Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was wondering if anyone on the board hunted over hand carved dekes?

I have had the good fortune of knowing a young game warden and decoy carver who is putting together a raft of blocks for me. The situation is a win/win for both of us as we both learn more about decoys as he carves them. In addition to having unique decoys to hunt over it is pleasing to see his improvement with each pair of birds. So far he has carved for me a sexed pair of blue wings, a spring and a fall plumage ruddy duck and a pair of black ducks. These are basic hunting blocks but not at all generic looking. With luck another half dozen will be here by late season.

As time and money become tougher to come bye I find that embracing the tradition of hunting is all the more appealing. It is admittedly a good feeling to encourage a young guy with talent as well. There are more decoy carvers out there than I would have realized and some of there work is AMAZING!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have about 35 hand carved decoys from my grandfather who carved them in the 20's and 30's, along with some from other carvers. I hunt with them once a year to keep them "alive...." I think he would like that....

The rest of the time they are displayed around the house....And no, they have not been touched up and they do work...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ohhhh HECK NO!!! Not around the guys I hunt with, they do enough damage shooting the plastic decoys!!! grin

Seriously, I know what you are saying and think it would be really cool to have a spread with some "history".

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,686
Posts18,513,509
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.