Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wildwest22
slg888, 300 win mag, i was thinking around 7, and 22 incher.

I'd reconsider.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Defiance or Borden action. Don't waste your money on a Stiller.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by wildwest22
slg888, 300 win mag, i was thinking around 7, and 22 incher.

I'd reconsider.....

why would YOU reconsider???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Couple of reasons:

Because for me (and lots of people)a 7 pound 300 with a 22" barrel is going to be a pretty hard kicking rifle,noisy and tough to manage.I built a 300 win mag that weighed 7.5 pounds scoped.It was a mistake.

Second, if I wanted a 7 pound rifle, for the range of game you're going to hunt(mostly deer,an occaisional black bear and elk once in awhile),a 300 Mag is not required,or even close to being necessary.

There is nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag;great caliber.And nothing wrong with 7 pound rifle....I just don't think they go very well together.

Just my 2 cents....

But if that's what you want,build it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, Agreed on all counts. If you have to have one though, here is a great deal.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/953061006/Guns/Rifles/Custom-Rifles/Bolt-Action/Rifles_Inc_300WinMag.htm

Great looking rigs, lightweight and already built. If you shoot it and decide that is what you have to have, trip it for little or no loss and build what you want. I bought a famous maker used custom a year or two back, shot it, decided it wasn't for me and sold it for a hundred dollar loss. Save me over a thousand dollars being less than satisfied with what I thought I wanted.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Second, if I wanted a 7 pound rifle, for the range of game you're going to hunt(mostly deer,an occaisional black bear and elk once in awhile),a 300 Mag is not required,or even close to being necessary
I agree 100%. Build something enjoyable to shoot & easy on the ears, shoulder,ect. 7-08 &.308 are perfect for a 22" barrel.

It does not take a 8" lift kit to drive thru a puddle of water.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
BEFORE you decide, may I recommend Charlie Sisk's Book, "Selecting and Ordering a Custom Rifle"?
best $25 you'll ever spend.

Alot of input and opinions and alot of questions answered.

I have it and have read it twice.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
OP Offline
W
guys i have two guns in 300 win mag and love them both.one is a thompson center encore and is very lite.i honestly dont think they kick bad at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WW22-
If you want CRF, why not have a Winchester Classic built?

I too wanted a CRF and Winchester was about the only route I was willing to look.

I wanted stainless steel too, that was easy enough to find in a Winchester classic.

I wanted corrosion resistance but with a blued rifles look, accomplished as closely as possible through using Cerakote.

I wanted a nice piece of Walnut but not so nice that it cost me in excess of my budget, so I opted for a new factory Winchester Super Grade Stock.

And I can tell you this, finding a gun smith that is willing to pick up the phone when you call, answer e-mails, entertain ideas and work with you through the entire process is worth more than the entire cost of a custom in the end.

Remember this, again, it needs to be ALL about what you want and desire. My first full blown custom was EXACTLY what "I" wanted and it took me several months of pondering to finalize the plans. I suggest you take your time, look through many build blue prints and then decide.

This is my end result of my first build; https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...DNECK_sorry_bud_but_if_you_c#Post4200846

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
W
OP Offline
W
dawn2dusk, very nice...i have been thinking about a winchester or kimber action too.

Last edited by wildwest22; 08/28/10.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of reasons:

Because for me (and lots of people)a 7 pound 300 with a 22" barrel is going to be a pretty hard kicking rifle,noisy and tough to manage.I built a 300 win mag that weighed 7.5 pounds scoped.It was a mistake.

Second, if I wanted a 7 pound rifle, for the range of game you're going to hunt(mostly deer,an occaisional black bear and elk once in awhile),a 300 Mag is not required,or even close to being necessary.

There is nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag;great caliber.And nothing wrong with 7 pound rifle....I just don't think they go very well together.

Just my 2 cents....

Very well said Bob, I'd only add that there isn't a thing I can do with a big 30 that I can't do with a big 7 and that brakes are for cars...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple of comments:

1) The very first NULA I ever shot and hunted with was also my very first .300 Winchester Magnum. It weighed right around 7 pounds with scope and I found it quite manageable--and a pleasure to carry up and down elk mountains. It would group into 1/2" with several loads.

Of course, I was in my early 30's then and my notions of acceptable recoil have changed--along with what is required in a general big game cartridge. Back then I really wanted to buy that .300--but it was Melvin Forbes "loaner" rifle at the time, the one he sent to gun writers interested in testing a NULA, and he wouldn't sell it. When I finally did settle on my own all-around NULA, I got a .30-06.

2)I once fooled around considerably with a 22" barreled .300 Winchester Magnum and couldn't see any practical difference between that length and a 24" barrel. Muzzle velocities were in the same range--maybe 50 fps slower, but that ain't enough to matter. It was easy to get 3000+ out of a 180, and that's what a .300 Magnum is all about, and plenty for any non-dangerous game on earth.

I never noticed any real difference in muzzle blast or flash, either, probably because in my experience ALL .300 magnums are not exactly unnoticeable in those areas, even .300 H&H's with 26" barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah,I remembered what JB had written before about the 300 NULA,and as I was typing my post above I said to myself...."JB's gonna mention that the NULA was manageable...",so I knew I was walking into it... grin

But I guess that, to me,I always found the 300's in a light rifle to occupy that very thin edge between "tolerable" and "too much" for some folks....these days me included.In light rifles I'd fire the first few shots and they are not bad at all,but as a range session went on,I'd find myself tensing up,concentrating more,and soon enough fatigue would set in and I'd had enough for the day.....

Fully aware that few shots are fired at game,unlike at the range,my 300's always worked real well for me in the field(I pretty firmly believe that we bring to the field habits we develop at the range;I don't believe in shooters that are bum target shots but hell on BG)....but after awhile,I figured ..."why put up with it at all...?"

And I found that one step down in either powder capacity(say 30/06),or caliber(say 7mm),made things more tolerable all the way around,and the game never noticed the difference.Of course I was younger then, too,and put up with recoil better than I do today,as JB stated.

Course this was all before the 300 WSM which is what I would think about if I were going to consider a 7 pound 30 cal rifle chambered for something with more capacity than a 30/06.....even then I'd like it better closer to 8..... smile

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
On the 300 magnum issue, I have two Model 70's that are only a few ounces apart in weight; both have McMillan stocks, both have 4x33 Leupold scopes, and both are post-64 Classic actions with factory sporter barrels.

One is a 300 WSM, the other a 30-06. The difference in recoil, with 180gr bullets at 2950fps and 2750fps, respectively, is neglible for the first few rounds. After about ten rounds the recoil of the 300 WSM begins to get tiring--I am not talking about bench shooting, which is the equivalent of sitting in front of the TV and having someone hit you with a baseball bat--but shooting from field positions, mainly sitting and off-hand. The muscular effort required to steady the 300WSM, to bring it down out of recoil while working the bolt and to bring the rifle back on target, becomes fatiguing faster than with the 30-06.

Now all that might mean nothing to someone who trundles their rifle from the benchrest to the tree-stand and who shoots a box of ammo a year; but if you shoot alot, the little differences add up. If I could have only one, it'd be the 30-06.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If Your Looking for a Ed Brown. And a 280 Will Work for You a Know Where a Nice One is.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Couple of reasons:

Just my 2 cents....

Agree. If I wanted a light 22" rifle I'd go 308 Win. If LA then 30-06. Neither cartridge is my preference but in this light-rifle setting if you're set on 30 cal both work well. I'd go with 23" barrel, action of your choice, mine would be a NULA. Just an opinion.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hay John.
You mean like this?.
[Linked Image]
and
[Linked Image]
300 WIN MAG, 22 incher.Just under 7 lbs.
ULA.
Its a handful.But it just works.

dave

Not all my rifles are 10 pound loads.......

Last edited by dave7mm; 08/28/10.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
W
OP Offline
W
very nice.
the one thing that im sure of is that it will be a 300 win mag,but im not dead set on the barrel lenght.i wouldnt care to have a 23 or even a 24 inch tube.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What will you be hunting?
And, have you shot a 300 Win Mag before?
Reason I ask about shooting a 300 Win Mag before is that chambering has far too much recoil for me.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
.....and that brakes are for cars...grin

Dober

AMEN !!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 19 invisible), 15,116 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.