Hop To
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi All,
Would anti-seize applied to the action screws of a titanium action be a good idea to prevent the screws from seizing or creating galvanic corrosion?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Great question and I would also like to know the answer. My application would be for an all stainless gun though. Thought about using something like corrosion-x on the action screws for this purpose and just checking from time to time and making sure they are tightened to the correct inch pounds for the rifle to make sure they are not loosening. Any help on this?

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I'll probably get yelled at by somebody for suggesting this but what I use on action screws is Permatex aviation gasket sealant. An acceptable substite would be Permatex # 2 gasket sealant.

It will absolutely prevent galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals which I have to say isn't the reason I use it. It seals the threads and prevents moisture from causing rust and if the screws are checked for tightness it will not lose it's thread locking properties unlike loctite. It's unaffected by oils too.

The downside is that it's goopy and if you want to completely remove it you have to use something like lacquer thinner or brake cleaner. A very light coating on the screws works just fine, for me, as a thread locking and sealing compound.

The downside to oils or anti-sieze is they have no thread locking properties and under repeated recoil screws can loosen.

Call me stupid if you want to, but it works for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used antiseize on stainless screws & actions with fine results, as in the next time I needed to take the screws out they came out fine. Only problem is that the darn stuff seems to end up all over the place as soon as I open the jar. I haven't had much experience with Ti actions, but have worked with Ti in other applications plenty and have had to deal on many occasions with badly galled or seized screws, taps, tubes, etc. We always used antiseize when assembling anything Ti. Whatever you do, don't install them dry!

Huntin' season yet?

The Freewheeling Tony Smith
Gunsmith/Machinist/Engine Builder
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Teflon Pipe Sealant works great at keeping SS from galling and should work on Ti as well. If you don't like pipe goop, use the tape.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How about Tru-Kote Barrel Thread Protector? Its made for SS barrel threads and works without a mess. www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33713/Product/Tru_Kote_Barrel_Thread_Protector

I agree with Tony Montana, one teaspoon of Never-Seez could coat the entire landmass of North America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 8 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.