-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I am going to Wyoming on my first guided hunt this year. I have never owned a pair on binoculars. I have hunted my entire life(25 yrs)in Georgia and we just don't have that far to look. I am getting in to bow hunting here so I want something dual purpose. Looking at 10x42 range? I would like to keep it around $250. I know that is entry level but with everything else I need to go on my trip this all I have put aside. Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ProMaster Elite ED's........close to your price, will not beat the view! Good luck!

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
My advice, for what it's worth would be to look at some glass in the 8x30 range. I live in Wyoming and that's what I use all the time. Standard advice is to go with 10x for western hunting, but the longer you keep the binoculars to your eyes the more game you are going to see and most people in my experience are able to do that better with a 8x than a 10x. I have never felt handicapped with a 32mm objective and such binoculars are much handier to carry. They would also serve you better for bow hunting back in GA. As far as make there is no substitute for going somewhere where you can look through a few models in your price range. One is going to feel right, look right and work better for you and that can be different for different people. Good luck on your WY hunt.

Last edited by yaderehey; 08/26/10.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You dont need HIGH power binocs to see game. As you stated you are getting into bowhunting and in my experience, bowhunting for 20 years now, low power is much more useful than higher powered binocs. Also your guide should have a spotter to help judge game. I just picked up a pair of the Vortex Fury 6.5 x 32 that Doug has on clearance and they are great so far. Check them out.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexfury6x32

Personally I dont like 10x binoculars, a good pair of 6-8x is plenty for what I need 95% of the time and they have less shake and are brighter in low light.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
at that price, it's hard to beat the Zen-Ray ZRS that Cameraland NY carries.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/zenray.pl?page=zenray-zrs0842

IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
I am looking at the Zen-Ray products. They look really nice for the price. My question is should I go with the 8X42 ZRS or would I be better to go with the demo 8X43 ED for $295? Is there $100 difference?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those Leupold Yosemites are less than 1/2 your budget.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-yosemite-8x30-porro-prism-binocular-black
Search for all comments on this board.
Doug @ cameraland will help you when you do decide.

stumpy

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Go to a well stocked outlet and try out a few of the better brands. Ask if you can take them outside and compare them.
Many of us have found that we do better hunting in the wide open spaces of the west with 8X binoculars. I have three myself. I also have two 6X and one 6.5X, all of which get used in some of the most open country you'll ever see in the US. In close, heavy cover, and for one to use on your feet, I believe the 6X rules.
But some do prefer a 10x. Heck, I use a 12X50 on occasion.
It has to suit you. Some of mine may not fit you.
Another option is to do bussiness with Cameraland, N.Y. They will give you a full refund for any bin you buy from them if you aren't happy. I've done this myself. Great people. Especially good for those makes and models, which are often excellent buys, that your local stores may not carry. E

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by jonathant
I am looking at the Zen-Ray products. They look really nice for the price. My question is should I go with the 8X42 ZRS or would I be better to go with the demo 8X43 ED for $295? Is there $100 difference?

The 8x43 ED is my first pair of nice binoculars. I paid $370 new last year, which is totally worthy it. It's a tad shaper and brighter than Pentax SP ED.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
+2 on the ZenRay ED. I have the 8x43 and my brother has the newer/pricier ZR ED2. Excellent value for the price. My Leicas are better, but JUST BARELY.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I borrowed some Steiner's from a co-worker, they were a smaller compact model he had purchased on clearance from Sportsman's guide of Cheaper than Dirt catalog. They were amazingly bright and clear and the price paid was less than $75.00 on clearance.

J
OP Offline
J
How do the Vortex Vulture binos stack out with the Zen-Ray?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've owned a pair of Pentax 8X42 DCF binoculars for several years and they've performed very well for me. They are rugged, dependable, light weight and relatively compact. The lenses provide clear images and have great light transmission qualities. You should be able to purchase a pair for $250 to $275.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you are going to be bowhunting mostly, you will be well served with 8x at most. Also look at overall size and weight. I have a pair of the Zen Ray ZRS in 8x and the view is nice. I find them quite a bit bigger and heavier than the Swift 7x35 binoculars they replaced (older modeln now badged Eaglet). If you are moving much, size and weight do matter. i have done quite a bit of hunting in the west, and live in open Texas. Never saw the need for 10x glass.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I'd be leaning towards and 8x vs. a 10x, but to each their own. I've traveled the country with my 8x30's and never felt the need for more with a binocular. I'd strongly recommend an 8x3? or 8x4?.

I've heard very good things about the Zen Ray's, but would also talk with Doug about his Minox specials. My father has the Minox 8x42/3 BV demo/blemished and you'd never know it wasn't NIB. Extremely nice glass and rugged for the $160 spent - I'd not be disappointed owning a pair.

Not sure where you are in Georgia, but I've stopped in a time or two at the Bass Pro Shop north of Macon off the highway. They have a nice selection to look through. If not buying in person, I'd give Doug a call at Cameraland, he will not stear your wrong and he stands behind what he sells.

Best of luck.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the money, I sure liked my buddy's Leupold Cascades 10x42. I own Leica bino's and was very impressed with the Leupy's in a side-by-side comparison.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stopped and met Charles at Zen Ray last week and had a nice visit. Great guy! I enjoyed the visit. He showed me a picture of a super spotting scope he's working on. Looked through the ED2's and the ZRS HD's.

No moss on those HD's! New binoculars with dielectric coatings with a bulletproof warranty. Hard to beat at $215.

At $200 I really like Doug's open box Minox porros at $199.

Wholesale Sports in the NW has some new binocs on closeouts. Bushnell Elite E2 8x42's for $220. Don't know if they'd ship them, but they are really nice binocular. They may still have an Alpen Apex 10x50 for $190 which is a lot like the Leupold Olympic. The Vanguard Platinums surprised me with a darn good view. Priced on closeouts from $100 to $120.
They even have Vortex Razors and Minox HG's at super deals.

I like quality over magnification most of the time. So if you are thinking 6x I'd go with the Vortex Fury 6.5x32's doug has.

There's been a Minox BV on ebay that ends soon with no bids at $75. That seems like a heck of a deal too.

For $200 you can get a really nice piece of glass. Hope you have a great hunt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
heck you otta have a peek through the 6x30 yosemite's tough to beat for $75.00.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ZRS are hard to beat at there price I sure like mine

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The demo ZEN ED 8x43 is one heck of deal. My buddy got one after checking out my 10x43 ZEN ED. It is spanking brand new pair.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.