-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The primary reason for an article is to fill the slot for the month. We all know this. The reason the article ended up the way it did is for Jim to put another nail in O'Connors coffin.

The proprietor of Carlolina Rifles (forgot his name) posted that the 280 Remington has the wrong leade and indeed it's not the same as say the 06. Of course he as his special reamer for you!

The 270's that I have shot were just like similar cartridges. It's the rifle that matters most and not the specific cartridge.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmmm . . . . . .

I guess all those elk and deer shot with the 270 ain't even dead. Clearly, they were not hit at 200 yards and then fell over dead like Grampa claimed.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mtn Hunter,

Thought I replied yestrerday, must have gotton lost in cyber space or more then likely I did something wrong. My recollector doesn't work so well anymore but I'll try anyway.

My take on the article is "There is an axiom among benchrest shooters that the 270 is not accurate enough to be a benchrest candidate" Then a rifle is built to benchrest specs. and a test is devised. The test is pretty lame in my view, therefore the article should not have been published. I believe that another generally excepted axiom is that any given rifle can just not like any particular bullet. With only one benchrest type bullet available the test should have been performed with several rifles or at least several barrels too give it any validity at all.

In re the 280, on paper it is a fine all purpose round. Whether the author champions it because he really believes in it that strongly, or because he simply does it because he felt he needed one to champion because all the greats seem to have one, I don't know.

Who is right or wrong? Neither? I just love this, it is so true very often people, ideas, techniques, etc. are neither right nor wrong just different.

Snuffy

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have 9 in that caliber and not once thought that it was inaccurate even with the 90 gr sierra's . The one that shoots the best loves 150 gr Barnes X's go figure . He is just being a jerk***!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Guys:

I have 270's, a Model 70, and a Remington Sendero. Both are fine shooters.

As to Jim C: When he built the 260 Pussy, Kitty, or maybe it was the 260 Rem,LOL. I then had to build my own 6.5.

When I had the barrel stamped it read as follows: 6.5-06FJC.
You all can figure out what FJC Stands for, RIGHT? I feel the same way about most of his writings.

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know a cartridge is good when many others are compared to it. This is the case for the 270 Win. Whether you are a fan or not, it is undeniable that the 270 Winchester is a benckmark/landmark cartridge.

How many articles have we read that sets the 270 Win as the datum point and then compares the perfromance of the likes of 7-08 Rem, 264 Win Mag, 280 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55SE, 308 Win, etc.

This only proves the excellence of the 270 Win IMO.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

True! How very true!

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I read an article by I think Layne Simpson(sp) on the .270. Tested various factory and handloads through two guns. One was a garden variety hunting rifle(don't remember which), the other was a custom barrel he had built for his rail gun. That one raised some eyebrows, if I remember right, he had several one holer groups. Stated that it was as accurate as any other cartridge he had tried on the rail gun with similar power level "with hunting bullets". His take was that if match grade bullets were available in .277, no one would be talking about the .270 taking a backseat to any other cartridge in accuracy. The bullets we have today are much better than the standards at that time. Makes the old girl even better!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I remember that article. Since it was written Sierra came out with a 135 gr matcking. We tried them in two different rifles and cut group size in half. I have never seen a .270 that couldn't be made to shoot.

Lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Dakota model 10 that shoots factory Fed NBT's into less than one inch all day, lot of times half inch.
Don

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hubert,

Don't believe everything you read. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

I have a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 featherweight in that calibre coming ffrom the US at present. I don't need it, my gunsafe would not be lacking without it, but I just wanted one. All my hunting rifles shoot sub MOA and I do not expect the .270 Win fwt will be any exception. Sure there are no (or not many) match grade bullets in .277 but what does that matter. I have a pre 64 M70 fwt in .308 Win and it shoots under .5" at 100 yds with hunting bullets and I expect the 270 to do the same.

If you want a .270Win just get the one you want and build your loads for it and it will find one that will be a tack driver and you have your setup.

Magnum308

Only accurate rifles are interesting
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,427 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,469
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.