Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Going into the Flat tops area of Colorado in october on my first elk hunt. We will be backpacking in and camping 4 to 6 miles from the truck. I was wandering how many bears and lions are in the area? Should we hang our food at night? Do I need to carry a sidearm?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very few. I have never had a bear problem in 30 years and have only seen 1 bear. You should always take precautions, but a side arm is just extra weight.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/12/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not disagreeing with Saddlesore, but my experiences have been different. I hunt the north slope of the Flat Tops each fall and have done so for the last 15 years. The ranch that I hunt is approximately 8,300 acres of private land. I think that there was only one year that I did not see a bear while hunting, and it has not been unusual to encounter two or three in the course of a five-day hunt. Perhaps they are already down lower during the first rifle season, packing on the pounds before going into their dens, but they are surely there.

Never seen a lion, but have occasionally seen tracks around a water source. They are obviously not as abundant there as they are down here...

Last edited by mudhen; 08/12/10.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Colorado for six years, my wife more than that, and have visited many times when I wasn't living in the state.

Neither of us have ever seen a lion, and I'm not sure I personally know anyone who has. I've only seen bears in town. My wife has seen bears while hiking alone, the bears were always running away.

I have hung my food while backpacking but have never felt the need to carry a handgun while in Colorado wilderness. There are some places, in the southern part of the state, where I have thought I might have been more comfortable carrying a handgun but that's when I was backpacking (not hunting) and I wasn't worried about four-legged critters.

In areas where lions are possible (ambush locations) I definitely maintain a sense of awareness.

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the responses guys. I really did not think that I needed a handgun but I thought that I would ask for your opinions.

IC B2

Hang your food. The group the next basin over from us in the Flattops in 2004 had their entire camp wrecked by a black bear. Plenty of cats up there as well, but, they are pursued, so, they will do their best to avoid you. I had a lion spot me at 250yds across a little park (they see color: blaze orange!) and freeze. It stayed there for 30 minutes and waited for me to leave.

An adequate shot with a marginal caliber trumps a marginal shot with an adequate caliber.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have hunted the Flattops 3x and have seen a large bear on the first hunt. 3x is not statistically significant though. I wouldn't carry a handgun since you are backpacking in--too much extra weight. Since you are carrying a rifle in keep it with you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bryant
Going into the Flat tops area of Colorado in october on my first elk hunt. We will be backpacking in and camping 4 to 6 miles from the truck. I was wandering how many bears and lions are in the area? Should we hang our food at night? Do I need to carry a sidearm?

No, I wouldn't pack a sidearm--too much wieght for a backpack trip. You already have a rifle.

Nor would I worry much about bears, the odds of running afoul of a bear are very, very small. The odds are downright microscopic with a cougar.

Having said that, I backpack archery hunt a section of drainage that often has bear tracks in the trails, and about every other year I'll spot a bear flipping rocks in the avalanche chutes. When I camp alone I usually pack a revolver. I leave the gun in camp during the day, because if a guy does get crosswise with a bear, it's seems like the vast majority of time it's at night in camp.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you are disciplined enough to keep your rifle within reach (two steps maybe) there isn't anywhere in North America where you need a handgun for protection from animals.

If you're gonna leave it lashed to a four wheeler or something, take a handgun.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
never seen a bear up there but I had a close encounter with a cat once. really quick & close, no warning. I had my rifle in my hands, if i had a sidearm at the moment i wouldn't have had time to draw it. I had time to click the safety off the rifle & point it basically from the hip.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Damn, Dave! I hope you had spare underwear!
I am glad my Drill SGT (many years ago) pounded the point into our heads to never step away from your rifle. I find that I won't even take a crap while hunting with the rifle out of reach...never know when a big bull may show.
To the original point: don't ever backpack a sidearm hunting unless you REALLY want to take game with it. There is nothing a pistol can do that a rifle can't do better, except hide, and you don't need to carry concealed in the woods!

An adequate shot with a marginal caliber trumps a marginal shot with an adequate caliber.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.