Print Thread
Hop To
#4363650 08/28/10
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Seems I heard the other day the Regulatory Czar,Cass Sustein,or how ever his name is spelled,has deemed lead bullets bad for the environment.Also,the EPA in accord with his bright idea is banning lead bullets.Is this true,has anyone else also heard this recent decision?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
They are working on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since lead comes from the ground, are they going to dig it all up and send it into space to protect the planet?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
EPA denies bid to ban lead in hunting ammunition

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER (AP) � 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON � The Environmental Protection Agency on Friday denied a petition by five environmental groups to ban lead in hunting ammunition, saying the issue is not within the agency's jurisdiction.

The EPA said it did not have the authority to enact the ban, aimed at protecting wildlife, under the Toxic Substances Control Act, as the groups had requested.

But the agency said it's still reviewing another part of the petition, to ban lead fishing sinkers.

The EPA informed one of the groups, American Bird Conservancy, of the decision in a letter.

The groups had argued in their petition that millions of animals are dying from eating lead-shot pellets or carcasses contaminated by lead. They said an estimated 10 million to 20 million birds and other animals die each year from lead poisoning in the U.S.

In a petition filed earlier this month, the environmental groups argued that instances of lead poisoning from ammunition and fishing sinkers "present an unreasonable risk of injury" to both human health and the environment.

The petition cited nearly 500 peer-reviewed scientific articles that the environmental groups said document the toxic effects of lead on wildlife.

These studies "conclude that the lead components of bullets, shotgun pellets, fishing weights and lures pose an unreasonable risk of injury to human and wildlife health and the environment," the Aug. 3 petition argued.

The EPA was required to respond to the petition within 90 days.

"EPA is taking action on many fronts to address major sources of lead in our society such as eliminating childhood exposure to lead," Steve Owens, the agency's assistant administrator for chemical safety and pollution prevention said in a statement.

But he said the agency "was not and is not considering taking action on whether the lead content in hunting ammunition poses an undue threat to wildlife."

The environmentalists were sharply critical of the EPA decision, arguing the agency has the authority to act and that there is a wide range of non-lead ammunition available.

"The EPA had ample evidence that lead bullets and shot have a devastating effect on America's wildlife, yet has refused to do anything about it," said Darin Schroeder, vice president for conservation advocacy at the American Bird Conservancy, one of the petitioners. "It's disappointing to see this country's top environmental agency simply walk away from the preventable poisoning of birds and other wildlife."

Also signing the petition were the Association of Avian Veterinarians, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and Project Gutpile.

___

Online:

http://www.epa.gov

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/

Copyright � 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Related articles

* NRA Warns Against New Gun Control Push ... From EPA
U.S. News & World Report - 23 hours ago
* EPA rejects traditional ammo ban petition claiming lack of jurisdiction
Examiner.com - 3 hours ago
* EPA Denies Petition to Protect Wildlife From Toxic Lead-based Ammunition
Center for Biological Diversity (press release) - 17 hours ago
* More coverage (1) �

Add News to your iGoogle Homepage Add News to your Google Homepage
The Associated Press

In a free country the government doesn't fear its citizens and there firearms. In a crocked government everything is up to be removed even the citizens if they truly believe in freedom.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shameless
Seems I heard the other day the Regulatory Czar,Cass Sustein,or how ever his name is spelled,has deemed lead bullets bad for the environment.Also,the EPA in accord with his bright idea is banning lead bullets.Is this true,has anyone else also heard this recent decision?

No, it's pretty much bullshit, but it makes a lot of people feel good to go on and on about it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for the enlightenment,I heard Glenn Beck carrying on about this the other day,and I pretty much knew I could get some GOOD INFO on here some where.I don't want to upset the Beck crowd,but I don't trust him any further than I can spit.And actually thats kind of too far,but it's an old cliche.I'm like the other guy,how can you say that lead is bad for the dirt when thats where the stuff comes from! confused

Last edited by shameless; 08/28/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems kind of crazy to worry about a simply element taken from Mother Earth when we're constantly finding new ways to fill the sky with bird catchers.

http://www.birdstrikecontrol.com/ne...w-push-to-avert-cell-tower-bird-strikes/

I'd say shooters and hunters have their work cut out if they want to keep up with some of the more effective "tools" popularly being used to kill birds. Doesn't mean any less vigilance is in order however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.