-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, the Spanish are white Europeans in case anybody was unaware.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave93
THEY NEVER SURRENDERED- Bronco Apaches of the Sierra Madre 1890-1935 by Douglas V Meed.....Westernlore Press 1993 Tuscon AZ. If you like history about this subject....this is very good.

Entertaining but mostly fiction!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Right next to the Heckowees....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Right next to the Heckowees....

I was thinking that!!!!! laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey Mudhen, can you explain why THEY NEVER SURRENDERED is mostly fiction?? Just curious. Thanks.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well Birdie,

Based upon your recommendation I picked up the book and just finished it. I agree that it is a excellent read. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Most amusing quote I found was "The kind of anarchy that gives anarchy a bad name".

It had an interesting take on those parts of Mexican Law Enforcement that decided to become profit centers. And on those that didn't.

For folks in Fairfax County Virginia, it's back in the Reston Library.

Chuck

Last edited by chuck_tree; 08/26/10. Reason: "literasy"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There are a lot of Mestizos around. That is why the old families here stress that they are Spanish, (complete with red hair and blue eyes).

The stories of lost tribes are interesting, any of them left now will be assimilated into the Mexican population. I remember Ishi from years ago, before the last big TV stuff on him.

As for living as an outlaw in the backcountry; try any of the survivalist nuts, or other cultures living on the fringe is "modern" society. I am also reminded of the WW2 Japanese that laid low in the Phillipines clear into the 60''s.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I read it too...Good read. Puts a lot of things in perspective.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave93
Hey Mudhen, can you explain why THEY NEVER SURRENDERED is mostly fiction?? Just curious. Thanks.

The quick answer is that after reading it (along with the "autobiography" of Nino Chochise), I became very curious and did a lot of serious research, aided by the Arizona Historical Society and the kind efforts of some very serious historians. The events and dates don't hold up very well, and those that do sort of match cannot be verified.

I consulted a lot of original sources, contemporary accounts, diaries and some exhaustive newspaper research. You would be surprised at the number of periodicals that were publishing in those days and reporting any and all rumors along with the occasional first hand report. In addition, a lot of this has been revisited by other historians who have spent more time, energy and effort than I could afford to expend.

Both of the aforementioned books were written and published for the same reason that Charlie Siringo admitted to published his tales of trail driving and working as a detective for the Pinkerton Agency: "to make money". Charlie adhered quite a bit closer to the truth...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.