Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AndyG
Outfitters do have a place. Outfitters who only pander to rich trophy shooters are not hunters and poor for the sport.

So outfitters that guide people to dinks are fine, but the good ones are the problem?!?

Empirical results rule!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's one hell of a buck. Kudos to the hunter.

I saw a picture yesterday of a potential WR Sitka Non typical that was killed last weekend in my neck of the woods by some local boys. Sure gets your blood pumping knowing those big guys are still out there on public land!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Whats more astonishing is you're ability to twist my words.

I'm not twisting your words. You went from this statement about it being a 20,000 acre deer farm

Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave.

To this statement that was just as absurd, you just bumped up your acreage estimation to 600,000 acres instead of 20,000 acres

I did some research and the buck was shot while being guided by Vaquero Outfitters, who run 600,000 acres of Arizona private land. Like I said, monster bucks are farmed. Modern hunting doesn't allow public land bucks to mature because there are just too many humans on too much land and the bucks never get to their potential size. Another world record that was bought. Whooppee!!

I especially like when you said that "Modern hunting doesnt allow public bucks to mature" Dude! Thats HILARIOUS considering this was a public land buck

You then come back on and say that the outfitter patrols the 600,000 acres they're hunting even after its been pointed out that the buck was killed on public ground

Look, these outfitters are in business to make money, bottom line. They manage the land to produce big bucks. The more you can afford, the bigger buck you can shoot. And anyone who thinks that these outfitters don't have a caravan of SUV's patolling the land with spotting scopes and radioing to each other are kidding themselves. Thats's how the shooter finds a buck like this on 600,000 acres. That's why I said "another record buck was bought". This guy had enough money to pay the outfitter to shoot the biggest buck on their land. And yes, I feel this way about anyone who would rather pay money to be led to a monster buck, than to work hard and be happy with what his work panned out.

And finally, you made some ridiculous claims about how private land is better than public and that any "dumb ass" knows that

You show me where it says the deer was shot on public land. I can show you where it says the outfitter that the man paid, controls over 600,000 acres. Which any dumbass like you can figure out, if a man is paying me enough to shoot a world record, I'm taking him to the private land, not public.

"Im taking him to the private land, not public" LMAO!!!!!

It's BLATANTLY obvious that you are absolutely clueless! You wonder why people like me get fired up, its because people like you will come up with anything to try and discredit a hunters accomplishment for no apparent reason. Every time a big animal hits the ground and word spreads there is a douchebag just like you on every internet message board, local bar and grill or anyplace hunters congregate that comes up with some BS conspiracy theory or story to bring them down.

What makes you an even bigger douchebag is that when it had become obvious you were wrong you just kept at it instead of admitting you made a mistake. A real man would own it, you didnt, you just kept at it.

You claim to have moved from Idaho, did you make residence in West Virginia first and used to go by the handle "wvhunter"? You guys remind me alot of one another

Drum

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
And I wouldn't really say I have an axe to grind. I just have little respect for people who pay to be led to big bucks instead of working for a buck that's a trophy to them.

So by your logic, anyone who pays a guide or outfitter to hunt any animal anywhere on the planet deserves "little respect?" Or do you apply that logic solely to deer hunting? You've also made an astonishing leap to the mind-boggling conclusion that anyone who pays a guide or outfitter doesn't really "work for a buck?" And just how do you know that with certainty?

The more you argue, the deeper you dig the hole you've stepped into.

Whats more astonishing is you're ability to twist my words. Where do you make the leap from me saying "...pay to led to big bucks.." to you saying " anyone, anywhere on the planet hunting any animal". Did I say that, no. So go dig yourself a hole and fill it with words you want to put in my mouth.

Outfitters do have a place. Outfitters who only pander to rich trophy shooters are not hunters and poor for the sport.

I didn't twist your words. I simply pointed out the gigantic flaw in your argument (and logic), which in turn led you to backtrack and admit that outfitters do have a place -- just not in hunting trophy mule deer, apparantly. So just where do you draw the line? Outfitters are OK for some species and not for others? Are they OK in Africa and the far north, but not the lower 48? Or do you simply draw the line over the actual cost of a hunt? Is $2500 OK and $7500 not OK? Or do you have a mandatory degree of difficulty which separates real hunters from your "rich trophy shooters?"

You've perched yourself upon a mighty lofty, if slippery, slope, with your baseless accusations of farmed deer and generalized criticism of anyone who "pays to be led to big bucks."

I would counter that outfitters who "only pander to rich trophy shooters," as you put it, are far less a danger to the sport than hunters who instantly attack other hunters and accuse them of harvesting farmed deer, "guaranteed," as you asserted, without so much as a shred of evidence to support your claim.

Nevermind the fact that you admit to knowing nothing about hunting mulies on "The Strip," one of the nation's most famed mulie hunting areas. Simply being guided in that country, by the way, does NOT guarantee you a trophy animal. Ask the many who have tried and failed.

You should realize there's a reason most commentators in this thread have called BS on your original criticism: "Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave." Wiggle all you want. You fired that opening salvo, without the benefit of factual knowledge, and you should expect to be called on it.

Of course, if you actually knew what you were talking about re. hunting mulies on The Strip, you'd already know how laughable that statement truly is.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What the heck is someone from Philly, opining on Az and western mulie hunting.

Anyway, a lot of absurd comments by AndyG... I drew a Dec muzzy tag for the southwestern part of the state. Tough desert country with few deer, but the bucks do get large and 'Mature', contrary to what Andy say's.

Kent

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm guessing that after the Spiderbull Circus, more than a few guys are skeptical when they hear about an outfitted hunt producing a WR. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wheres this guy from PA by way of idaho - like he really has any knowledge of arizona - ANDY stay where you are! you don't have clue one what the hell you are talking about! AZCOUES

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I was extremely outspoken on the spider bull fiasco and the negative effects of that type of 'hunting'. It was well chronicled. That was it's own case in many ways and twists.

AndyG's false imaginings about the animal and country hunted in, being raised, whatnot, shows his ignorance and marginalizes any value of him guessing right about other issues.

The funny thing, he's talking about the strip. A inhospitable, sparsely populated, huge land mass of public land, that's one claim to fame is world class mulies, raised by nature and no one else.

If he knows something specific on the way this deer was hunted, then he needs to bring that to light. I have no idea myself so won't comment. I do know he was so far off base on the logistics of country and species in this case to be laughable.

Kent

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just for the sake of curiosity, it'd be nice to hear if the outfitters had that buck located before that hunter showed up for his hunt. Or if they were just glassing and he showed up in somebodies binos. Always interesting to hear how hunts go down.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never been on a guided hunt and have hunted mule deer in several western states, almost always on public land. I've taken some great bucks and have been schooled many times also. The hands down toughest hunt I've ever been on was 13A Arizona Strip... it's all public land, very tough to find deer. It was a 10 day hunt during the peak of the rut with a rifle. I spent 14 days hunting alone, without a shower, living in my truck, no visits to any town, in a tent, glassing my ass off all day, every day.. and I went home without. To imply any hunt on the Arizona Strip is easy is pure ignorance.

That's a great buck, awesome!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for general infomation - there are lots of ways to hunt the strip- it's never easy - sure outfitters are in business for a reason - they spend the time to get to know the area - but 600,000 - think about it - noway - nohow - you are lucky to get in and out without having major problems -

there are also lots of other outfitters around who hunt the strip
here's just one other who really knows the strip
you really want to droool this morning guys
heres a link - if ya got time click on the video's on t he bottom of the page

http://atfirstlightguides.com/home/?page_id=35&album=1&gallery=3

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just for purpose of argument- only like 100 tags available each yr for 13a-b 8000 apply for these tags annually- less than 2 % chance of draw.

I've never used an outfitter but when ya have no knowledge of the area - guides/outfitters can make the differnce in a successful hunt.

to belittle a world class buck taken fairchase on public land -even with the help of an outfitter - shows that you ANDY-
are clueless on the comments you made about this issue!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Calvin
Just for the sake of curiosity, it'd be nice to hear if the outfitters had that buck located before that hunter showed up for his hunt. Or if they were just glassing and he showed up in somebodies binos. Always interesting to hear how hunts go down.

What I've heard from other guides and such about the outfitters on the strip. They are good'ol'boys, pretty much interconnected, some cowboy that country and that's where their base knowledge comes from.

Since they live and work out in the field, I'm sure they know some of the animals there.

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll second the strip being the farthest thing from a "weekend hunt" kind of place. Onto the deer: wow.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave. These animals are cattle, not game. I was watching "Innerloc" deer hunting on the Outdoor Channel yesterday. These guys had a 2.5 year old 8 point walk up to their blind and was sniffing the window. The guy could reach out and touch the deer. This is hunting?

Wanna step back and reevaluate? Love the 'Guarantee'...

Anyway, talking with some serious sheep and muley guys, seems both the hunter/dad and outfitter are well respected. It's matches what little I've heard before, just more specific.

Chad Smith, the outfitter, has a reputation of no cameras or flying... just serious glassing and scouting, hard work.

That's the buzz...

Kent

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave. These animals are cattle, not game. I was watching "Innerloc" deer hunting on the Outdoor Channel yesterday. These guys had a 2.5 year old 8 point walk up to their blind and was sniffing the window. The guy could reach out and touch the deer. This is hunting?

You continue to show up, rarely, and exhibit a level of dumbphuckitude nearly without parallel.

Simply amazing, though poster children for retroactive birth control are hard to come by.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder where AndyG went? grin

Come on Andy, make some more "Guarantees" for us!

Still LMAO about his comments about how he would hunt the private ground every time and that public bucks arent allowed to grow up anymore because of pressure. Its so damn funny! I also like the part where he said he lived in ID so he knew all about mule deer hunting. What a TOOL!

Drum

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Wonder where AndyG went? grin

Come on Andy, make some more "Guarantees" for us!

Still LMAO about his comments...
Drum

Don't laugh so hard just yet...I have no opinion one way or the other but lookat the below post and give me your thoughts on where to draw the line on fair chase ethical hunting...

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: .....
Sent: Fri, September 3, 2010 12:11:55 PM
Subject: What may possibly have happened

This outfitter has been proven in the past to have located some bucks before the season. They have been known to locate some bucks for hunters and to take the said hunters right to the last location of where they saw those bucks.

Having said that, many outfitters do that for clients, including videoing, taking trail cam photos and collecting sheds to show hunters exactly what they are paying for to hunt with them.

At this time, I have no further information. Draw your own conclusions.

As to the other question: While all the information on the Spiderbull is unfortunate and some may say borders on non-ethical sportsmanship, even if borderline "fair chase", it begs the question of where some outfitters and some socalled hunters' ethics and morals really are.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I suppose that if I had hired an outfitter for a hard-to-draw tag in an area I was unfamiliar with, I'd be kinda pissed if I showed up and was informed he'd not even been out scouting, so as to be "fair" and "start from scratch"......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Now it is unethical for an outfitter to scout?

And also unethical for said outfitter to take a client to the spot where they have located trophy animals?

This entire ethical/non-ethical debate is getting a little ridiculous. None of the above changes the fact that the HUNTER had to work his butt off, be in shape, locate the animal, stock to within bow range, and make a good shot. All in some of the roughest mulie country that there is.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.