Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have been looking for a good quality base layer for some time now and I know the issue has covered a couple of times, but the reason I want to bring it up again is because I'm looking for something that is camo. The reason I want a camo base layer is because I'm archery hunting in utah and it would usually be all I would wear in the early season. One issue I'm having is that a lot of base layers appear to have a shine to them that I dislike. Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy a longsleeve cotton t shirt in camo to wear over your polypro.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Try Underarmor.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Smoke, do you like the compression or loose fit?

M
M
you into merino?
these guys have a pretty good rep, i've never used the stuff but i have fondled some in a shop and its on my wish list.
http://www.firstlite.com/

Nothing to see here.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've wondered about their stuff, but I've never handled it personally. Did it have the same kind of shine that some of the others have?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Firstlite has no shine whatsoever, you can use it for several days before it starts to stink and it's pretty much bullet proof. They would be my top choice for sure.

Last edited by THE_ELK_REAPER; 08/24/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Interesting. Thanks for the link to First Light. I love Merino.

As for their preferred camo pattern, how effective is ASAT in the field, really?

I realize the claim is that an animal's eyes are different than ours and see differently, but whenever I see it on a far off ridge or coming up the bottom of big basin, it's like, "Hey! Look at the dude dressed head to toe in ASAT over there!"

This guys ammo seems to no bother animals too much...

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthAmericanHunting#p/a/D5137D7551E9861B/2/t2qe4x5vavI

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by c5mrr270
Smoke, do you like the compression or loose fit?

All I've got is compression but it works pretty good for bowhunting, when I wear a tight-fitting shirt over it, it doesn't add to the bagginess I try to avoid.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Interesting. Thanks for the link to First Light. I love Merino.

As for their preferred camo pattern, how effective is ASAT in the field, really?

I realize the claim is that an animal's eyes are different than ours and see differently, but whenever I see it on a far off ridge or coming up the bottom of big basin, it's like, "Hey! Look at the dude dressed head to toe in ASAT over there!"

This guys ammo seems to no bother animals too much...

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthAmericanHunting#p/a/D5137D7551E9861B/2/t2qe4x5vavI

sweet video

For I am not ashamed
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried quite a few(incl first lite), and am now very satisfied with the Sitka core T shirt.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
To me the sitka core seemed to have that shine to it. Does that go away with use/washing?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Switching to ASAT as we speak. Have some Day One stuff. Had the ASAT brochure and First Lite insert as well.

The ASAT stuff is really pretty good, at least to a human eye. Like Predator, the more open patterns are really better overall. Most of the Mossy BS makes you look like a big blob, or a chocolate bear at any distance. The Mothwing Sitka was pretty good also, and their newer digi/forest is probably pretty good as well. But WAY too spendy for me.

And opposed to most, I am not too terribly thrilled with Merino wool. Seems it's the "in" thing on the 'Fire a "must have". But I have Icebreaker, Smartwool, and Terramar. Have been cold and clammy in all of them. I think a $14 fleece pull over about the best thing out there.

I just got the Day One pull over made in ASAT fleece. Seems nice, but haven't used it yet.

The Sitka Core Zip in Mothwing a realy great base layer for the original poster is asking for in my opinion. A loose fit, good design, good zipper, and the nice pocket on the arm. It's my go-to for the above situation. YMMV

Please God, give me some good tags this year....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 68 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.