Print Thread
Hop To
R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It was recently brought to my attention that Jack O'Connor spent time hunting in, and writing about the area I've grown up exploring.

I'd like to look into this more, and hopefully get a copy of any writings Mr. O'Connor might have done on his hunts in this area.

My question is whether or not there is some sort of search-able database of his writings, or where I should start in trying to dig up these articles.

I've been digging around online and haven't really gotten anywhere...

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He wrote some books that may be available. I had some years ago.

Jimbob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you referring to Montana, or somewhere else?

R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, Montana.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
rl11,
There is no searchable data base, to my knowledge. The best data base is the well read members of the Campfire. I have ever book he wrote and all the old Outdoor Life magazines from late '55 on until he retired form OL. I remember numerous articles on Wyoming, Arizona, Mexico, Idaho, Alaska(bears) and sheep in B.C. and the Yukon. I am remembering none in Montana.
The specific area of Montana you are interested in and what he may have been hunting, or who with, could help jog someone's memory

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B2

R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Perhaps it'd be best if I just asked if anyone remembers O'Connor writing about MT in general?

Judging by the area and time frame, I would assume it would've been an elk hunt, although that's just an assumption.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lately Ive been tracking down old O'Connor books. Out of the five or so Ive read the only locations I recall him writing about are the ones previously mentioned by Numero Uno.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right now, nothing comes to mind. But I'm sure he wrote a few stories from his hunts there.

I've got a few O'Connor books I can peruse through when I get home, and let you know what I find out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ask his son

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RL11, I just checked my O'Connor books. Looks like El Numero Uno nailed it. His stories definitely reference those locations, but nothing about Montana.

IC B3

R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Armen
RL11, I just checked my O'Connor books. Looks like El Numero Uno nailed it. His stories definitely reference those locations, but nothing about Montana.

Interesting.
I must've been led astray.
Thanks guys.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Check out Jack Atcheson Sr.'s book. There is a story about him and Jack O'Connor hunting whitetails in Montana.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only time O'Connor hunted in Montana that I'm aware of was very late in his life. He and Jack Atcheson Sr. hunted with an outfitter in the central part of the state a year or two before O'Connor died in 1978. I know this because both the outfitter and Jack Atcheson told me a little about it (I guided for the outfitter for a couple of years in the late 80's.) O'Connor could't see or walk like he used to and didn't get anything, the reason the hunt wasn't written up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Doug you are right, Jack Sr. did write O'Conner's last hunt up in his book.

Somehow to me, it was a very sad, but fitting account by leavng the reader with some doubt about the end of the hunt.
O'Conner like Keith were both legends before their death due to their writing and hunting.

In some strange way it seemed just right to me not knowing what Jack O'Conner saw, thought, or could or couldn't do on his last hunt. Kind of a give the public figure some private time with what he had loved so much thing, IMO.

p.s. Did you read the chapter on Jack and Jim's big crocodile fiasco? That is the most whacked out and craziest hunting tale I've ever read or heard.

Last edited by slopshot; 08/31/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,778
Posts18,515,708
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.