Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jorge has the urge to use his new love, the .405 Win on Syncerus caffer caffer.

If he can, as claimed by some, get 2000 fps out of a 400 grain Woodleigh, then I say go for it. 1750 fps? Use the Rigby.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff I think the 300gr TSX @ 2250 is very marginal but will get the job done. When the TSXs came out they sort of threw the SD formula into a "rethink" mode, at least that has been my observation with the 338s, where a 210 TTSX outpenetrated a 250gr Hornady, at least in my very small sample of three hogs. If you can make the Axis/hog hunt this coming Spring, I'll bring it along and we can whack some of those huge 300 pounders Little Mike has out there. That said, no way I'd go buff hunting without my Rigby smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/24/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What about 300 grain flat nose solids? They will penetrate.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't tried those. Who makes them?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got Barnes to make a special run a number of years back. 240 monolithic solids for the .45 Win Mag. At 1950 fps, they would penetrate a railroad tie at 25 yards!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to find a good test medium for these TSXs. I have a feeling they will penetrate weii. Still, the solid idea sounds interesting. I know TR had solids in his 405 back then but I don't think I can find any of those!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ET would do use it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the .405 Winchester has whacked a few Cape Buff before.... And, that was with the standard 300 gr bullets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's not the optimum choice of cartridge, IMHO, but it would probably work; especially with today's much better bullets.

In the interest of full disclosure, let me state up front that I have never hunted Cape Buffalo or any type of dangerous game. Jorge, however, HAS hunted Cape Buff before. If he's comfortable with the idea of using the .405 to hunt a buff, then I say go for it.

Now I think I will sit back and watch the debate from my comfortable armchair! grin

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that little babe can do it, then I HAVE TO! Besides, this thing is FAST, I can probably get off three shots faster than I can with my bolt and that Rigby's long throw. This rifle is FAST men! BTW Bob, I installed that peep on a 94/22 Winchester and it works great. If I decide to put it on the 95, I'll have to order the whole sight and replace the existing one but it will not take away from the rifle's lines like the Williams would have. j

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If that little babe can do it, then I HAVE TO!

Yeah, I posted those photos just to give you a little inspiration! grin grin grin

Besides, to paraphrase that TV commercial:

"So easy a GIRL can do it." grin grin grin

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That was one spunky girl!

I can't believe nobody as yet has been apoplectic at the thought.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need to find a good test medium for these TSXs. I have a feeling they will penetrate weii. Still, the solid idea sounds interesting. I know TR had solids in his 405 back then but I don't think I can find any of those!

Call Barnes and see if they will run 500+ for you. I'm not sure if the new directors will still do such stuff,and you need to be patient, but it was worth the wait.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe Brittany Boddington used a Ruger No. 1 in 405 Win. on her Cape Buff. (However, I think she used 400-gr. Hornady's.)

As far as solids go, GS Custom has a 300-gr. FN solid and North Fork now offers a 400 grainer in both of their CPS and FPS profiles.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about these in .410" and 400grains?

Could you reload this diameter in the .405 Win?

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The 405 is a serious cartridge.

300 grains at 2200 fps ain't chump change.

Link: http://www.winchester.com/Products/...oint/Pages/default.aspx?c=405+Winchester

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/24/10.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
That was one spunky girl!

I can't believe nobody as yet has been apoplectic at the thought.

The only thing I'm apoplectic about is the steel butt plate.

Now if Jorge has the good sense to use a shotgun butt, with a Pachmayr decelerator or R-3 pad, I say the Buff will lose. Otherwise, Jorge's shoulder is the loser!

Hell he could DRIVE to Texas, let Bart hit him in the shoulder 3 times w/ a baseball bat, and buy a tough old range steer, he's have the same results, AND get to meet Bart!

Sycamore

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I believe Brittany Boddington used a Ruger No. 1 in 405 Win. on her Cape Buff. (However, I think she used 400-gr. Hornady's.)

As far as solids go, GS Custom has a 300-gr. FN solid and North Fork now offers a 400 grainer in both of their CPS and FPS profiles.

She killed a water buffalo with 300 gr. Hornady Spire-points. Hornady does not make a 400 gr. loading for the .405 Winchester.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/bully-for-the-405

Hodgdon max loads will apparently push a 400 gr. Woodleigh to 1945 FPS. I would think that would be sufficient.

Makes it seem a little absurd to use this cartridge on whitetails, but I am doing it this November...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
jorgeI, I believe over on AR, that Ernest Gilbert took his 1895, .405 to Tanzania and killed 1 or 2 buff with his. Can't remember, but thought he used woodleighs softs/solids. Might do a search and see what you can find.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tony Makris shot a buff with a Win. 405, on Under Wild Skies.
One shot kill at close range.
Don't know what bullet tho.
Believe it was an original too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great posts guys, appreciate the interest. I've spoken to Ernest about his 405 and he indeed used the 400gr NFs for his 405. On a Ruger #1 you can seat the bullet out much farther plus it is a stronger action and you can push the 400gr pill enough to make a difference I would think. The 405 uses a .411 diameter so the GS bullet would not would I don;t think.

As to the steel butt plate, I guess I'm impervious to pain because I can shoot that rifle all day off the bench with no issues. It's really pretty mild, the only think one needs to be careful is not to "pinch" your armpit meat between the buttplate and the bottom of the bench. That hurts!

Tony Makris did take a buff at close range with an original 405 and factory Hornady ammo, one shot kill between the eyes. Anyhow, from everything I've seen about the TSXs that 300gr I think will penetrate sufficiently to offset the lousy SD. Hell, if another FEMALE took a 2500lb Water Buffalo with a factory 300gr Horndady with one shot, certainly *I* can do it as well with the added benefit of the TSX! smile

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.