-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps Leupold's R&D inc. a 56 obj. on an 8x.

Hmmmmmm, 8x56, FX-3, now that might make alot more night hunters happy.

No doubt, If I had the purchasing power, I might own S&B, but not right now. They are very high quality optical instruments no doubt. As is the Zeiss 1.5-6x42 I looked thru, and I believe I also peered thru a Swaro at that same Shot show. The reticle choices are nice for hunters if one wants an Illuminated one.

That said, when one simply looks thru a 6x42 FX-3, for me, it left little room to want. No doubt if one is hunting alot at dusk or after, you can never get too much light transmission.

Success can be had in many ways, and perhaps there are concessions when budgets limit buying the ultimate elite scopes, but think about how much game was killed decades ago by the likes of Jack Oconnor, Elmer, Milek, etc. and with much lesser quality sighting devices. I can't knock someone for being happy with USA companies Leupold products, odds are they will do fine in most situations IMHO if they pick a good one with adequate exit pupil, magnification THEY need for their hunting, and a reticle that contrast well for their eye and type of hunting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin
In my case I look for the best tool for the job.In every condition.Regardless of price or what anyone else thinks.I use my own judgement and my own eyeballs.
Self Esteem was never on my mind.
Im my mind I could never understand why anyone would go to all the trouble of building a custom rifle.Where every single aspect of that rifle was gone over,checked,updated or replaced.And then put a factory built scope with red army parts in it.On top.

If Self Esteem were somehow envolved. What, Self Esteem is ok for the rifle build but not the scope?
Some more Lowlight for you.

Originally Posted by Lowlight
Originally Posted by cuffm4615
Purchased a leupold Vari x3 tactical 3-10x44 (todays's mark 4) back in in 1999 for $800.00 just traded it in recently for a $750.00 credit. Thats only a lost of $50.00 for a scope I enjoyed for 11yrs with outstanding results. So even the re-sale value is great on these. Leupold makes a great scope at a fair price and offer great CS. There is way too many fans of other scopes, on this site, quick to trash this company mainly because of its popularity.

This is not true, it's because unlike most we actually use our stuff and expect things to work as advertised. I've shot 3 cases of ammo in the last 30 days, how many rounds you have under your scope in the last month ?

We use scopes like NF, S&B, Hensoldt for a reason, because they work... seeing 2 to 5 Leupolds break per class forms an opinion all its own. It requires no extra help.

As the story been related, and I think fits the discussion, had an LE Officer come to a PR1&2 recently. Long time department sniper with tons of experience, loved his circa 1980's Mark 4. Well by day 3 it was apparent his Leupold had an issue never experienced before. Wouldn't hold zero... Officer clearly not understanding why this is happening. Well simple question, how long would it take you shoot the same number of rounds you have over the last 3 days. Answer: 9 Months to a year -- moral of the story, you can miss a lot when you don't use something to its full potential.

Education on what to look for is key, we promote educating yourself on what to expect, we advocate shooting more, admiring less, and checking your scope's tracking 100% of its intended travel... none of this single sheet of paper, gun writer fare. That is where the difference is, we find the problem others avoid but no understanding what they are looking at. Most just chalk it to other factors, we don't, we route out the source of the inconsistency.

The problems LL is seeing are odds im not willing to take.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
....... My point was/is that a guy can get by just fine on a $270 Leupold 6x42. (That's what I paid for my last FXIII.)

...... The only reason they jump into these high dollar scopes because they read the blather from the "Self Esteem Crowd" and think they NEED a scope like that.

The first sentence is completely true....I know more people who hunt/shoot/kill with Leupolds by far than any other scope........me, too.

JMHO but the second sentence causes acute pain..... I can't relegate anyone to a "self-esteem crowd",criticize them, simply because they can afford gear that I cannot,any more than I can look down on someone who cannot afford what others can.Nor can I regard suggestions about gear of any kind, which comes from those with experience in its' use,as "blather"(there will always be someone who can afford more than me,which does not(should not) open them to criticism).....spend any time on here, or among hunters from various walks of life and income levels,as you travel around a bit, and you soon discover lots of things work under most circumstances...

OTOH there is the opinion of an African pro I bumped into last winter....he looked at the S&B Summit on my rifle(the scope was more expensive than the rifle smile and said he sees a lot of Americans hung up on fancy rifles,messing with too many different calibers, etc,where they waste a lot of money,the fancy rifles wearing cheaper scopes.He said many Americans have it all ass-backwards......He likes it when they show up with a decent rifle,in a common chambering, wearing an expensive scope, cause he knows, more than likely,that the big kudu will need to be killed close to dark.....mmmmmm....food for thought?....Maybe? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
He said many Americans have it all ass-backwards......He likes it when they show up with a decent rifle,in a common chambering, wearing an expensive scope, cause he knows, more than likely,that the big kudu will need to be killed close to dark.....mmmmmm....food for thought?....Maybe? smile

+1

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I'm convinced the majority of hunters don't even purchase medium-priced scopes

Based on my observations over the years in various locales, I would tend to agree.

Guarantee there's folk's out there Calvin that would think you silly and fiscally irresponsible tossing out good money on a "highfalutin" Leupold scopes when Tasco, Simmons, or Bushnell scopes under $100 have been gettin' her done year after year. grin

It's all relative and subjective.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He likes it when they show up with a decent rifle,in a common chambering, wearing an expensive scope, cause he knows, more than likely,that the big kudu will need to be killed close to dark.....mmmmmm....food for thought?....Maybe?

With Summit sized scopes, do you think a VX-3, 4200, Viper, Conquest or the like wouldn't let you shoot the Kudu?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A very interesting observation by that PH, but I have taken a number of kudu and the only one shot anywhere near dark was killed with iron sights.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
He likes it when they show up with a decent rifle,in a common chambering, wearing an expensive scope, cause he knows, more than likely,that the big kudu will need to be killed close to dark.....mmmmmm....food for thought?....Maybe?

With Summit sized scopes, do you think a VX-3, 4200, Viper, Conquest or the like wouldn't let you shoot the Kudu?
the summit has hair thin crosshairs which WILL fade before the image does. the conquest with #4 WON'T....so i would rather have a conquest with a #4 or even the z-plex because they are both better in lowlight than the SUmmit's reticle selection.

S&B launched a great scope but with no illuminated or bolder style reticle to take advantage of great glass

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/23/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think the Self Esteem Crowd is actually a fitting name for a select group of posters who seem to have their entire self worth wrapped up in the fact they own a few expensive scopes. I'm sure their are plenty of S&B scope owners who don't sit at their computers day and night hitting refresh waiting for a thread to pop up where they can proclaim to the world they have 2 S&B scopes and how superior they are. (how's that for a run on sentence) As I said before, I have no problem with anybody who owns one. I want one. But, when start making up scenarios based on second hand info, with no evidence to support the claims, then it becomes Blather.

Plenty of evidence is out there that Leupold scopes get the job done in the field. Mountains of evidence.

No evidence is out there showing that a S&B has killed anything that a Leupold couldn't.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
...... The only reason they jump into these high dollar scopes because they read the blather from the "Self Esteem Crowd" and think they NEED a scope like that.

JMHO but the second sentence causes acute pain..... I can't relegate anyone to a "self-esteem crowd",criticize them, simply because they can afford gear that I cannot,any more than I can look down on someone who cannot afford what others can.Nor can I regard suggestions about gear of any kind, which comes from those with experience in its' use,as "blather"(there will always be someone who can afford more than me,which does not(should not) open them to criticism).....spend any time on here, or among hunters from various walks of life and income levels,as you travel around a bit, and you soon discover lots of things work under most circumstances...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No evidence is out there showing that a S&B has killed anything that a Leupold couldn't.

I beg to differ.

I'm no Leupold basher as I have and use them on a regular basis. However, I have found situations where they simply do NOT perform as well as a S&B Zenith.

Hunting feral hogs at night, the Leupold quite frankly doesn't perform at the level as the S&B. I have (as well as a couple friends) compared them side by side. The S&B optics allow you to resolve and clarify which end is which on a hog. The Leupold does not.

With the Leupold it's just a undefined dark blob at best.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most guys could get the job done with your run of the mill $650 Remington 700 that shoots 2" groups with factory ammo also. Again, everyone's circumstances (financially) are different and you shouldn't begrudge those that have the means to buy a nicer scope. I can assure you that in low light you can see the difference.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For like the 4th or 5th time.. I don't begrudge anybody who buys a nicer scope. I do call em out though when they start acting like the "nicer scope" is going to give the greater success in the field over a $270 scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do call em out though when they start acting like the "nicer scope" is going to give the greater success in the field over a $270 scope.

Depending on the application, they do indeed.

But I understand and follow the general gist you're making.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calvin, here's an observation from one man's POV...

Originally Posted by JonA

You should try avoiding the optics board for a while. You'll find after staying away for a bit, you actually get smarter. Brain cells long dead, killed by repetitive focusing lessons and false eyebox to resolution relationships, will begin regenerating and your IQ will begin to return to its prior level. Trust me, there are more enjoyable ways of killing brain cells than enduring the same old rants and raves over there for the millionth time.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
. . . start acting like the "nicer scope" is going to give the greater success in the field over a $270 scope.

That's where you and I will agree to disagree. Granted "greater success" is for the most part going to depend on ones ability in the field, general knowledge and skills he or she posses as a hunter. But in the unique circumstance of very low light the right scope can and will make a difference. It isn't hard as I can test em right out my back door and tell you which ones last longer in low light - in some cases you might get another 15 minutes with a better scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Gentlemen,
I recently bought two FX-III 6x42 Matte Wide Duplexes and had the Leupold Custom Shop put M1 elevation turrets on them. Mounted one on my Anschutz 1717D and one on a GA Precision Sporter in 7mm-08. All I can say, and I hate to say it, is that I'm still waiting to be impressed by anything about these scopes...

fwiw, I wanted to be impressed by this combination...

The scope on the Anschutz felt like it was pulling on my eye during sight in. Dunno what is wrong with that scope but it has been noted by everyone that has shouldered it. You have to make your shot in 3 or 4 seconds or you get extreme eye strain. And yes the reticle has been repeatedly focused to try and correct the problem. Even compared to an ancient Leupold 7.5x with a German No. 1 post and it was like night and day. The old scope was not as bright but it would not give you a headache either... In short it is going back to Leupold for a check up and then into the for sale section...

The scope on the 7mm-08 is identical but does not display the same optical properties. That said it still has yet to wow me in any fashion...

In short there are going to be two LNIB FX-IIIs available in the near future. I'm still waiting on the Alumina covers.

[Linked Image]

Regards, Matt Garrett

Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw,
WGM said a mouthful when he said I had failed to see the "'to do' with the venerable 6x42 ..." I did not expect the scope to be a $1500 S&B, however, I've heard of this combination for ten years as being IT. I now have two of them and have yet to see anything other than average performance from the good one... The unit on the Anschutz clearly has problems and I'll exempt it from any conclusions drawn from this setup. It DOES reinforce my impression that Leupold is getting halfazzed...

fwiw, I love my Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 EFRs for rimfires, Vari-X III(s) & VX-III(s) 1.75-6x32Es on my .375 H&H, Mark 4/LR M1 3.5-10x40 SF for general use, VX 4.5-14x40 LRs for walking varminters, VX-III 6.5-20x40 LR on my PPC, and my VX-III 6.5-20x40 EFR on rimfire bench guns and as a slave scope... Not to mention three "real" Mark 4 10xs on my Custom M-14 and various other work rifles...

With that said I endured a comedy of errors to get these scopes and now that I have them in hand they are 1 for 2. One scope is FUBAR from The Custom Shop and the other is a real average performer. Up until the last two years I had one Leupold that could not be fixed by their repair department. A used 4.5-14x50 Long Range M1 that sucked before and after servicing. I've sent many back for service through the years, and barring that scope, never got a klinker back from Beaverton.

Someone is either trying to cut cost or boost production, or both, and quality control is beginning to slip. I've always recommended Leupold when a customer could not afford, did not need, or a Schmidt Bender was not appropriate for their needs, however, that was based on many a year of good service from personal scopes.

I'm going to avoid generalizations and continue to recommend scopes that continue to work, however, the days of my general "Leupold" recommendations are at an end...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

Btw, I thought it was interesting what Kenny Jarrett had to say when the VX-IIIs came out. Words to the effect that he had good performance from several Vari-X III models, however, he'd have to wait a few years to form an opinion on the VX-IIIs. Thought it strange at the time but it reinforces my opinion that he's been around the block a time or two and does not leave much to chance. Smart man...

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cfran
. . . start acting like the "nicer scope" is going to give the greater success in the field over a $270 scope.

That's where you and I will agree to disagree. Granted "greater success" is for the most part going to depend on ones ability in the field, general knowledge and skills he or she posses as a hunter. But in the unique circumstance of very low light the right scope can and will make a difference. It isn't hard as I can test em right out my back door and tell you which ones last longer in low light - in some cases you might get another 15 minutes with a better scope.

15 minutes in Alberta is a lifetime.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do call em out though when they start acting like the "nicer scope" is going to give the greater success in the field over a $270 scope.

Who's acting? I know a "nicer scope" will give me a greater chance of success in the field, just like a 1/2 MOA rifle will give me a greater chance of success in the field than a 2 MOA rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to know what wanting to have the best quality equipment has to do with self esteem. Having trouble wrapping my head around that concept.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I would like to know what wanting to have the best quality equipment has to do with self esteem...

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,182
Posts18,523,788
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.