Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Alex38 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
First off, I did do a few searches, but couldn't find an answer. Does anybody know for a fact what kind of steel is underneath the "Weathershield" coating? I'm wondering if it is in fact stainless, or just regular carbon steel. The Remington 700 XCR is stainless under their coating, but I can't find anything anywhere that confirms either way for the Icon. I sent TC an email, but have yet to get a response. If the coating gets a scratch or two, will it still be as rust resistant? Found a great deal on these, and was looking to pick one up in .300 Win Mag for elk and African plains game. I just keep wondering if the coating really works, or if it's a gimmick. If stainless is under the coating, I'll be picking one up soon... Please advise, if anyone knows!

HR IC

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My guess is it's carbon steel. Their advertisement of the Weathershield says it is 50 times more corrosion resistant then stainless steel alone. If it were stainless steel with the addition of the Weathershield, then I think they would promote that.

On another note, I just bought an Icon Weathershield in 308 Winchester last month. I did have problems with this rifle and had to send it back to T/C Arms. The rifle would not extract fired cases like it should and would cut gouges in the brass. T/C replaced the rifle with a new one and I had it back in 23 days(including weekends and shipping). I'm very pleased with their service.

One other note: If you call their customer service, try to call at 8 am est.....from my understanding, they only have 5 customer service reps working.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sounds like the customer service reps are busy....

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by jimmyp
sounds like the customer service reps are busy....

Not at 8 am! grin I was pretty suprised at that number....not sure if that is how it has always been or something new since S&W took over.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IIRC a magnet doesnt stick to stainless...
Try that on it..

Ive got one and love it, but have never even thought it was something besisdes stainless....hmmmmm

Better go get my magnet...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Try that on it..

Ive got one and love it, but have never even thought it was something besisdes stainless....hmmmmm

Ingwe

that can depend on the grade/quality of the SS. there is SS out there that a magnet will stick to, it is SS in looks and by definition but not in the performance you would come to expect associated with the type.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...I just had to run upstairs and try it...on a Ruger Sts. Security Six...the magnet stuck..but not well....

Soooooo...forget that theory blush

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Alex38 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Just heard back from Dave @ TC

my question: "Does the Icon weathershield have stainless or blued steel under the coating? What is the warranty against rust or corrosion, or if the coating starts to come off? Thanks!"

reply: "That is blueing under the weathershield. If that rusts or coating comes off���there is an issue. It would be covered under warranty."

Ok so it's not stainless, but I guess it should theoretically be as good as stainless and serve the same purpose. I can get one new for $450 plus tax after the rebate with a gift card I need to use in the next month or two. Should I get one of these, or a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless for about the same price after the gift card? A Ruger Hawkeye All Weather or Savage 116 Weather Warrior would be about $50 more. I want a weather-resistant gun that I can use on trips for elk, moose, and African plains game. I already have a .223, .243, and .25-06 that I use for coyotes and target shooting. I can get the Icon in .270, .30-06, or .300 WM, and was leaning toward the .300 given the other rifles I have and that the .243 and .25-06 are already decent whitetail calibers. Thoughts?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If properly cared for CM has been doing the job for a long time but it is still not as rust resistant as SS. The bore is still subject to rusting .

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 09/02/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the T-3 Lite Stainless Idea given your options.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Try that on it..

Ingwe

tell me it is not so! an Icon! What does the TC Icon offer to the shooting public, inquiring minds want to know!!

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/02/10.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
also it depends on the stainless 316 SS is "significantly less magnetic" I think also 304 but I forget..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jimmyp

tell me it is not so! an Icon! What does the TC Icon offer to the shooting public, inquiring minds want to know!!

Dooooood...be careful now...I get pretty defensive about my Icon...aka " the Dinkinator".... grin

Ingwe

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Try that on it..

Ingwe

Careful, Ingwe. Don't get that magnet too close to your head. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

No worries...the noodle has Titanium plates....

Nuthhin but the best....... grin

Ingwe

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

No worries...the noodle has Titanium plates....

Ingwe

Oh, that's right. Titanium noggin', nerves of steel and a lead azz. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for real what do you think of it? Dave P was blathering about one last night on TV.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For real what I think of it...it feels/handles great, havent touched a thing on it since it came out of the box, and it is without a doubt the most accurate factory rifle Ive ever owned.
The only downside is the weight, over 8 lbs...but it sure does make it easy to shoot..
Can you tell I like it??? grin

Ingwe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've got one growing on me too... though it's wood/blue...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dang Paul...don't let Steelie know... whistle

Ingwe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.