Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys,<BR> I was wondering how many of you people like bird hunting. The only birds we have to hunt here is dove, scaled quial, gambel's quail and mearns' quail. hunting quail to me is the funnest, The way they fly and the way they die. the really eat good too. <BR> does anybody else have any favorite birds to hunt?<BR> If anyone ever has the chance, come bird hunting down here, it is FUNN.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I mainly hunt dove, they are the funnest. I have to shoot up all my reloads somehow. Also like to shoot bluejays and feed them to the cats. A little vengence I guess.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Doves are my thing. I will hunt them to the exclusion of else until either the season or the birds run out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunting Bobwhite Quail is my favorite.Unfortunately there is less and less birds each year to hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to choose just one, for ever and ever, it's be Gambel's quail. No question. But I love hunting all types of quail.<P>'Course, I've gotten a little spoiled hunting ringnecks in Old Mexico since I was seven (tell THAT to any dues-paying liberal .. a seven-year-old shooting a twenty gauge. Can you imagine?) [Linked Image])<P>I'd hate to have to give ringnecks up.<P>Been enjoying hunting grouse in Montana the last few years too, especially those Hungarian Partridges.<P>But nothing is as challenging as a self-respecting Gambel's, folks.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My favorite birds are the quail. The Valley, the Mountain, and the Gambels quail. Having hunted all three, I've concluded that the Mt. Quail is the most challenging, nosing out the wonderful Gambel's Quail. But, if you really want a challenge, try hunting Ptarmigin here in California. You hunt them above timberline in September, in some of the most beatiful country we have. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmm, I wonder if my name suggests anything?<P>Yes, I like to bird hunt, any kind, anywhere, that is legal, of course.<P>If I had a good dog, quail hunting would be at the top of my list, but I don't, so I suppose it is really a tie between that and....... I love dove hunting but I sure would hate to have to choose between that and taking those big Mallard drakes coming into the decoys. What a dilema.<P>PS. Youngbuck, I would love to come out and go quail hunting in your area, with you or with your advice. Where area do you live in?

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys,<BR>great answers. I wish I had the chance to hunt ringnecks, I but they are fun. If I ever get brave, I might pay and go to a ranch and do it. there are some interseting birds I have never heard of, but hey I'm from AZ.<BR>offer stand, if anyone wants to try our bird hunting.<BR>if it fies it dies, I live in south eastern AZ, the bird hunting this year will be great. come on down.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Interesting topic. Some neighbors of mine and myself are offering group dove hunts in the Abilene Tx area. The 2,600 acres have been, in part, managed for this season. It seems that some companies or clubs have substituted hunts for other schmoozing events like golf. I guess I'd say that dove hunting was my favorite. I remember high school friends, sitting around a tank, in 100 + summers and having a good time. I never got into quail, because my dad didn't I guess, and we lived in the middle of the quail capital. The area is also running out of quail for reasons that no experts can finger. Ducks and geese are plentiful but never got the bug. Just my 2 BThorp3aol.com

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
youngbuckaz86,<P>I have been hunting ruffed grouse for over 40 yrs now and woodcock for about 25 yrs now. You could say that I have a passion for these two birds and people that know me do say that. I take three weeks of vacation in Oct. and Nov. to hunt. I hunt with Brits and at the present time have one that is 10yrs old and one that is one year old.<P>Good Hunting,<BR>George

Good Shooting,

George
IC B3

D
D
Here in Oregon I guess that I'm pretty lucky. Our seasons run like this, grouse,chukar, huns & quail, then pheasant. Chucar & huns runs until mid to late Jan. I take 3 weeks off in Oct to cover all of these. Yeah I am lucky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First on my list is Doves, you dont have to call them, you dont have to be still and there is always lots of shooting. <P>Teal, would be second on my list. They put doves in slow motion, therefore a good Dove season is essential to warm up.<P>Ducks would be third, and Geese last.<P>Thats about all the bird hunting I get to do here, hardly any Quail around here due to the fire ants in the summertime.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it would be Partridge (Ruffed Grouse if you prefer). I don't know if it is the birds themselves so much, although they do taste good, or if it is the time of year. Partridge hunting starts in the early fall and runs through deer season. So you get the smell of the fall leaves, the cool mornings that turn to warm breezy afternoons, the threat of snow at times. Then of course you have the birds, thundering out of their hiding places, making your heart pound, and you rush to try to catch up and make a shot. Anyway, that is what I like. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
K
K
I like hunting ducks. Nothing beats rowing across the marsh in the early morning... stars so bright, you can see all the constellations. Then, a half hour before sunrise, all the songbirds in the marsh start chirping at once... hell of a racket. Finally, the ducks start moving...<P>After a couple of hours, pick up the dekes and row back to the landing. Go home, clean the birds, take a nap...<P>Then, late in the afternoon, walk a nearby tote road and flush a few ruffed grouse...<P>Life doesn't get much better than that...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My favorite...hands down it's a Hun! Lot's of walking, covey flushes and very difficult shooting. I love 'em and I hate 'em.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here in MI., I enjoy Partridge, and Woodcock(i.e. Timberdoodles). There is nothing like walking through a poplar stand with trees and grass so tight a rabbit wouldnt go and have one of these guys explode beneath your feet. After you pull your nuts back out of your throat, the bird is already gone. I am still trying to figure out how a Timberdoodle flies. The beak is damn near as long as its body and it flies with it's head down! Wierd! They are small birds but they sure can manuver. Kinda like a grouse. But both these birds are a riot to hunt and are fantastic eating.
<br>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent 10 years of my life training pointers and brits so my favorite is bob white quail. But I like to hunt all game birds including the one I don't shoot on the wing, turkeys. I had two favorite slogans; If they can fly in it, I can hunt in it. and When the tail gate drops, the BS stops.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Gentlemen,
<br>
<br> Seen some of you guys are out west hunting those quail varieties. May I aske what you shoot? what barrel length, what choke, what load? Stuff like that. Back around here in Pennsylvania we have ruffed grouse and ringneck pheasant. Mostly hunt rabbits w/ beagles and we get a mixed bag of grouse and pheasants sometimes. Debating whether to get my older Ithaca M37 fitted with 26" or 28" barrels.
<br>
<br>Pheasant hunting seem funnier than ruffed grouse hunting, to me at least.
<br>
<br>
<br> Leo

Last edited by leomort; 04/05/02.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Leo:
<br>
<br>I shot a 12-gauge Auto-5 with a 26" Improved barrel for 20 years. A fw years back I picked up a 16-gauge Auto-5 with a 28" Modified, and I'm much happier.
<br>
<br>The 16 gauge is simply perfect for upland game. You can buy 1 1/8 oz loads, and I'll bet you can load 1 1/4 if you want to roll your own. The sixteen, if it's built on a true sixteen frame, and not a 12, is as well balanced a piece as you'll find.
<br>
<br>So, I'm in the minority. I like 16 and 28" Mods.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like an O/U with Imp. Cly. and Modified for Mtn., and Valley Quail. The desert variety, the Gambel's Quail, seem to "respond" better to and Mod.& Full set up.
<br> 12 ga., of course.
<br> I like ordinary #7 1/2 Trap loads for all. Sometimes I get fancy and use the live pigeon ammo for the Gambel's. They have a tendency to run alot.
<br> If Blue Grouse, or Chukar are on the menu, I've been known to pack a few 6's. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/05/02.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.