BC blacktails getting away it can't be overly difficult(once you've hiked in) to kill one.

Little different than public land mule deer hunting where you're lucky to see a BC buck every few years let alone kill one.
That said I can't afford S&B's so I use Leupold scope and yes if I had the money I'd pay to get an extra few minutes of shooting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
;I have never had the slightest bit of problem killing any mule deer I wanted to in Wyoming, Colorado or any other western state I've hunted with a 4X Leupold,but I won't be climbing into any whitetail stands in Alberta with one.....

Blasphemy. Now why on earth makes you think you can't hit a BIGGER Alberta deer with a 4x scope wink LOL.

65: Well they aren't ALL bigger in Alberta..... smile The two largest bodied mule deer I have killed were one from Alberta, and another from Wyoming.

But it isn't the size of the deer so much as it's the conditions. Dusk and dawn peiods are "longer" up there in November;it stays gloomy longer in November.Plus even when they move into the open,the mule deer and whitetails blend with that brush behind them.They get difficult to see in low light at any distance,and help from the optics is welcome.....Scopes that I have personally used,and that worked well from an optics standpoint have been Swaro's and the 3.5-10 Leupold;which both did a really good job of resolving deer at distance under tough conditions.

I won't soon forget one big whitetail on the Battle River in Alberta that walked out at 200 yards against dark brush,at last light;my companion and I both had 10x40 SLC's,and I had a 2.5-8 Leupold on my rifle. I could have killed him, but we could NOT tell anything about his rack at all against that brushy background......we watched until he got a LONG ways out into the field,too far to shoot,and we could then see the rack against the snow.We knew right away that I screwed up not killing him when I could have......you just never know how things are going to shake out.

Those old 4X28 Leups I've used are really good at lots of things....light weight, rugged, stay zeroed through anything,mount easily.....but for low light field watching they are not really ideal.....hey I'm not dumping on them...gonna mount another soon.

Mathman that was about 6 years ago IIRC....

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/22/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll preface my statements by disclosing that I've used Leupolds for the overwhelming majority of my hunts,mostly fixed powers but with a fair number of their variables tossed in....they have never cost me an animal,including a few shot under pretty dim light conditions....

Do I have friends that have not been so lucky? Sure....a couple have been unable to see to shoot late in the day on pretty costly whitetail hunts in Central Canada.

Do I think a Leupold has optics equal to a S&B? No......this stuff is not complex. Buy or borrow both and look through them,go someplace with lots of deer and peek through both under all kinds of light conditions,mostly close to dark,and the difference becomes pretty apparent.

Where you live,and what you hunt in what kind of terrain can make you believe that a scope can't make a difference in a hunt, but seems to me that the guys who are drawn to the higher end optics are likely whitetail deer hunters who specialize at the game,are from states or regions where bucks are highly nocturnal,and their best (only) chance during a season of hard hunting may come only when light conditions are pretty bad to "terrible".They may not have the luxury of glassing up a buck, passingon it,and getting another later the same day.....much whitetail hunting is not like that....

Some do not live in areas where hunting pressure is very light to non-existent,and there is a world of difference between trying to hang a tag on a buck of choice in open alpine country with no pressure,and a mature whitetail buck that,by his nature and age,has gone completely nocturnal.

It has not happened to me (yet)but I do have one friend who moans and wails about a certain early season whitetail he could see with his binoculars but could not see to shoot with a Leupold 2.5-8.....this on a pretty expensive hunt way up in Northern Alberta.Whitetails being whitetails, he never saw that particular buck again on a 10 day hunt.....nor is he likely in lifes lottery to be afforded the opportunity at one that size again.And I well remember the time on stand when I thought the biggest mule deer bucks in the area were already in the field....until the last,and VERY biggest of them walked out at very last light.He was large enough that he dwarfed everything else there....

If you travel around to various parts of the continent and hunt in a variety of conditions,for different deer species,you might bump into a situation here and there where the right scope can make a difference;I have never had the slightest bit of problem killing any mule deer I wanted to in Wyoming, Colorado or any other western state I've hunted with a 4X Leupold,but I won't be climbing into any whitetail stands in Alberta with one.....

Excellant post as usual Bob.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mathman that was about 6 years ago IIRC....

Logic problem on my part, I should have asked the vintage of the scope. I could hunt this year with one of my old single coated ones. Duh... crazy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mathman, I think it was the previous generation of Leupold variables he was using, not the current VX.I get confused with all the different names smile

Dave, thanks!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Leupold is a excellent third tier scope

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those old 4X28 Leups I've used are really good at lots of things....light weight, rugged, stay zeroed through anything,mount easily.....but for low light field watching they are not really ideal.....

You probably just have a night vision problem, Bob.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Those old 4X28 Leups I've used are really good at lots of things....light weight, rugged, stay zeroed through anything,mount easily.....but for low light field watching they are not really ideal.....

Probable so, but a S&B can help tremendously

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you really want to see just how much difference different quality scopes make during low light conditions, I'd refer you to Barsness's testing.
What impressed me about it is how little a difference there is. And the fact that this tiny difference is only in the finest resolution detail at a set range. What really makes the difference is how much magnification you can use under those light conditions. A simple comparison between a 4x and a 6X will make this very clear assuming they both use the same exit pupil size. With a 6X, you can see about 50% further.
BTW, if you've lost part of your night vison, a "better" scope won't recover any of it. If it gets too dark, you'll simply see nothing through your scope. E

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well I have one of those,too..... grin

RD: My vision is not really bad...

.......but I am a sentimental slob and, even though I know there are better scopes out there for helping me see in low light,I can't completely reject the old scopes that I used on so many hunts.....Kinda like a tattered, old Eddie Bauer Skyliner that I used on many hunts,and is so worn out I can't wear it(too small,also! grin.................I just can't make myself throw it out smile

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well I have one of those,too..... grin

RD: My vision is not really bad...

.......but I am a sentimental slob and, even though I know there are better scopes out there for helping me see in low light,I can't completely reject the old scopes that I used on so many hunts.....Kinda like a tattered, old Eddie Bauer Skyliner that I used on many hunts,and is so worn out I can't wear it(too small,also! grin.................I just can't make myself throw it out smile

Leupold is probable the top third tier scope out there

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how a S&B can restore one's vision.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Funny how a S&B can restore one's vision.

Those Square Heads are sneaky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can get sentimental about a Ford 427 AC Cobra too even though the brakes suck. So I guess I can understand the love of the Leupold 4x28.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If you really want to see just how much difference different quality scopes make during low light conditions, I'd refer you to Barsness's testing.
What impressed me about it is how little a difference there is. And the fact that this tiny difference is only in the finest resolution detail at a set range. What really makes the difference is how much magnification you can use under those light conditions. A simple comparison between a 4x and a 6X will make this very clear assuming they both use the same exit pupil size. With a 6X, you can see about 50% further.
BTW, if you've lost part of your night vison, a "better" scope won't recover any of it. If it gets too dark, you'll simply see nothing through your scope. E

Originally Posted by Aicman
E, the 6x42 will indeed gather and direct to your eye much more light energy than the 4x28, since it has a larger objective and the right magnification for low light scope exit pupil/eye entrance pupil match. The more energy in low light the better for the eye�s receptors to be activated in a useful way. That is no doubt. What if there is enough energy for the eye to see something in low light but due to aberrations the objects edge is not sharp enough to be distinguishable from the background? It�s easier to detect a shape in low light conditions when the edge has a sharper shade transition with respect to the background rather than the case were the shade transition is smoothed out by aberrations. It�s easier to detect a shade difference transition when its abrupt compared to the case of a little brighter object with a brighter background and a less abrupt transition. It�s human nature. To make an analogy, if you need to attract someone�s visual attention with a faint light from a distance, you rather strobe it than illuminate in a constant fashion�That�s why resolution is very important in low light, and to that respect in any light, vision
When you claim than your 6x42 is better in low light than a VXIII with similar transmission, it�s not due to the 1% transmission difference but rather due to the probable higher resolution of the fixed scope lenses used�.even if they are not fully multicoated and index matched etc�
Take two similar scopes and make a resolution test at day time. The one with more resolution will most likely outperform the other in low light even if that �other� has a 2-5% percentage point more transmission, a little larger objective etc�Try it with 2 of your scopes and see for yourself and let us know of your findings...
Aic

Actually E.If you really want to see just how much difference different quality scopes make during low light conditions.I'd suggest you take a couple of examples of each out.
And have a look for yourself.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can get sentimental about a Ford 427 AC Cobra too even though the brakes suck. So I guess I can understand the love of the Leupold 4x28.

Your killen me smile

dave

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bob,

I read through your entire post, and see that Sitka Blacktail hunting is not really much different than Whitetail hunting. Seems the difference is that we have to do a good hike to get to an area where we can see something, and even a big hike doesn't guarantee seeing a thing. The rut is the rut though, and all bets on deer location are off. They could be standing out in the road when they are stupid. But isn't that the case for bucks all over the country during the rut?

One of the most common misconceptions about my area is low pressure. No such thing as low pressure when you live in an area what has the potential to kick out a world record and tags can be bought over the counter. Not to mention that some locals have taken to spotlighting in the alpine with high powered super duper flashlights. (the one spot we thought would be sacred) The only way we get to low pressure areas, is by doing incredibly physically demanding hunts. If you were going to compare a whitetail and a Sitka blacktail hunt of equal physical effort, you'd see waaaay more Whitetails than Sitkas. Our mature bucks are nocturnal, spooky and even the least pressured of bucks will blow out with minimal movement from 5-800 yards away. We have an hour before dark, and a few hours of first light, with some exceptions. (one exception being a big weather shift mid day) In the heavily pressured areas, the mature Sitka Blacktails never leave the cover, until the rut.

I went and checked out a bunch of Alberta whitetail guide web pages. Couldn't find a single site that said that shots would be in dark conditions, and that high dollar scopes were recommended. (I'm not discounting your buddies experience, just reporting what I saw) What I did see was lots of very big buck pictures, and statements like "100% chance at a trophy whitetail" and "50% of our whitetails are rattled in" and statements like that. Perhaps they are exaggerating to get bookings.. I don't know. You couldn't get a blacktail guide to make a claim like that though. Hell, you can't find a blacktail guide that could guarantee you a chance at even a 3x3 buck.. Or even a mature buck. You'd think if hunting was as "easy" as some make it out to be up here, they'd be guaranteeing "booners"?

Sorry your buddies missed out on animals. That sun goes down every day and those big animals know when it's safe to step out.

I'll preface my statements by disclosing that I've used Leupolds for the overwhelming majority of my hunts,mostly fixed powers but with a fair number of their variables tossed in....they have never cost me an animal,including a few shot under pretty dim light conditions....

Do I have friends that have not been so lucky? Sure....a couple have been unable to see to shoot late in the day on pretty costly whitetail hunts in Central Canada.

Do I think a Leupold has optics equal to a S&B? No......this stuff is not complex. Buy or borrow both and look through them,go someplace with lots of deer and peek through both under all kinds of light conditions,mostly close to dark,and the difference becomes pretty apparent.

Where you live,and what you hunt in what kind of terrain can make you believe that a scope can't make a difference in a hunt, but seems to me that the guys who are drawn to the higher end optics are likely whitetail deer hunters who specialize at the game,are from states or regions where bucks are highly nocturnal,and their best (only) chance during a season of hard hunting may come only when light conditions are pretty bad to "terrible".They may not have the luxury of glassing up a buck, passingon it,and getting another later the same day.....much whitetail hunting is not like that....

It has not happened to me (yet)but I do have one friend who moans and wails about a certain early season whitetail he could see with his binoculars but could not see to shoot with a Leupold 2.5-8.....this on a pretty expensive hunt way up in Northern Alberta.Whitetails being whitetails, he never saw that particular buck again on a 10 day hunt.....nor is he likely in lifes lottery to be afforded the opportunity at one that size again.And I well remember the time on stand when I thought the biggest mule deer bucks in the area were already in the field....until the last,and VERY biggest of them walked out at very last light.He was large enough that he dwarfed everything else there....

If you travel around to various parts of the continent and hunt in a variety of conditions,for different deer species,you might bump into a situation here and there where the right scope can make a difference;I have never had the slightest bit of problem killing any mule deer I wanted to in Wyoming, Colorado or any other western state I've hunted with a 4X Leupold,but I won't be climbing into any whitetail stands in Alberta with one.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you have perfect vision, a scope that only transmits 3/4's of what's available will suck as well.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,184
Posts18,523,803
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.