Print Thread
Hop To
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
FYI everyone--couldn't find the previous post of a few wks ago about the 99 featured in Rifle Mag--the writer couldn't figure out what it was or if it was special ordered.
Saw one in flesh yesteday at a local gun show. Exactly like the gun in the story--octagonal barrel, flip down front sight, Lyman rear tang sight, cocking indicator on the bolt, curved buttplate. Had been brought back from the dead so the owner said including reblue and new color case work too.
Anyone know much about these guns? Looks like more than one were made for sure
Sorry, but didn't get the serial number off it.

Last edited by SteveS; 09/06/10.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
reblue equals death to the collector market

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .32-40 featured in RIFLE was simply a standard model with an octagon barrel. The only things special about it, other than its condition, are the sights. And those sights were most likely after-market additions. It is a rifle with a rather high serial number for a .32-40 and that makes me guess it was made during the parts clean-up time that followed Savage's decision to discontinue all of the Winchester calibers except for the .30-30. The author's statement that this .32-40 was not a hunting rifle simply means it wasn't owned by a hunter. Also, his method of breech-seating the cast bullets is often used but it means you must keep those rounds very clean before firing them. The bullet lubes attract all kinds of fine particles of sand, or so it seems. It's a good story.

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
like2shoot--yes,that't the thread.

303Mike--the (older) gent who was selling this gun was pretty straight up about it. He said it was a basket case when he got it. Said he pd. $500 for it, missing the forearm and it had gone patina. He found a forearm for the octagonal barrel, but it had checkering (kind of like fleur-de-lis), so he had the stock checkered to match. (IMHO,the stock checkering wasn't very good) He'd have been better off sanding off the forearm checkering I think. So it had reblued barrel and reciever, color case redone on lever and buttplate--the metal work did look pretty good to me. He was asking $1,000 and said he had over that in to the gun.
But, it seems there are two of these out there--kind of coincidence if each was a special order done exactly the same? Maybe they were a limited run, or sales samples?

Last edited by SteveS; 09/06/10.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SteveS, I don't think we should call those guns "sales samples." Savage would not have made example of rifles with barrels or calibers they were discontinuing. Like I said, those rifles had standard options and they were made in standard calibers. The fact is that those options and calibers, especially when they are on the same gun, are rare enough today to make those guns quite desirable. And, having one that is nicely re-built is much better than not having one at all. Shoot sharp, Mike

Last edited by 303mike; 09/06/10.
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the heads up on the options--didn't know about them.
Didn't buy the gun by the way--spent enough on my vacations this summer already! Plus, I don't reload yet, so couldn't see getting something in 32/40, even if it's available, I doubt it's cheap. Also don't need another gun project for a while--to sand off the checkering or find replacement wood--have enough projects going now!

Just thought you guys might be interested

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
having one that is nicely re-built is much better than not having one at all.

as long as your $$ ain't tied up when a good one shows up

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,753
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.