Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4353149 08/24/10
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am in the mood for Chicken and Dumplings (God I love them any time of the year), made in the style my Grandmother and her Mother before her made them. When I say style I mean slider/noodle type dumplings, not the puffy/drop type dumplings usually made in the northern part of the US.

I was wondering which style you folks make, where your recipe comes from, as in region, and whether it is a family recipe, or one you have put together yourself....

Lynn

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Myself and my family love feather dumplings and have used the same recipe for the last 35 years.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love chicken and dumplings, most I've ever been served were the puffy/drop type. I'd say I like both equally well for different reasons. Don't have a recipe, but think I'm going to have to learn to make some this week.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just remembered I got rid of all my eggs this week as they were connected to the recall so I am not going to use my family dough recipe which calls for egg, but I found one similar and will use it and roll it and cut it in my usual way. The chicken (I used a whole chicken cut up) has been simmering with onions, bay leaf, salt, pepper, celery salt for the last hour or so and the house smells great. Though I admit the chicken aroma is battling the blueberry pie aroma and the sage stuffing aroma coming from the oven grin

I will write out the recipe and post it following supper, along with some pics if I can get to them before they are all gone, which often happens frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pics would be great for this nor easterner that has never seen any thing but the puffy drop dumplings blush
And the recipie too ??

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam had a great chicken and dumpling recipe on here with pics. A search may help. I have the recipe but it is on my other computer....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
puffy drop type dumplings are NOT from the North.
We have been making those here in the deep South for hundreds of years.
I posted recipe and pictures last year.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I searched but could not find that post Sam. Should have book marked it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I apologize I was mistaken, only going on what I have been told by northerners. Actually I have only been familiar with any real kind of southern cooking for the last 3 years since I came to Fort Rucker, Alabama to help my son with my granddaughter while he is stationed here.

Lynn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know I eat anything but there's something about dough boiled in water that's simply not appealing. They were served to me as a kid and I would eat the chicken but just could not eat the wet goo.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
I am in the mood for Chicken and Dumplings (God I love them any time of the year), made in the style my Grandmother and her Mother before her made them. When I say style I mean slider/noodle type dumplings, not the puffy/drop type dumplings usually made in the northern part of the US.

I was wondering which style you folks make, where your recipe comes from, as in region, and whether it is a family recipe, or one you have put together yourself....

Lynn

Try this...It's quick and ain't too bad...
Cut up celery,carrots and onions.
Saut� the carrots and celery in olive oil until almost soft then add the onions and cook til they are soft.
Add chicken stock and a couple of can of white meat chicken.
Bring it to a boil then add cut strips of flour tortillas.
Make sure the salt and pepper is right...
Simmer until the tortillas can be passed off as dumplings...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Style

from my files as I booted up the other computer. I can attest to the goodness of this recipe!

.... nothing could be simplier to fix.
Cut up a chicken into it's component parts. Submerge in lightly salted water. Throw in celery tops, sliced onions and carrots. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for a couple of hours. You want the meat to literally fall off the bone.
I pull out the veggies at that time, and discard them. I add fresh celery, turnip, carrots, and more chicken broth if needed.
Cook the chicken and veggies another half hour or so, and then top with the dumplings.
I make these with two cups sifted AP flour, three teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt, and a cup of milk. Some folks like to add in a bit of fine diced onion and some chopped parsley. You want a fairly soft dough, and you don't want to work the dough a lot.
Drop the dough on top of the still bubbling broth with a large spoon. This will give you fairly large dumplings.
Cover, and cook another 15 min or so. If you like, turn the dumplings over after about 10 min.

This would make a great hunt camp meal, as it cooks slow while you are out hunting, feeds a crowd, fills them up, and tastes great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

here is the pic
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of the dumplins that I remember from my youth was a simple dough rolled out thin and cut into strips about one inch wide and two inches long. They would let them dry a little while to toughen them up before putting them in broth of chicken or squirrel. My wife has a dumpling cutter that looks like a rolling pin that is turned to have grooves to cut the dumplins into strips. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Bart said. If you don't want to make buiscuit dough for dumplings just use flour tortillas cut in strips.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
All of the dumplins that I remember from my youth was a simple dough rolled out thin and cut into strips about one inch wide and two inches long. They would let them dry a little while to toughen them up before putting them in broth of chicken or squirrel. My wife has a dumpling cutter that looks like a rolling pin that is turned to have grooves to cut the dumplins into strips. miles

That's what I remember.....

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a buddy that has called dumplings soaked bread for years, I still think he is nuts.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Stan V

Those are the ones I grew up on too.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
Originally Posted by Stan V

Those are the ones I grew up on too.

I knew if I wasn't carefull I'd learn something reading this cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.