Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I am not convinced anyone can make better loads than they can buy.
Well, first you gotta define 'better'.. If you mean it to be 'consistent', there's no argument. If you mean shot pattern? No factory loading will give good results in every shotgun - since that's determined by bore/choke relationship.. But when we're talking about competition - then carefully crafted and tested handloads can give spectacular results over factory fodder.. Especially when backed up to the 27 yard line or longer.. I've won a lot of local turkey shoots by pounding clays while standing at 40-45 yards back of the trap house.. Try that with standard AA factory ammo and you'll find the results less than stellar... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to reload shotshells for hunting rabbits, squirrels and even ducks. We shot a little trap in the backyard and that amounted to about half the shells being shot.

You need a real good (fast reloader) to load a bunch and your time is taken up to some degree. We don't shot trap anymore, I go down and shoot a round or two of "sporting clays" clays before bird season. I simply by my shells by the case nowdays and I am done with the bench work.

My time is devoted to our dogs and birds and that is a bunch. My reloads were OK but nothing to brag on simply put. The consistency changes for every gun you use and so does the patterns usually.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tonk
I used to reload shotshells for hunting rabbits, squirrels and even ducks. We shot a little trap in the backyard and that amounted to about half the shells being shot.

You need a real good (fast reloader) to load a bunch and your time is taken up to some degree.
Yes, to some extent.. The owner must figure out how much time can be devoted to the operation.. If the shooter's into any kind of competition, a good reloader can be paramount. When I was heavily into it I obtained a MEC 9000H - capable of nearly 1200 rounds/hour..
We don't shot trap anymore, I go down and shoot a round or two of "sporting clays" clays before bird season. I simply by my shells by the case nowdays and I am done with the bench work.
Don't blame ya.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I reload 28, 20, and 12 ga.

While you can pick up the cheap promo loads for not a lot more than reloads, I'll take my reloads any time over them.

Better shot, wads, hulls, etc. All equal better, more consistent, performance and patterns.

A more valid comparison would be the cost of AA's or STS's, rather than the cheap dove loads. I can reload for half, or less, the cost of what would be a more comparable factory load.

Excellent post and points made! I was a die-hard AA fan until Tinnchester wore out those machines they loaded on for 50 years or so. Now my hull of preference is the Remington STS or Nitro hull.

I'm in the process of rebuilding/refurbishing about seven Pacific DL-266 and DL-105 presses, to last me the rest of my lifetime. I have dies in 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauges, and .410. The DL-105's I'm configuring to load 2 - 2 1/4 - or 2 3/8inch hulls in 12 and 20 gauge (roll crimps) for when the AA or STS petals crack and finally have to be cut off! Sure can't buy tailor-made shortie-shells I'm load specifically for close-range quail!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

Excellent post and points made! I was a die-hard AA fan until Tinnchester wore out those machines they loaded on for 50 years or so. Now my hull of preference is the Remington STS or Nitro hull.

Those two are outstanding.. I think I still have about 6,000 once-fired STS and Nitro hulls..

When winnie went to the two-piece hull, they screwed the pooch, AFAIC.. I won't touch 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

J
J
I reload 12 ga shells for shooting doves. I really liked shooting the 1-1/8 oz. Win AA 1300 fps load but didn't like paying $8 a box for them. I found a recipe for a comparable load using those hulls and the rest is history.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jbird22
I reload 12 ga shells for shooting doves. I really liked shooting the 1-1/8 oz. Win AA 1300 fps load but didn't like paying $8 a box for them. I found a recipe for a comparable load using those hulls and the rest is history.
Using the new hulls??? Good luck - and be VERY CAREFUL..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've heard that Lee, but I've shot a bunch of reloads using them, and never lost a base cup. The petals split and crack before any base cups have come loose.

Of course, I shoot an O/U, and part of my pre-shot ritual is a quick glance down the tubes right before I drop the shells in. (I have done that for 30 years, well back in to the one piece hull days as well. Just something I "do").

T
T
New reloader. Just starting to reload 410. what is the average # of times you can reload the same hull. thanks for the help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a thread going for a couple days about loading your own steel with not one reply..maybe that will help answer your question!!.....FLEM

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 27 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,038
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.