A
Way north cold like where I'm at means:

No ticks!
No chiggers!
No fire ants!
No fleas on the dog!
No scorpions!
No snakes!
Mosquito season is only from May to end of July, not Jan to Dec!

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
[quote]And we have these things up here called "cold weather indicators"

[Linked Image]
Hillbilly thermometers.

Ok, so you found one girl who's mildly attractive and who went back up north for some photo ops.
I'd post up some pics of the talent along our southern shores but I'm afraid I'd get banned.
They don't film Girls Gone Wild up north for a reason.

Seriously, I like cold to about 30. Below that and it's just too cold. I just laugh whenever I see people having to shovel snow or scraping windshields at 6AM just to go to work. Raking leaves is bad enough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me - 12 degrees is perfect. It's not so cold you have to wear a jacket but not hot either.

Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bluefin1
[quote=ironbender]
And we have these things up here called "cold weather indicators"

[Linked Image]
Hillbilly thermometers.

Ok, so you found one girl who's mildly attractive and who went back up north for some photo ops.
I'd post up some pics of the talent along our southern shores but I'm afraid I'd get banned.
They don't film Girls Gone Wild up north for a reason.

Seriously, I like cold to about 30. Below that and it's just too cold. I just laugh whenever I see people having to shovel snow or scraping windshields at 6AM just to go to work. Raking leaves is bad enough.

MMmmm headlights on!

yep a little colder and they pack 'em away
Every spring I run off the road at least once!
But then hanging around school yards and pools will do that !

After looking at all the AK pics,
I'm wishin' I could live there about 4 months a year...

But we have too many snow snakes here in oh Hi ya

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Seriously, I like cold to about 30.

Ya mean +30?

Dude, that ain't cold! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by teal
For me - 12 degrees is perfect. It's not so cold you have to wear a jacket but not hot either.

I don't handle cold like I used to. +10*F to -10*F used to be perfect for doing outdoor chores like cutting/splitting/stacking firewood. Also for cross-country skiing. Warmer, and I'd like to sweat to death; colder and I needed more than a sweater.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cold is getting to me as well. Used to spend a day at the range in 20 degree weather and it wasn't too bad. Now my fingers really feel that.

Fall and Spring are gorgeous times of the year. Cool nights in the upper 30's or 40's and days in the 60's or 70's - just beautiful.

In Florida 60 degrees was considered cold and due to the dampness it felt cold. Here a low 60 degree day is perfect short sleeve weather.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I alwys got a good laugh at the new students at UAF when I lived in Fairbanks and worked on west ridge.

I'd see the cheechakos in their new REI parkas at 30*F with the hood up and snorkeled, wondering what they would do when winter came! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
After living in PA, FL, and TN (so yes, I can say been there, done that, and have years of experience living, not just transiting, in both climates), I'll take the cold north ANY TIME.

Matter of fact, I did. laugh

After my last 10 year stint in west TN, I swore I'd never live anywhere again with that kind of heat and humidity.

Besides, I just could never get used to sitting in 80-90 degree weather, getting eaten alive by bugs, and claiming that I was "having fun" hunting. Give me a few inches of fresh snow to hunt in any time....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nothing better icefishing outside about 20 degrees no wind , sun in your face and a cold labatts... its been to hot here this summer and im getting cranky want it to be over... Anytime you outside and 5 minutes you start sweating to hot....70 degrees and under is perfect...

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bluefin1

But at least us folks down South don't have to shovel heat!

YOu don't have to shovel cold either. I'll take cold over heat anyday.

Snow otoh...you can have. I like it for 16 days in November, and on Christmas Eve. The rest I could care less about.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Southern boys will never know what you're talking about, but I do, and you're right.

a sunny 0* day in Feb, can feel pretty warm if the wind isn't blowing.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Long sleeve t and a good Woolrich flannel - keep a guy right toasty till it gets cool - about -5 or so....

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can work up a sweat shoveling snow in -30....done it many times.....can wear a tshirt down to 20...my heavy winter coat only usually gets worn for a few weeks a year but lives in the truck in case i get stuck in a ditch.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
rather be in the cold, that is until it gets to -35F below 0, can't feel the trigger. Don't go out then. Gloves do not keep your hands warm in that tempature you need mits. You got to take em off of course to shoot, you better shoot fast. I live in the northern interior of B.C. the winters can get brutal up here, but the last few years it has been warm during the winter. only a day or two of -40F then the cold is pretty much over. The old timers around here can remember 35 -40 year ago it got down to -40F to -50F and stayed there for weeks. Now thats cold boys and girls. Your tires are square, you leave your vehicle running 24/7 or stick a tiger torch under the oil pan and thats with plugging it in also.

Last edited by eaglesnester; 08/24/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
to true.....i quit hunting at about 0 cause i frost bit the tips of all my fingers doing stupid chit in high school.....anything below 0 and open air is painful as all hell....best advise is dont ever get frost bite, even lightly, the tissue is never the same....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hint - she's cold...

[Linked Image]

Turkey's done!

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The smell of fireplace smoke, someones home and waiting for you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
nice hot wood stove cain't fix the heat!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Having lived 5 years in Alberta (Calgary, Edmonton) and 7 years in Texas (Houston, Midland and now the Hill Country) I have decided that I must have both. So a place in the Hill Country and one in the Idaho panhandle works just fine. I grew up in the Bay Area of California that was great for weather but.... Anyway, I am glad I left.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.