OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Life is dangerous. Proceed with caution.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life is dangerous when your knife is out in public and officer tells you to put it down and you totally disreguard him. Some people just don't get it.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taught that SOB to be hard of hearing... mad

I wasn't there and can't pass judgment, but some LEO are just itchin. I hope this 27 y/o officer is dealing OK with what happened. Sad things happen sometimes.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Interesting, I probably saw that guy last week while visiting the Pike Place market last week in Seattle, there was a small group of native Americans on the waterfront doing carvings, here is the local take on it. The guy in the picture looks familiar.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/426053_williams021.html

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Life is dangerous when your knife is out in public and officer tells you to put it down and you totally disreguard him. Some people just don't get it.

So.....Life is dangerous when your knife is out in public (and that's completely legal, and so is what you're doing, and you have neither hurt nor threatened anyone) and officer tells you to put it down (which is utterly outside of his authority) and you totally disreguard him (which is absolutely your right)? I guess that's true enough on the face of it....

I do completely agree with your statement of "Some people just don't get it." Probably not in the way you meant it, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree

So.....Life is dangerous when your knife is out in public (and that's completely legal, and so is what you're doing, and you have neither hurt nor threatened anyone) and officer tells you to put it down (which is utterly outside of his authority) and you totally disreguard him (which is absolutely your right)? I guess that's true enough on the face of it....

I do completely agree with your statement of "Some people just don't get it." Probably not in the way you meant it, though.

When you have a weapon out in public and a officer it trying to check it out and tells you to put it down and you don't you have [bleep] for brains. Knives kill more people than guns.

Buy the way this doesn't look like a woodcarving knife to me.

[Linked Image]

I do some carving and a serrated blade would be my last choice.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 09/03/10.

NRA Lifetime Member
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
When you have a weapon...

A what?

a officer it trying to check it out and tells you to put it down

With what authority?

Knives kill more people than guns.

Guns kill people? Inanimate objects kill people? I'm kinda surprised to see that statement in this forum.

Buy the way this doesn't look like a woodcarving knife to me.
I do some carving and a serrated blade would be my last choice.

Better kill him then. Are you being serious?

Last edited by Pine_Tree; 09/03/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, what does a wood carving knife look like?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That day local police killed 3 different folks in seperate incidents.

Whittling isn't against the law. Shooting a person in the back sure should be. Even if you're a cop.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

just got back from the po (post office) where i sent a browning lockback back to them for hopeful repairs. the locking device broke. maybe they can fix it.

no, it hasn't been whittled with. grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
First off city code is described below. No weapons in seattle other than a firearm (CCW). as retarded as that may be this gives the officer the authority to approach the individual with his demands.

According to city code, it is unlawful for anyone to "carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other than a firearm."

Now I don't know WTF happened, but when a cop asks you to put down a knife or anything for that matter you do it. No questions asked. If the guy would have done that he would still be breathing today and that is a fact.

Secondly there is an ongoing investigation and witnesses that saw the shooting. I think the truth will come out in this one based on the exposure and number of people who saw it happen.

Last edited by heavywalker; 09/03/10.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
...this gives the officer the authority to approach the individual with his demands.

Except that this fellow's knife was perfectly fine under two of the statutory conditions:
- it was 3", versus a "dangerous" definition of 3.5"
- he was engaged in a lawful occupation with it.
So, no.

Now I don't know WTF happened, but when a cop asks you to put down a knife or anything for that matter you do it. No questions asked. If the guy would have done that he would still be breathing today and that is a fact.

Sure, you might get murdered if you don't obey any thug who's trying to force you to do something. The fact that he's wearing a badge doesn't change that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Someone with a hair of logic LOL.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 09/03/10.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
4 shots?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well since the cop does not have the luxury of measuring the knife from a distance he approached the individual. Had said individual complied and dropped it instead of doing whatever he did the knife would have been found legal and he could have completed his carving without incident. Instead he is in the morgue.

Look I am not saying I agree with what happened or disagree as I was not there, but the simple fact is if a cop asks you to put something down you do it. That is common sense which is apparently a rare commodity these days.

Thugs are different they are just as likely to kill or hurt you regardless of what you do. Cops typically don't shoot people for complying with them. On the other hand if you have a knife in your hand and a cop approached you and asks you to put it down, if you don't and then start getting irate about it then make a move toward them, expect to get shot simple as that.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

Except for the "hard of hearing" thing. That's a capital crime?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Look I am not saying I agree with what happened or disagree as I was not there, but the simple fact is if a cop asks you to put something down you do it. That is common sense which is apparently a rare commodity these days.

Per the article, the guy was likely deaf in one ear, usually wore headphones, and the whole confrontation lasted less than a minute. It seems logical that the guy might not have heard what the cop tried to tell him and the cop obiviously did not spend alot of time trying to get his point across if it went from stopping the car to gunfire in less than 1 minute.

I wasn't there, the guy might have lunged at the cop with the knife, and it might have been completely justified. Doesn't really sound like things need to escalate from a guy sitting in a park carving on a board to lethal force that quickly though. What cop flips on the lights and gets out to check a guy in a park carving on a board anyway?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree

Except for the "hard of hearing" thing. That's a capital crime?

Ah and when you approach people on the street you always precieve in nano seconds weather they have a hearing problem. Your full of it bud.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 17,455 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,899
Posts18,538,717
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.